Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey douche, are you always a douche or just on anonymous chatboards?
    HA! reading this from beginning, I almost replied, but decided to go to page 2 first, and bam, exactly the word I had in mind. OP asked for an opinion, poster offered it. Ms. I Don't Like Your opinion hops all over him.

fwiw, I AM the Keeper of What is Nuts. I have been through this twice, my kid is legit, and I do know what I am talking about. Poster is right. Driving an hour+ is common for older players on top teams. Lots of debate on if it's necessary, but its' definitely common. For younger players, we can debate the cutoff grade (8th?), it may become more common, but it definitely ain't necessary - and yes, it is nuts.

Comment

That's right. We'll drive further for a better coach and team chemistry. Time in the car is not something we avoid. Some of our best conversations have happened on these long rides.
      I call bs-no conversations happen in car rides anymore, unless it’s one-sided.
      Iphones and dvd in cars have destroyed that once fond memory

Comment

Our 90 minute drive each way earned my son a spot at an ISL team for short money, a DA waiver, and strong interest from D1 soccer programs.

Comment

I call bs-no conversations happen in car rides anymore, unless it’s one-sided.
          Iphones and dvd in cars have destroyed that once fond memory
          It's really in between. It's rare to have a 40+ minute conversation with a teen under any circumstance. Some kids just aren't chatty, period or want some alone time to decompress from their day. Conversations do happen but more in fits and starts. Mine is usually busy doing homework and texting friends. Yes you'll miss all of it when they go to college but let's not pretend it's parental nirvana either - one of mine has already flow the coop and the last will be gone soon.

Comment

Another important consideration is the impact a long drive has on the entire family. Someone has to do all that driving until the kids can drive themselves (carpools aren't easy to coordinate for higher level teams because kids come from all over). That means another parent has to do all the other shuffling. or sometimes siblings are stuck in the drive too. Family time is diminished, dinners missed.

Comment

Another important consideration is the impact a long drive has on the entire family. Someone has to do all that driving until the kids can drive themselves (carpools aren't easy to coordinate for higher level teams because kids come from all over). That means another parent has to do all the other shuffling. or sometimes siblings are stuck in the drive too. Family time is diminished, dinners missed.
              Nobody wants to have a long drive. Ideally, a club with the perfect fit for your player would be just around the corner. That's just not realistic, especially for high level players. Most families will weigh the pros and cons of choosing a club with a longer commute, and if chosen, make the best of it and try to focus on the positives of their long drive (one on one time with their kid) rather than constantly griping about the negatives.

Seems like the OP is one of those parents who would probably do the latter, or wouldn't even consider a commute, which is perfectly fine, but no need to seek justification for that choice by starting thread that will obviously result in people slamming those who do commute. Be secure in your choice, if that's what works for your family.

Comment

Here we go again, yet another TS thread with an insecure parent wanting to make themselves feel better by judging/criticizing others.

If your drive, be it 15 minutes or 2 hours is working for you, keep doing it! And don't worry about what other people are doing.

And to the OP, really? Do you really think ANYONE drives long distances when there are better options nearby? Please.

Comment

Thanks for the thread, BTNT.

Comment

Drive an hour each way..........

I drive an hour each way (plus 1 when there's traffic, 45 min when none) 2 to 3 times a week for my daughter's training/home games. There are large, recognizable [regional] clubs with NPL near us (one is only 10 minutes and one is about a 1/2 hour), but I was not 100% thrilled with the coaches on the top teams in her birth-year (I heard one belittle kids during a game and the other is just all about him, plays favorites and actually labels the non favored players with derogatory nicknames; who does that?). However, I ultimately left it to my daughter and [thankfully] she felt the same way. I also watch the opposing parents at games, over the years, and the clubs I respect and would think of trying her out for is, sorry to say, dictated in large measure by past parent conduct and essentially I personally not wanting to hang out on weekends, with any obnoxious loudmouths trying to coach from the spectators' side (not sure why some parents -- as well as clubs and coaches -- don't get that their parental sideline [mis]behavior may affect future club recruiting and hence, the strength of their own kids'/players' teams in the future -- unless they're wholly uninterested in ever adding depth -- we've declined invites and tryout opps accordingly).
                    We drive the distance and add the miles to the car for two reasons: 1. The coach (won't ID the coach here, though deserving of kudos, because specificity seems to draw anonymous attacks on this thread) -- but that's the number one reason right there (not the patch, not the club, not the reputation, cost or recruiting perceptions); and 2. The friendships and chemistry she has now developed with her teammates.

Comment

I drive an hour each way (plus 1 when there's traffic, 45 min when none) 2 to 3 times a week for my daughter's training/home games. There are large, recognizable [regional] clubs with NPL near us (one is only 10 minutes and one is about a 1/2 hour), but I was not 100% thrilled with the coaches on the top teams in her birth-year (I heard one belittle kids during a game and the other is just all about him, plays favorites and actually labels the non favored players with derogatory nicknames; who does that?). However, I ultimately left it to my daughter and [thankfully] she felt the same way. I also watch the opposing parents at games, over the years, and the clubs I respect and would think of trying her out for is, sorry to say, dictated in large measure by past parent conduct and essentially I personally not wanting to hang out on weekends, with any obnoxious loudmouths trying to coach from the spectators' side (not sure why some parents -- as well as clubs and coaches -- don't get that their parental sideline [mis]behavior may affect future club recruiting and hence, the strength of their own kids'/players' teams in the future -- unless they're wholly uninterested in ever adding depth -- we've declined invites and tryout opps accordingly).
                      We drive the distance and add the miles to the car for two reasons: 1. The coach (won't ID the coach here, though deserving of kudos, because specificity seems to draw anonymous attacks on this thread) -- but that's the number one reason right there (not the patch, not the club, not the reputation, cost or recruiting perceptions); and 2. The friendships and chemistry she has now developed with her teammates.
                      That's fair.

For discussions' sake, what happens when that coach leaves for other pastures? Do you continue to follow them?

Comment

We do it because of the teammates. The team was based closer, we were traveling 1/2 hr when it was closer which was fine. Now it moved 20 min further away which for some on the team was 20 min closer but for us its now pretty far. But my daughter has had pretty stable team for a few yrs now and enjoys the friends she's made and looks forward to each practice and game so we make the drive.

Comment

We do it because of the teammates. The team was based closer, we were traveling 1/2 hr when it was closer which was fine. Now it moved 20 min further away which for some on the team was 20 min closer but for us its now pretty far. But my daughter has had pretty stable team for a few yrs now and enjoys the friends she's made and looks forward to each practice and game so we make the drive.
                          Understood.

We all have lines that we set that we have to consider to cross or not; based solely on factors we deem important in our own lives.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Stupid Parents

It's not worthwhile to drive that far for any reason for your kids. There is also very little evidence that playing for one of the "top" teams matters at this age.

Or you could say if you look at the top U17 teams that there is lots of evidence to suggest that the players at U11 didn't have to play on the top teams.

The emphasis for parents is on the team and level of play, it should always be on the coach.

Every club, even the best clubs, have bad coaches mixed in, because there are just too many teams. So even looking at club at the younger ages doesn't make any sense.

Find a good coach, the rest barely matters until the kids become high schoolers.

Comment

That's fair.

For discussions' sake, what happens when that coach leaves for other pastures? Do you continue to follow them?
                              It's often not a good idea and also really depends on where they're going. The new club may not be better or even worse. Pick a club that has a good set of coaches that you'd be ok if they coach your kid. If a club only has one you're at the wrong club.

Comment

It's not worthwhile to drive that far for any reason for your kids. There is also very little evidence that playing for one of the "top" teams matters at this age.

Or you could say if you look at the top U17 teams that there is lots of evidence to suggest that the players at U11 didn't have to play on the top teams.

The emphasis for parents is on the team and level of play, it should always be on the coach.

Every club, even the best clubs, have bad coaches mixed in, because there are just too many teams. So even looking at club at the younger ages doesn't make any sense.

Find a good coach, the rest barely matters until the kids become high schoolers.
                                Thanks.

What happens when the coach leaves in your scenario?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X