Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Discovery, Thorns not very good, but it's cheaper then ECNL!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The ECNL teams are not 'elite' but did manage decent records "League records of 24-30-11 (FC) and 18-33-14 (CU) in their first year in the top league in the country (whole country - not just OYSA Thorns Academy rec league)" The Thorns academy on the other hand, came in 4th in their flight in FWRL, 2nd in OYSA and played in Vegas in the silver division. Comparing the two is like comparing day and night.

The point being, neither can call themselves 'elite' but the ECNL clubs appear to at least be delivering what they promised.
    But the CU U16s have 7 of those wins. Take away their results and the numbers go to 11-30-11. As a collection, that would make them dead last in the league. CU is far from delivering what was promised. In fact, it's a trainwreck. And they spent thousands to deliver these results. Even add in the U16s and CU is second from bottom in total league standings. CU parents who "think" that they got a good product are in the minority as many thought that this POS that was delivered this year far missed the mark.

Comment

That is actually pretty cool. Thank you for gathering and sharing this information.
      I'm glad to see the Oregon ECNL teams were able to get started and have some good results (along with some bad results) in their first year. I am not surprised there were several losses, since the Oregon teams are just coming from league play into the bigger arena.
      There definitely is some good talent across the country in girls soccer and it has to be exciting for the competitive girls in ECNL to be able to go out and compete with them. I know when I was a kid I would have wanted to see how I could do against kids my age in other parts of the nation and do what I could to be as good as or better than them.
      As for the Thorns... right now they seem to be trying to swim upstream. I think they're late to the game and would best serve themselves and the players by trying to partner with one of the ECNL teams in a meaningful way. Like I said, they're late to the game and I don't know that FCP or CU are in a position to be able to work with the Thorns. More likely CU would be able to make something work.
      Try not to make it so obvious when you reply to your own post.

Comment

But the CU U16s have 7 of those wins. Take away their results and the numbers go to 11-30-11. As a collection, that would make them dead last in the league. CU is far from delivering what was promised. In fact, it's a trainwreck. And they spent thousands to deliver these results. Even add in the U16s and CU is second from bottom in total league standings. CU parents who "think" that they got a good product are in the minority as many thought that this POS that was delivered this year far missed the mark.
        To be a little bit fair minded, the whole CU concept and structure makes things more challenging than what FC has to deal with. Until they figure out how to improve that, the on-field performance is unlikely to improve.

Comment

To be a little bit fair minded, the whole CU concept and structure makes things more challenging than what FC has to deal with. Until they figure out how to improve that, the on-field performance is unlikely to improve.
          Well, if they clean up the coaching assignments, which they did a bit this year, that will help a lot. If you go by the "the club I start in is the club I finish in" concept, or the more commonly named "my club" concept, then CU should have many more players to choose from. Personally, I think more players are saying to heck with this "my club" concept and just starting out somewhere local, but when they see a better team, they move. Eventually, you get some consolidation of talent and there is no "my club" concept to hold on to. The players are going to gravitate to the best team at their age group. Right now, Pretty much across the board, that is FCP.

Comment

That is actually pretty cool. Thank you for gathering and sharing this information.
            I'm glad to see the Oregon ECNL teams were able to get started and have some good results (along with some bad results) in their first year. I am not surprised there were several losses, since the Oregon teams are just coming from league play into the bigger arena.
            There definitely is some good talent across the country in girls soccer and it has to be exciting for the competitive girls in ECNL to be able to go out and compete with them. I know when I was a kid I would have wanted to see how I could do against kids my age in other parts of the nation and do what I could to be as good as or better than them.
            As for the Thorns... right now they seem to be trying to swim upstream. I think they're late to the game and would best serve themselves and the players by trying to partner with one of the ECNL teams in a meaningful way. Like I said, they're late to the game and I don't know that FCP or CU are in a position to be able to work with the Thorns. More likely CU would be able to make something work.

There isn't a lot of trust there between either ECNL club and the powers that be running the Thorns. I don't think a partnership will help much either. CU (THUSC) is already having to juggle the mergine of multiple interests adding any thorns involvement would be more chaos. What I think works for FCP, or at least did this last year, is they are basically taking their navy teams and adding quality where needed. Their teams are more cohesive from the get go and in some cases just more talented.

But trust me, neither team will be partnering the the Thorns any time soon.

Comment

The ECNL teams are not 'elite' but did manage decent records "League records of 24-30-11 (FC) and 18-33-14 (CU) in their first year in the top league in the country (whole country - not just OYSA Thorns Academy rec league)" The Thorns academy on the other hand, came in 4th in their flight in FWRL, 2nd in OYSA and played in Vegas in the silver division. Comparing the two is like comparing day and night.

The point being, neither can call themselves 'elite' but the ECNL clubs appear to at least be delivering what they promised.
              I hear ya.

If either ECNL team did better, you would hear cries about the league being over rated. If they got smacked around, people would draw comparisons with how crappy the Thorns played. Most teams ended up middle of the pack, which is pretty good considering they only had a couple of weeks to get started last year. My dd's team saw an in-flux of new talent (about 5 girls of top quality) So at they should improve over last year.

Comment

I hear ya.

If either ECNL team did better, you would hear cries about the league being over rated. If they got smacked around, people would draw comparisons with how crappy the Thorns played. Most teams ended up middle of the pack, which is pretty good considering they only had a couple of weeks to get started last year. My dd's team saw an in-flux of new talent (about 5 girls of top quality) So at they should improve over last year.
                I know the ecnl clubs had try out, but when are timbers tryouts?

Comment

I know the ecnl clubs had try out, but when are timbers tryouts?
                  sorry Thorns.

Comment

sorry Thorns.
                    mid-summer, right after all the rec teams are formed for fall. Thorns get the left-overs from rec.

Comment

I hear ya.

Coming in fourth or worse in just about every age group is decent? The ECNL people ware quite the rose colored glass crowd.

Comment

Coming in fourth or worse in just about every age group is decent? The ECNL people ware quite the rose colored glass crowd.
                        Sounds better then playing in a state of Oregon only split league after supposedly picking the best players from those teams and still finishing second. Yea, it sounds better.

Comment

Local ECNL has ONE good team out of 10. ONE. FCP U17 is the only team that is good. Truly sad that Tom and Fraser promised how great the CU teams would be and they all ended up clunkers. Even mighty Onyx. Two years ago, they thought they were on the level with De Anza, now they can't even beat San Juan.
                          That team that you say is the only good team in Portland was rolled today by CU. Also, Onyx is the only team that is nationally ranked. They have been struggling due to injuries but the that is part of the game
                          http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-...omen/u16/4/531

Comment

That team that you say is the only good team in Portland was rolled today by CU. Also, Onyx is the only team that is nationally ranked. They have been struggling due to injuries but the that is part of the game
                            http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-...omen/u16/4/531
                            Rolled today. Clearly weren't there.

Comment

Rolled today. Clearly weren't there.
                              I was there. They were rolled. Completely outplayed.

Comment

I was there. They were rolled. Completely outplayed.
                                Too funny.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X