2015 Girl's Verbal Commitments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precisely!! You hit the nail right on the head. The ones that get a benefit from publishing a commitment are the clubs. The only thing the kids usually end up getting is soundly bashed for their choices. Once you reach the post commitment stage of the game I would venture to say that most parents don't actually give a crap about their club any longer. Getting to a commitment is a long and grueling process and I would say that most of us are just glad to be done with it all. Most of us paid the full freight anyways so the thought of publishing our daughter's commitment just so our club can glam on and take credit for marketing purposes is just not something most of us find terribly appealing. If you need the ego boost of putting your kid's name on some web publication knock yourself out, me, I'll wait for the coach's press release after the national signing date.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Just curious what you think the difference is between posting here and the posting clubs do on their websites and various social media, never mind the national soccer websites which publish commitments? It's all public after you sign.
      There is a big difference between the boys and girls sides when it comes to commitments.

On the boys side most commitments happen during the Jr and Sr years. The signing period generally is all very compressed and the spotlight only shines on the boys for a brief period of time (usually just their senior year).

On the girls side the commitments start happening during the Fr and continue on through the Sr year. With the signing period being so lengthy the girls tend to have much more scrutiny (it can be upwards of 3 years) on them once it is known where they will be going to school so the dynamics are more complex.

Comment

Precisely!! You hit the nail right on the head. The ones that get a benefit from publishing a commitment are the clubs. The only thing the kids usually end up getting is soundly bashed for their choices. Once you reach the post commitment stage of the game I would venture to say that most parents don't actually give a crap about their club any longer. Getting to a commitment is a long and grueling process and I would say that most of us are just glad to be done with it all. Most of us paid the full freight anyways so the thought of publishing our daughter's commitment just so our club can glam on and take credit for marketing purposes is just not something most of us find terribly appealing. If you need the ego boost of putting your kid's name on some web publication knock yourself out, me, I'll wait for the coach's press release after the national signing date.
        No, you missed the point. It is the complaints about commitments being noted that don't have anything to do with the kids. And by and large most of the kids don't get bashed at all as long as their parents don't do anything stupid and/or those same types of parents bash out of some misguided payback motivation. That said, at least be consistent. If you object on principle that don't switch your story when your club might have good news to share.

Comment

No, you missed the point. It is the complaints about commitments being noted that don't have anything to do with the kids. And by and large most of the kids don't get bashed at all as long as their parents don't do anything stupid and/or those same types of parents bash out of some misguided payback motivation. That said, at least be consistent. If you object on principle that don't switch your story when your club might have good news to share.
          The clubs are largely absent through the entire process, then take credit after the fact. They then use these commits to sell the club to younger players.

Whenever these commit lists get posted, it turns into which club is better. Then people start dissecting and criticizing the college for academic and or soccer reasons. It spirals into a bash fest. Pretty predictable and pretty ugly. Let's remember these kids are 16 and 17.

Comment

OP from the boys side here. On the boys side my thread has one purpose. To help guide parents of young players as they begin to enter the recruitment process. The most common mistake I have seen parents make as a coach is they see their child play well on a medium club/ISL/HS team then project that to playing for a top D1 college. They send their kid to ACC summer camps, etc. and chase the dream. I have watched kids quit soccer altogether in frustration, or be lured into becoming depth players on such teams who rarely play or are cut from the team. I needed to gather some facts to help parents. My findings for MA boys after 5 years: Only a handful (2-5) actually play for National D1 teams each year. About 10 a year play a lot (over 50% of the games) for any D1 school. Most MA boys do well in and play for D3 schools. The caliber of soccer here can be surprising good, and between 75-100 kids play a lot each year. I realize this could be different for MA girls. I don't know what the numbers are and don't plan to do any more here, since I don't coach girls. I don't care to analyze which clubs are doing best etc. or promote any particular player, although I am proud of them all. All the information is available on other public websites anyway. I actually discourage any individual or club talk on my thread. It is meant as a reference tool. The number of looks on these threads are high. That is what I want. I prefer that over replies. So you folks can do as you wish. I will provide no more names.

Comment

OP from the boys side here. On the boys side my thread has one purpose. To help guide parents of young players as they begin to enter the recruitment process. The most common mistake I have seen parents make as a coach is they see their child play well on a medium club/ISL/HS team then project that to playing for a top D1 college. They send their kid to ACC summer camps, etc. and chase the dream. I have watched kids quit soccer altogether in frustration, or be lured into becoming depth players on such teams who rarely play or are cut from the team. I needed to gather some facts to help parents. My findings for MA boys after 5 years: Only a handful (2-5) actually play for National D1 teams each year. About 10 a year play a lot (over 50% of the games) for any D1 school. Most MA boys do well in and play for D3 schools. The caliber of soccer here can be surprising good, and between 75-100 kids play a lot each year. I realize this could be different for MA girls. I don't know what the numbers are and don't plan to do any more here, since I don't coach girls. I don't care to analyze which clubs are doing best etc. or promote any particular player, although I am proud of them all. All the information is available on other public websites anyway. I actually discourage any individual or club talk on my thread. It is meant as a reference tool. The number of looks on these threads are high. That is what I want. I prefer that over replies. So you folks can do as you wish. I will provide no more names.
              Your motives are commendable except the world is very different here on the girls side of things. The absolute reality is the numbers you speak of do actually hold true on the girls side, the major difference is the recruiting time frame pushes the conversation down into the crazy middle school years where things gets hyped out of all proportion so the clubs can sell roster spots.

The two years difference in recruiting windows has a huge impact because once a kid hits high school the parents start to figure a few things out that your average middle school parent hasn't the first clue about. In middle school the girl's parents all still think Mia is going to love soccer to their last dying breath and UNC is within their grasp. On the boys side most only start thinking about the college stuff in their sophomore year and by then the parents have a pretty good idea exactly where their son is headed from an academic and soccer point of view.

The bashing is all too real on the girls side and it is not just the parents. If you know girls, then you know that putting one of them up on a pedestal in the spotlight is not usually the most conducive thing for group harmony. It usually sends things the other way into the nasty zone. I will tell you that when these clubs publish their lists it often sets up some pretty tough social situations for the girls themselves. I'm in the midst of it right now. My daughter literally has teammates as well as classmates giving her the cold shoulder because she committed to a college while they haven't. It is actually beyond petty but having gone through it before it is just a normal part of the process that you have to get through. It will actually die down as more girls commit and classmates begin to focus their own college choices but that takes time.

The thing is people like you obviously don't have the first clue that anything like this is going on because you are a guy and don't think like that. What you are doing is stoking a flame that you have no idea how hot it gets.

Comment

Your motives are commendable except the world is very different here on the girls side of things. The absolute reality is the numbers you speak of do actually hold true on the girls side, the major difference is the recruiting time frame pushes the conversation down into the crazy middle school years where things gets hyped out of all proportion so the clubs can sell roster spots.

The two years difference in recruiting windows has a huge impact because once a kid hits high school the parents start to figure a few things out that your average middle school parent hasn't the first clue about. In middle school the girl's parents all still think Mia is going to love soccer to their last dying breath and UNC is within their grasp. On the boys side most only start thinking about the college stuff in their sophomore year and by then the parents have a pretty good idea exactly where their son is headed from an academic and soccer point of view.

The bashing is all too real on the girls side and it is not just the parents. If you know girls, then you know that putting one of them up on a pedestal in the spotlight is not usually the most conducive thing for group harmony. It usually sends things the other way into the nasty zone. I will tell you that when these clubs publish their lists it often sets up some pretty tough social situations for the girls themselves. I'm in the midst of it right now. My daughter literally has teammates as well as classmates giving her the cold shoulder because she committed to a college while they haven't. It is actually beyond petty but having gone through it before it is just a normal part of the process that you have to get through. It will actually die down as more girls commit and classmates begin to focus their own college choices but that takes time.

The thing is people like you obviously don't have the first clue that anything like this is going on because you are a guy and don't think like that. What you are doing is stoking a flame that you have no idea how hot it gets.
                Mother of a daughter here. I have no idea what you are living with, but I don't see your point at all. There is no reason why a list cannot be organized on this site as it has been done for many graduating classes in the past and it was great. Club sites list commitments, League profiles list commitments, TopDrawerSoccer.com lists commitments, https://sites.google.com/site/soccerrecruits/ lists commitments, and they are all over social media. Except for the club sites, the information is sent out by the player/family themselves. So, again, I don't see the problem with having a single source. I say go for it!

Comment

Mother of a daughter here. I have no idea what you are living with, but I don't see your point at all. There is no reason why a list cannot be organized on this site as it has been done for many graduating classes in the past and it was great. Club sites list commitments, League profiles list commitments, TopDrawerSoccer.com lists commitments, https://sites.google.com/site/soccerrecruits/ lists commitments, and they are all over social media. Except for the club sites, the information is sent out by the player/family themselves. So, again, I don't see the problem with having a single source. I say go for it!
                  Here is that thread that I was thinking about. And it all started with Hayley Brock. Amazing that she is graduating from college now.
                  http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=3643

Comment

Pure hysteria. You are saying whatever happens in terms of hard feelings already happens so being listed here won't matter. You just don't want other clubs being credited for attracting and yielding high end players.

Comment

Pure hysteria. You are saying whatever happens in terms of hard feelings already happens so being listed here won't matter. You just don't want other clubs being credited for attracting and yielding high end players.
                      Why is it hysteria? It their personal reason why is that wrong? You don't have to agree with their reasoning you just have to respect their wishes and not post their kid's name here on TS.

Comment

Here is that thread that I was thinking about. And it all started with Hayley Brock. Amazing that she is graduating from college now.
                        http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=3643
                        You might actually want to read that whole thread. That was actually TS at it's worst.

Comment

Where is the 2015 boys thread.

Comment

The list is pretty short and it's embedded in the 2014 thread. Incidentally, the boys commitment process is heading in the same direction as the girls (in D1 at least). Top Drawer lists a few 2016 boys commitments.

Comment

OP for all the boys commit thread here. I normally start it in Sept, as the boys go later. The half dozen or so 2015's are imbedded in the 2014 list. I did not start the girls thread.

Comment

OP of the boys commit threads here. I coach boys so I know little of girls soccer, but I know the tools to access the commit names. I was curious what the differential of boys/girls commits are, so I decided to help get you folks started.

Gabrielle Carreiro-FC Stars-Nipmuc-BC
                                Julianna Chen-NEFC-?-BU
                                Pietra Sweeny-FC Stars-Acton-BU
                                Jennifer Caruso-FC Stars-Brockton-Brown
                                Allison Wiggins-FC Stars-Methuen-Harvard
                                Amber Gustafson-NEFC-Lancaster-Longwood
                                Hailee Duserik-NEFC-Canton-UNH
                                Madison MacLean-Seacoast-Amesbury-UNH
                                Eve Goulet-FC Stars-?-Northeastern
                                Rosemarie Boyd-FC Stars-Acton-Penn
                                Alexa Elworthy-FC Stars-Sutton-PC
                                Eva Gourdeau-FC Stars-Beverly-Syracuse

About twice as many girls as boys at this point, and the schools are a little better pedigree academically IMO. Neither is a surprise. I will not be maintaining this, so I leave that to the OP here. Congrats to all of the above.
                                I see a number of Ivy school here. What does this mean for an Ivy? Is there a "likely letter"? Does it mean anything at all from the school side?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X