Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    At many top school foreign players for women’s soccer is a major issue. They get full rides and many can’t speak English and academically are terrible. In state girls get recruited for high grades and little money for scholarship. More and more it is all going to internationals.
    Amerikanischer Fußball ist weich. Unsere schwachen Spieler besuchen die kostenlose Ausbildung in Amerika.

Comment

Oh-Oh. UF dad is on the cry wagon again.
      Just started reading this blog. Who’s UF Dad and what’s his issue?

Comment

Anonymous blog so who is a mute point. UF dad goes on multiple threads crying about UF not being the same UF he went to. Too many internationals, the common app draws too many applications along with rising GPA/test score standards make it too hard for Florida kids to get in, favoritism being given to out of state applicants to grab more money..... etc. etc.

Comment

He can't get over his kid not getting in. Bit*ches about it nonstop and threatens to stop contributing to the alumni fund, like the school is going to miss his $250.

Comment

"Students fight to become Gators and Seminoles amid competitive admission process
            Students spend their high school careers studying, taking tests and joining clubs to someday get accepted to their dream college. But scoring that acceptance letter is becoming increasingly difficult for those wanting to become Gators or Seminoles.

Students spend their high school careers studying, taking tests and joining clubs to someday get accepted to their dream college. But scoring that acceptance letter is becoming increasingly difficult for those wanting to become Gators or Seminoles.

“It’s very, very competitive,” Carrie Bedard, owner Soar 2 Success Consulting, told First Coast News. “The years of grades, test scores and maybe an essay, A’s, B’s and a couple C’s and you’re in, are over.”

Bedard is part of the blossoming industry of so-called “fixers,” who work with students to optimize their chances of getting into their college of choice. Bedard begins working with students as early as eighth grade.

“I guess in some respects I am [a “fixer”],” Bedard said. “Because people will come to me with all this amazing stuff and say ‘what can you fix?’”

According to an annual report called the Florida State University System (SUS) Admissions Matrix, the middle range GPA of students accepted for Fall 2018 at UF was 4.2-4.6, with an SAT score of 1300-1450. For FSU, the GPA ranged 4.1-4.5 with an SAT score of 1290-1400.

“When you talk about, is it gonna get more difficult? I mean, you look at a 4.2-4.5, how can it get more difficult?” Bedard said.

According to data provided by both UF and FSU, the number of applicants has soared for both schools in the past five years. For Florida State, there were 44,186 total undergraduate applicants for the 2014-2015 school year, compared to 60,094 total undergraduate applicants for the 2018-2019 school year.

According to data from UF, there were 51,238 total applicants for Fall 2014. That soared to 62,558 total applicants for Fall 2018.

The makeup of the applicant pool at the two universities, however, is different. The majority of applicants from UF come from outside of Florida, while at FSU the majority of applicants are in-state. Both schools have seen the number of out-of-state applicants rise in the past five years while the percentage of in-state students accepted is overall trending downward.

“You’re not just competing anymore against kids in Florida that just want to go a few hours away from home, or whatever,” Bedard said. “You’re competing against kids from all over the world.”

Shannon Mellish, an FSU freshman and Bartram Trail graduate, knows how competitive the admissions process can be.

The fashion merchandising major had everything a college could want; a solid GPA and SAT score, community service, internships and participation in academic clubs. But that wasn’t enough for her first-choice school, UF.

“I didn’t cry or anything, but I was definitely, you know, upset,” Mellish said. “I feel like when you apply to colleges you kind of already know who [from your high school] is going to get in, who isn’t. But I felt like with this admission it was kind of so surprising.”

Mellish said it took her a few days to transition from a Gator to a Seminole, but in the end she feels she ended up where she was meant to be.

“I honestly couldn’t imagine being at UF,” she said. “Just because I’m so happy here.”

Source
            Author: Juliette Dryer
            Published: 4:33 PM EST November 8, 2018
            Updated: 11:34 PM EST November 8, 2018

Comment

"Students fight to become Gators and Seminoles amid competitive admission process

“It’s very, very competitive,” Carrie Bedard, owner Soar 2 Success Consulting, told First Coast News. “The years of grades, test scores and maybe an essay, A’s, B’s and a couple C’s and you’re in, are over.”

Bedard is part of the blossoming industry of so-called “fixers,” who work with students to optimize their chances of getting into their college of choice. Bedard begins working with students as early as eighth grade.

“I guess in some respects I am [a “fixer”],” Bedard said. “Because people will come to me with all this amazing stuff and say ‘what can you fix?’”

According to an annual report called the Florida State University System (SUS) Admissions Matrix, the middle range GPA of students accepted for Fall 2018 at UF was 4.2-4.6, with an SAT score of 1300-1450. For FSU, the GPA ranged 4.1-4.5 with an SAT score of 1290-1400.

“When you talk about, is it gonna get more difficult? I mean, you look at a 4.2-4.5, how can it get more difficult?” Bedard said.

According to data provided by both UF and FSU, the number of applicants has soared for both schools in the past five years. For Florida State, there were 44,186 total undergraduate applicants for the 2014-2015 school year, compared to 60,094 total undergraduate applicants for the 2018-2019 school year.

According to data from UF, there were 51,238 total applicants for Fall 2014. That soared to 62,558 total applicants for Fall 2018.

The makeup of the applicant pool at the two universities, however, is different. The majority of applicants from UF come from outside of Florida, while at FSU the majority of applicants are in-state. Both schools have seen the number of out-of-state applicants rise in the past five years while the percentage of in-state students accepted is overall trending downward.

“You’re not just competing anymore against kids in Florida that just want to go a few hours away from home, or whatever,” Bedard said. “You’re competing against kids from all over the world.”

Shannon Mellish, an FSU freshman and Bartram Trail graduate, knows how competitive the admissions process can be.

The fashion merchandising major had everything a college could want; a solid GPA and SAT score, community service, internships and participation in academic clubs. But that wasn’t enough for her first-choice school, UF.

“I didn’t cry or anything, but I was definitely, you know, upset,” Mellish said. “I feel like when you apply to colleges you kind of already know who [from your high school] is going to get in, who isn’t. But I felt like with this admission it was kind of so surprising.”

Mellish said it took her a few days to transition from a Gator to a Seminole, but in the end she feels she ended up where she was meant to be.

“I honestly couldn’t imagine being at UF,” she said. “Just because I’m so happy here.”

Source
              Author: Juliette Dryer
              Published: 4:33 PM EST November 8, 2018
              Updated: 11:34 PM EST November 8, 2018

Seriously dad, community college is where your kid needs to be. Own it.

Comment

Your daughters GPA may be bull.

Some High Schools do not require much to get an A in a weight course some have vigorous demands to achieve an A. Real Universities know this and that is why someone with a high GPA from a give away the grades high school will lose out to a real high school program and yes some of those still exist in Florida and other states.

Comment

Some High Schools do not require much to get an A in a weight course some have vigorous demands to achieve an A. Real Universities know this and that is why someone with a high GPA from a give away the grades high school will lose out to a real high school program and yes some of those still exist in Florida and other states.
                  The admissions computer systems may not adjust for the excellent public and private schools. In largel, suburban, high economic area top high schools like Bartram Trail in the article, students achieving a 4.5 GPA often aren’t making 50th in class to be top 10%. UF and FSU don’t take too many from the same high schools and zip codes. Even white females may need higher marks to make the cut. Look at the recent Harvard lawsuit. Males in rural areas could get 60 points lower on the PSAT than males in suburban areas to get an interest letter from Harvard.

Comment

FSU and UF don’t know which schools in the nation might have teachers who are easier to earn A’s. They can’t know each teacher in the nation and know that one AP chemistry teacher is easier than another. With 60,000 applications coming in, good luck having the right sorting hat on to make the first computer cut.

Comment

juco is an options few kids like but lots need

Comment

juco is an options few kids like but lots need
                        Athletes can play two years at the community college and then transfer to a 4 year college and have two seasons of eligibility left.

Comment

How does college Club soccer work? Is it year round? Cost? Do they travel much?

Comment

How does college Club soccer work? Is it year round? Cost? Do they travel much?
                            It varies in costs but they do travel regionally. Some teams are very competitive as they are made of up of some very good players who for various reasons are not playing in college. There are tryouts, practice etc.

Comment

It varies in costs but they do travel regionally. Some teams are very competitive as they are made of up of some very good players who for various reasons are not playing in college. There are tryouts, practice etc.
                              Student activity fees often cover most of the expenses for the college sports club teams, including the travel. Most of the Florida colleges have a men's and women's club team and they play each other.

Comment

My kid's was a few 100 bucks for the season plus some additional travel $ when they made playoffs. Travel was provided by the school but it was borrowing a school van (which is fine) and carpooling. As for when they play I think that varies a lot by school. My kids' team practices all school year but not as often as in season, and the play scrimmages whenever they can get them. Some may not do that. Many of the players are in local adult leagues too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X