Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sit Or Stand

This was a side topic in another thread. Thought it might be amusing...

Do you sit or stand while watching your child play?

I sit, unless it's raining hard or really cold. Why? When I sit, I am more relaxed, less apt to do more than clap, and more apt to socialize. As I said, weather conditions sometime prohibit sitting comfortably, and I notice that I am more intense about the game. By intense, I find myself watching every second and commenting on player or coach decisions to my husband.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I sit, unless it's raining hard or really cold. Why? When I sit, I am more relaxed, less apt to do more than clap, and more apt to socialize. As I said, weather conditions sometime prohibit sitting comfortably, and I notice that I am more intense about the game. By intense, I find myself watching every second and commenting on player or coach decisions to my husband.
    If there are no stands, I stand so I can see the field better. If there are stands, I go to the top row, for the same reason -- and also to minimize the risk that I might yell instructions to my kid :)

Comment

I stand behind the goal. And when they change sides, I change too!

Comment

Unless there are stands, I also stand. I cannot see well when I sit on sidelines, so I stand to see better. Its also better for quick easy escapes from the occasional nutjob parent I might find myself next to. On hot days I also find it hotter when I sit, or colder on the cold days, so as odd as that sounds, I stand to keep a more comfortable temperature! LOL!

If there are stands, I will sit high up to see better. I'm not a yeller at all, so that doesn't come into play with my choices :)

Comment

I like to watch games on all fours.

Comment

I like the parents who run up and down the field with the ball. I want to call them offsides once and a while. ))

Comment

I do everything in my power to be the last parent to get to the sidelines. I prefer to stand far enough from everybody to enjoy the game and not get caught in a conversation about anything. I'm there to watch the game.

Standing farther down the sidelines also allows me to step far enough in the right direction (dare I say on the field, when the ball is down the other end?) to be able to see around the inevitable wall of moms that stand 3 inches from the touchline with an umbrella that could cover a small car resting on their shoulder 5 feet off the ground.

Comment

So many fields do not allow dogs, I am usually walking him in a nearby park.

Comment

bad hips for a fairly young guy...so I take turns standing and sitting so I don't get too stiff..and hopefully I don't forget to bring my folding chair

Comment

Intend to stand because it allows me to subtlety work away from any crazy types. Whether sitting or standing I know where my boundaries should be bit when I hear people saying things like "take him out" I know to put a little distance between me and them lest I succumb to the urge to take them out.

Comment

Intend to stand because it allows me to subtlety work away from any crazy types. Whether sitting or standing I know where my boundaries should be bit when I hear people saying things like "take him out" I know to put a little distance between me and them lest I succumb to the urge to take them out.
                      Same here - besides some back problems (those folding chairs suck), standing lets me casually drift away if I've discovered a nut job or even just a bore. I'd like to focus on the game when it's on. Cell phones are the BEST for being able to ignore a group of know-it-all-chest-bumping dads.

Comment

I like to watch games on all fours.
                        So many fields do not allow dogs, I am usually walking him in a nearby park.
                        My dog cannot type and soccer is not his favorite sport

Comment

I track my kid along the sidelines. She can't hear me otherwise.

Comment

Soccer stadiums were all originally built with terraces so folks would stand to watch a match; seats were reserved for the upper crust. Remember, soccer was viewed as a game for the lower classes (nice juxtaposition with today, huh? Now you need to be rich to play). It wasn't until hooliganism and safety issues with older stadiums that seating was introduced. It has certainly reduced attendance capacity, which is why there is a bit of a revival of the terracing layout. Waits to be seen.
                            It is a game that is meant to viewed whilst standing, especially at field level.
                            We wouldn't all be so fat if we stood a bit more...

Comment

Standing promotes shenanigans and hooliganism. We definitely need more of that at our youth soccer matches. Better than standing, go for a walk during your child's training a 3x per week.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X