Bay State Conference - boys soccer 2014

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weymouth will not be good for many years to come if players contiinue to play WUFC instead of a higher level club. I am not saying that WUFC or any of these town clubs are not good for soccer, just not good for the top 3 or 4 players per age group. They need to be challenged in training and games to play faster physically and mentally. This just does not happen in the second or third divisions of MAPLE.

I also think the coach needs to change his formation from 1-4-5-1 to a 1-3-5-2. They only have 3 strong backs and having the one kid up top alone is not cutting it. I actually think he is best when playing the attaking mid position because of his work rate and ability to run at players at speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Weymouth will not be good for many years to come if players contiinue to play WUFC instead of a higher level club. I am not saying that WUFC or any of these town clubs are not good for soccer, just not good for the top 3 or 4 players per age group. They need to be challenged in training and games to play faster physically and mentally. This just does not happen in the second or third divisions of MAPLE.

I also think the coach needs to change his formation from 1-4-5-1 to a 1-3-5-2. They only have 3 strong backs and having the one kid up top alone is not cutting it. I actually think he is best when playing the attaking mid position because of his work rate and ability to run at players at speed.
      Other formations are a challenge in Weymouth's situation. Another reason to play one fewer in the back is that around the league, few sides are so good in the attack that you need 4 on your back line to defend them. The issue for Weymouth is that they don't have the players with the qualities to help enough at forward, whether you add 1 to pair with #10, or add 2 up there and position #10 at attacking mid.

Comment

If they want to make the playoffs they need to do something.

Comment

Define "higher level club." Which clubs?

Comment

Any club that plays in a better league or division. The should be the middle of the roster so they can develop. I am not supporting any club and have no other motive than these players need to be pushed to play faster. This goes for any town club program not just Weymouth.

Comment

Any club that plays in a better league or division. The should be the middle of the roster so they can develop. I am not supporting any club and have no other motive than these players need to be pushed to play faster. This goes for any town club program not just Weymouth.
              Just checked and the Weymouth teams are in MAPLE's top divisions. Next.

Comment

Does anyone know what time the Weymouth/St Johns Prep game is this weekend?

Comment

The first Weymouth boys team was in D2 at best when other clubs where still playing in MAPLE. The Current U13 are 0-3 with 1 goal for and 13 goals against in 3 games. Don't think they are staying there for long. This is the problem with town club teams, they will do well at 8v8 but do not have the numbers at 11v11. The team is carried by 3 or 4 players but when you get to 11v11 you need more than what this type of program can handle. You made my point with thinking you were saying something positive to them being in the U13 Blue division.

Comment

The first Weymouth boys team was in D2 at best when other clubs where still playing in MAPLE. The Current U13 are 0-3 with 1 goal for and 13 goals against in 3 games. Don't think they are staying there for long. This is the problem with town club teams, they will do well at 8v8 but do not have the numbers at 11v11. The team is carried by 3 or 4 players but when you get to 11v11 you need more than what this type of program can handle. You made my point with thinking you were saying something positive to them being in the U13 Blue division.
                    But grant that club is 1-year age groups, whereas HS is 4 years. If you have 4 players in each grade that are on top club teams, you should have a pretty good HS team. But that doesn't mean 4 kids on any club team, because many club teams are so-so. Seems that MAPLE has evolved to where its rare that a top team plays there.

Comment

But grant that club is 1-year age groups, whereas HS is 4 years. If you have 4 players in each grade that are on top club teams, you should have a pretty good HS team. But that doesn't mean 4 kids on any club team, because many club teams are so-so. Seems that MAPLE has evolved to where its rare that a top team plays there.
                      I think the original point was that these top 4 kids could play at a higher level? I don't think the OP was saying anything controversial in saying that playing at a higher level will make kids better. Nothing against the Weymouth club idea, but fact is, they don't play at the highest level and those select kids could improve themselves and possibly the high school team by moving on to a more advanced club.

Comment

Does anyone know what time the Weymouth/St Johns Prep game is this weekend?
                        Have you called your school's athletic office? If they don't know, check your opponent's schedule or call your opponent's athletic office.

Comment

I think the original point was that these top 4 kids could play at a higher level? I don't think the OP was saying anything controversial in saying that playing at a higher level will make kids better. Nothing against the Weymouth club idea, but fact is, they don't play at the highest level and those select kids could improve themselves and possibly the high school team by moving on to a more advanced club.
                          little doubt about that. but its a big time and $ commitment

Comment

Let's look at their schedule. As usual, they maxed out the games with 20, so they need 20 points. Through 8 games, they have 7 points. On the remaining schedule:
                            Probable losses: St Johns, Framingham, Needham, BC
                            Underdog, but reasonable chance for at least a tie: Braintree, Walpole, Natick, Brookline, Marshfield, Braintree
                            Have to win: Milton, Newton North
                            So in those 6 games in the middle category, they need to go 4-1-1 or better. Highly unlikely. Milton and Newton North capable of tieing Weymouth, too.
                            Check Braintree's schedule. They have 9 points thru 7 games. They also fully load their schedule with 20 games, so they need 11 more points.
                            Probable losses: Framingham, Needham
                            Toss-ups or slightly favored: Xaverian, Weymouth, Natick, Wellesley, Walpole, Brookline, Weymouth again
                            Probable wins: Falmouth, Newton North, Archbishop Williams, B-R
                            Braintree only needs to get 3 ties out of those 7 games in the middle category. Good chance of accomplishing that.

Comment

Define "higher level club." Which clubs?
                              It's not the club that you should focus on, it's finding the right team. At most clubs, one group is really good, the next one is mediocre, the next one is a champion, the next two are middling, etc. It varies a lot with the specific mixture of individuals involved.

Comment

Have you called your school's athletic office? If they don't know, check your opponent's schedule or call your opponent's athletic office.
                                MIAA website has TBD. I wasn't sure if anyone here knew.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X