Your kids says...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL. You STILL haven't provided an age! How about a real one? You clearly seem to be troll. I don't have a kid that would have been playing against your kid, and I don't know about any recent games with blowout scores. Definitely was not endorsing any kind of behavior based on that, but was suggesting that you provide a few more details so posters know what they are really responding to. You've made responding far more difficult than it needs to be and the question is why. And do you really believe you posted something that is magically no longer there???[/QUOTE]

I think this is one of those posters that likes to start discussions simply for the sake of having the argument. The scenario is fictitious; he just wants to exercise his debating skills.

Comment

What I got out of this..

Actually no need to give specific age. My son plays forward. Been punched several times while not looking... Why? He's small and handles the ball extremely well. Bigger kids get frustrated and give him rabbit punches... Happens about twice a season.

Frankly, I told him talk to ref. If that doesn't work then he needs to decide what to do on his own terms.

It was a bad conversation and one that I would rather not have.

So I posted here just to see what response would be. Most were inline with what I was thinking.

A couple though gave me some insight into how someone my rationalize this behavior because they feel they've been "disrespected" because they got beat badly.

I don't think there is any place for this stuff in youth soccer. Hard play, heated exchange, bad fouls, it happens. Chicken Sh@t punches while player looking other way pretty lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Actually no need to give specific age. My son plays forward. Been punched several times while not looking... Why? He's small and handles the ball extremely well. Bigger kids get frustrated and give him rabbit punches... Happens about twice a season.

Frankly, I told him talk to ref. If that doesn't work then he needs to decide what to do on his own terms.

So I posted here just to see what response would be. Most were inline with what I was thinking.

A couple though gave me some insight into how someone my rationalize this behavior because they feel they've been "disrespected" because they got beat badly.

I don't think there is any place for this stuff in youth soccer. Hard play, heated exchange, bad fouls, it happens. Chicken Sh@t punches while player looking other way pretty lame.
        You are a real phony. You didn't provide an age. Then you insisted that you did, albeit hinting that you gave a fake one. And now you're saying age doesn't matter. Are you that narcissistic that if you give an age we will figure out who you are from among thousands of youth players? It is pathetic to start a thread and get people replying to you and then dance around giving any details that might give your inquiry some credibility. Typical of these frequent thread starters who throw out something very vague and frivolous and then act undone when they don't get the response they already knew they wanted.

Comment

I once played with a small, tough Scots defender. Hughie would line up the opposing winger and knock him into the stands the first few times he touched the ball. Never bothered Hughie the rest of the match. He was taught that as a kid.

Comment

Wow

You've gone way off course. Don't know if you're having bad day or what... But maybe you thought you could derail thread with it? Sorry not today, dude. Find another thread.

Small players seem to get brunt of the cheap shots at this level, that's for sure. I do believe you've got to find a way to survive though. However pointing out this has no place in game, well don't see anything wrong with that.

You are a real phony. You didn't provide an age. Then you insisted that you did, albeit hinting that you gave a fake one. And now you're saying age doesn't matter. Are you that narcissistic that if you give an age we will figure out who you are from among thousands of youth players? It is pathetic to start a thread and get people replying to you and then dance around giving any details that might give your inquiry some credibility. Typical of these frequent thread starters who throw out something very vague and frivolous and then act undone when they don't get the response they already knew they wanted.

Comment

You've gone way off course. Don't know if you're having bad day or what... But maybe you thought you could derail thread with it? Sorry not today, dude. Find another thread.

Small players seem to get brunt of the cheap shots at this level, that's for sure. I do believe you've got to find a way to survive though. However pointing out this has no place in game, well don't see anything wrong with that.
              Did you watch the World Cup, buddy? Did you see Brazil physically mark James out the game with Columbia? Did you see Neymar get kneed in the back causing broken vertebrae? You really think bad tackles and hits and yellow and red cards aren't part of the game? If your wonder kid is dancing around with the ball and trying to nutmeg kids then he's going to get knocked on his arse. Simple as that. And don't start a thread if you don't actually want to talk about it and answer questions posed to you.

Comment

Hmm.

Did you watch the World Cup, buddy? Did you see Brazil physically mark James out the game with Columbia? Did you see Neymar get kneed in the back causing broken vertebrae? You really think bad tackles and hits and yellow and red cards aren't part of the game? If your wonder kid is dancing around with the ball and trying to nutmeg kids then he's going to get knocked on his arse. Simple as that. And don't start a thread if you don't actually want to talk about it and answer questions posed to you.
                I

Are you reading my posts? The whole point is that this isn't about a tough play or a dirtily play going for ball, a hard tackle. but simply somebody punching someone in back while game going on.

In terms of "dancing around" with ball, are you saying that if a player gets beat he has right to retaliate with cheap shot?

Comment

Sorry to tell you, it's part of the game. I'm not saying it's right or sporting, I'm just saying it IS. Tell your son to jab quickly backwards with an elbow to the solar plexus. Tell him to slam on the breaks so the player runs him over. Tell him to stomp backwards onto the other kid's instep. If the rabbit puncher is good enough to avoid the detection of the ref, your son needs to defend himself. Life isn't fair, and neither is soccer, but if your son is going to play, then he's going to have to figure this stuff out.

Comment

Before you ask, let me repeat, I am not condoning the punch. I'm saying that it's life. Bullies and poor sports are everywhere. In the corporate world, they steal ideas, sabotage those who best them, etc. The person they do that to can't go running to the boss, so they have to handle it themselves, take it, or find another job. That's not fair either, but it's life.

Comment

maybe he farted and it was just too much to handle.

Comment

Troll alert

I call troll on this one. If your super skilled tiny kid hasn't been knocked around in town already, than I don't know what to tell you. My skilled player and my "soccer-challenged" player have both been fouled off the ball for the past 5 years (including tripped, kicked, punched, grabbed, and one "Suarezed" in the hand. This isn't new. I don't believe you actually parent this fictitious kid, but for those who might have a player that is playing club, I would tell them to get used to physical play. Play is rough, some players play dirty, some kids take cheap shots. Is it fair? No. Does it happen? Yes. Rise about it.

And you can tell your "kid" what you want, but for the rest of you, I would teach them to keep their mouth shut, play the game, and let the coach know what is going on. The kid whining to the ref is the kid that is going to be the target for the rest of the game. Also, it just shows they don't have enough focus on the game to ignore the BS that goes on around them. With these players, a few bad calls takes them out of the game as they spend the rest of the time arguing with the ref. Doesn't usually end well for them or their team.

Comment

Definite troll. Pathfinder or one of his close cousins pranking on everyone yet again.

Comment

Definite troll. Pathfinder or one of his close cousins pranking on everyone yet again.
                            I don't troll threads. That said, I don't care if a thread is a troll. Why does it matter if someone tells you their child's age. They could easily lie so I don't ask a question that the answer can not be validated.

At the end of the day, I am never going to know this child so I pretty much think of all posts as being a fictional scenario. Kind of like Dear Abby letters.

-- Pathfinder

BTW - I don't think there is one answer for this scenario. Each family is different and how it is handled at different ages will be different.

Comment

I call troll on this one. If your super skilled tiny kid hasn't been knocked around in town already, than I don't know what to tell you. My skilled player and my "soccer-challenged" player have both been fouled off the ball for the past 5 years (including tripped, kicked, punched, grabbed, and one "Suarezed" in the hand. This isn't new. I don't believe you actually parent this fictitious kid, but for those who might have a player that is playing club, I would tell them to get used to physical play. Play is rough, some players play dirty, some kids take cheap shots. Is it fair? No. Does it happen? Yes. Rise about it.

And you can tell your "kid" what you want, but for the rest of you, I would teach them to keep their mouth shut, play the game, and let the coach know what is going on. The kid whining to the ref is the kid that is going to be the target for the rest of the game. Also, it just shows they don't have enough focus on the game to ignore the BS that goes on around them. With these players, a few bad calls takes them out of the game as they spend the rest of the time arguing with the ref. Doesn't usually end well for them or their team.
                              Corner kicks. Best time to even things up. A lot of bodies in close proximity. Ball is in the air, everyone looking up.

Comment

Corner kicks. Best time to even things up. A lot of bodies in close proximity. Ball is in the air, everyone looking up.
                                Also good to let a teammate take care of the dirty business on payback. If the ref is suspicious of bad blood they'll be watching for retaliation and the offender will usually have his guard up against the player he's sucker punched. But a player coming from another position can usually walk right up and deliver the message cleanly. When you deliver like that you go down yourself at the same time. Ensures no red or a double red.

Whoever said "it's part of the game" is an idiot. It is outside the game and can be handled by responses that are also outside the game. You can wait for the player in the parking lot, take care of things on the field or let it go altogether. All are acceptable and different circumstances call for different judgments.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X