ODP tryouts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't speak for the girls but for the boys, ODP is more relevant where there is no competition from DAP - like places like Vermont or Montana

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The experience depends on the coach and the feasibility depends on how much time you have available to make the ride throughout the year including 3-5 hour Sunday sessions. There have been some great coaches as well as some not so great ones including some that took advantage of the situation to promote their own kids to the regional level. I do think that clubs are offering more training time such that playing ODP for more training is not as big of an issue as it was in the past.
      3-5 hour Sunday session...... what? Where were you driving from?

Comment

3-5 hour Sunday session...... what? Where were you driving from?
        Slow down.

There are 3 -5 Sunday Sessions that last one hour each.

Cut back on the caffeine!

Comment

To each their own....but I think your coach was correct. Overpriced and not quality soccer. Throw in politics and it is even worse. My son did it and hated it. Sub par coaching and waste of time. DAP is where he is at now and can't compare the two. ODP does not come close to DAP. Though it might work for some. Always say people need to make mistakes for themselves. ODP could be really good....it's sad where it has gone.
          If I say that college coaches in MA are sub-par would that be accurate? Maybe. The coaches in the ODP are mostly college coaches and some of them at schools you would not mind having your child attend. Narrow your brush a bit in your enthusiasm to paint the program at its darkest.

Comment

Slow down.

There are 3 -5 Sunday Sessions that last one hour each.

Cut back on the caffeine!
            No need. I just rend the statement. .

Comment

If I say that college coaches in MA are sub-par would that be accurate? Maybe. The coaches in the ODP are mostly college coaches and some of them at schools you would not mind having your child attend. Narrow your brush a bit in your enthusiasm to paint the program at its darkest.
              Why is anyone even talking about ODP anymore. It's clearly not what it used to be. I had one of my kids in the program when it was OK, but it has gone down hill since. We gave up on it a long time ago. Case in point. My youngest had an "ODP" player on his club team. Bad decision by the coach to add him to the roster, but he rarely saw any playing time, but when he did, he was clearly out of his league. Nothing against the kid, but he wouldn't have even made the town B team.

Comment

Why is anyone even talking about ODP anymore. It's clearly not what it used to be. I had one of my kids in the program when it was OK, but it has gone down hill since. We gave up on it a long time ago. Case in point. My youngest had an "ODP" player on his club team. Bad decision by the coach to add him to the roster, but he rarely saw any playing time, but when he did, he was clearly out of his league. Nothing against the kid, but he wouldn't have even made the town B team.
                Wow, was this ever helpful. Thanks!!

Comment

What's the alternative for girls?

Comment

That is too bad . Looks like several odp players made dap teams this year. None of them were able to make the regional pool list. I guess new england clubs can't really hang with players outside mass.

Comment

It seems that ODP serves a better purpose for the first year or two before ECNL or DAP are options. I take that back a little for DAP since they now have U14 in the mix. Anyways, the players get a chance to meet players from across the state and see how they measure up. As someone else pointed out, lots of these players have graduated up from ODP to the other programs when they were old enough. It seems that the same faces come around.
                      Now if to ask whether ODP is relevant in older age groups, that could be a whole other question that then makes you ask the question of what a U17 ODP team represents. They could certainly have some good players, but it seems the pool thins out at that point.

Comment

Boys odp great for the first year of eligibility; after that the talent goes DA and what remains Is wannabes. Fact

Comment

Boys odp great for the first year of eligibility; after that the talent goes DA and what remains Is wannabes. Fact
                          Says the phoney tough 15 year old...

Comment

and yet he made your club team, doesn't say much for the quality in your roster now does it?

Comment

and yet he made your club team, doesn't say much for the quality in your roster now does it?
                              Clearly you didn't read what I wrote. "Bad decision by the coach to add him to the roster". Sometimes coaches make bad decisions. The team is in the top 5 in the state and has won or been in the finals of all of the major tournaments.

Comment

Clearly you didn't read what I wrote. "Bad decision by the coach to add him to the roster". Sometimes coaches make bad decisions. The team is in the top 5 in the state and has won or been in the finals of all of the major tournaments.
                                Ooooh. In the crappy tournaments and divisions.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X