X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Nominated for most helpful input of the week.
    Generally agree that folks spend too much lecturing others on how to raise their kids on here (and can certainly sense that there are specific teams where this is a bone of contention), but discussions around specialization and heading end up effecting how clubs/teams/leagues program . . . doesn't that make it a fair topic of discussion (including what the "science" really says)?

Heading debates is completely shifting rules in DAs, in a way that has some unintended consequences . . . for example in DA games you will see more goals scored when an opponent's goalie has it than from corner kicks, in part because they can't punt it.

In terms of specialization v. multisport, does the science say 3-4 times week training is too much v. 2 times (which is kind of the norm for younger teams)? How many controlled studies have been performed? If you are training 3-4 times per week and playing once, but some of the training days are coever, another speed/agility, another day more functional training, isn't that essentially the same thing as multiple sports (in terms of muscles engaged)? For those concerned about specialization, is futsal the same or a different sport than soccer; is training for/playing goalie the same sport as training for/playing on the field?

I am asking that somewhat as a devil's advocate as I do think varying intensity demanded of soccer players is important, but also trying to get a handle on what coaches/clubs should be asking.
    Last edited by Slow Xavi; 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Your kids demeanor and health will give you clues if you are doing too much. Our oldest finally said "enough" with doing some of the activities and started pairing back.
      That makes sense, although when they are young I have hard time trying to figure out what they are telling me (although when it comes to track/soccer, we've just decided soccer takes a back seat for now, dd is just too tired after those track events/practices).

-signed Neanderthal dad trying to understand dds
      Last edited by Slow Xavi; 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
        That makes sense, although when they are young I have hard time trying to figure out what they are telling me (although when it comes to track/soccer, we've just decided soccer takes a back seat for now, dd is just too tired after those track events/practices).

-signed Neanderthal dad trying to understand dds
        Actually, what I am saying is to observe them, don't ask them. If they are changing how they act and behave, it might indicate they are doing too much. If they are sick more often too. Lack of sleep and tired bodies usually mean more colds, at least with ours. And grades can start to suffer some. We don't jump at the first sign, but if we see a few indicators in a short period of time, we usually skip a practice or two and let the minds and bodies recover. I've also been know, on occasion, to "help" with homework. But then again, I know many parents who have written up a science fair project or written a paper when the kid was overloaded.

Comment

The best live in youth academies in Europe only train for 5-10 hours and play 1 game... a week. More than that is considered counterproductive.

Regarding track:

I've known too many friends who did track and had to quit while in highschool due to stress fractures or joint issues due to idiot coaches overworking them.

Comment

The best live in youth academies in Europe only train for 5-10 hours and play 1 game... a week. More than that is considered counterproductive.

Regarding track:

I've known too many friends who did track and had to quit while in highschool due to stress fractures or joint issues due to idiot coaches overworking them.
            Curious, how many teams train 5-10 hours a week in this state, outside of ECNL/Saplings?

Comment

Regarding track:

Which flys in the face of the number of college bound soccer players participating in state track meets every year.

My personal opinion is that it depends on the kid and it depends on what is bothering them.

There is zero doubt that the track season brings its own set of issues ... tight hamstrings, sore ____. So does soccer. My DD had a swollen ankle for almost a year as a result of a soccer incident. It wasn't until she reduced her soccer training for close to a year that it finally resolved. Sports are like that.

I think every player and person needs to look at how their own body responds and determine how to proceed based on this response. Not ever person who runs track and plays soccer will get a stress fracture. On the other hand some players will participate in one sport only and get stress fractures.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X