Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guide to the NESCACs (or I gotta fever for more NESCAC)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is so much rhetoric and posturing on this site on these issues that the truth is hard to find. Of course D3 is D3 and not D1. That said, the quality of the players at the higher end, and the difficulty of actually playing at that level, are higher than most think. That's what I mean by the gap being smaller than in other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Slice the argument however you want....D3 is D3 and D1 is D1. Yes, gap may not be as wide as Fball or Basketball, but it's still not close. Pre-season and spring scrimmages don't mean a thing. A D1 roster has 25 D1 capable players. A top D3 roster may have 4 or 5 (max) potential D1 capable players. In a real game, with only the starters/top subs, it may only be 1-0 or 2-0 if the D3 keeper stands on his/her head (we've all seen enough soccer where even the better team by far looses on a fluke), but the D3 team would be under siege all game and the shots/corners wouldn't be close. Don't think this wouldn't happen 98% of the time.

Regarding the NESCAC League, yes there are some other great and very good teams in D3 throughout the country that are certainly as good or better than most in the NESCAC, but as a League #1 through #11 year in and year out, I'll take the NESCAC in D3 in total vs any other league in total.
      Re 98% win percentage for D1 over D3 - are you talking about the median D1 and D3 teams? If so, perhaps correct. However, there is a wide range of D1 and D3 teams, and the top D3 teams are probably better than the worst D1 teams. If you have Ivies (decent but not great D1) play NESCACs (very good D3) randomly a hundred times, I'd guess the NESCAC's would win less than 5 but more than 1, because random results happen in soccer.

Comment

Scores like these cause the D1 fanatics fits. Tough to promote D1 as a FAR superior option if Ivy teams tie or lose to D3 competition.

The top D3 teams and players are better than most of us realize. All of us have been spoon fed the D1 superiority line so long it has overly influenced our opinions of other options.

Comment

Scores like these cause the D1 fanatics fits. Tough to promote D1 as a FAR superior option if Ivy teams tie or lose to D3 competition.

The top D3 teams and players are better than most of us realize. All of us have been spoon fed the D1 superiority line so long it has overly influenced our opinions of other options.
          You are correct the top D3 teams and players are better than most of us realize, however they are still not as good as the D1 teams or players.....and I love D3 athletics. Having had a D1 player and a D3 player I've seen enough evidence to make this conclusion. Speed of play and pure athleticism at the D1 level is far superior than even the top of D3.

Comment

You are correct the top D3 teams and players are better than most of us realize, however they are still not as good as the D1 teams or players.....and I love D3 athletics. Having had a D1 player and a D3 player I've seen enough evidence to make this conclusion. Speed of play and pure athleticism at the D1 level is far superior than even the top of D3.
            You statement seems overly broad. The top D3 teams and players are not as good as "the D1 teams or players". What D1 teams or players? Every single one? Most? The average? I've known lots of D3 players who are better than D1 players at lesser D1 schools.

Comment

You statement seems overly broad. The top D3 teams and players are not as good as "the D1 teams or players". What D1 teams or players? Every single one? Most? The average? I've known lots of D3 players who are better than D1 players at lesser D1 schools.
              D1 and D3 is all COACH Made issues.

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=120832

Comment

Re 98% win percentage for D1 over D3 - are you talking about the median D1 and D3 teams? If so, perhaps correct. However, there is a wide range of D1 and D3 teams, and the top D3 teams are probably better than the worst D1 teams. If you have Ivies (decent but not great D1) play NESCACs (very good D3) randomly a hundred times, I'd guess the NESCAC's would win less than 5 but more than 1, because random results happen in soccer.
                Hold the phone, chief. Did you just say that if the NESCACs randomly played Ivies 100 times the NESCACs would only win 1-5 of those contests? And the Ivy would win 95-99 of them?

You are thinking of the wrong sport. You are thinking of one, like basketball, where the better team wins the vast majority of the time. If the Ivies played a team of mannequins they would only win 99 of those games. If the opposing coach was allowed to reposition the mannequins on set pieces the number would drop to 98 or 97.

Without having any brief for D3s I can confidently say that a good D3 isn't going to lose to just about ANY team 99 times out of 100. WashU and Messiah would beat the USNTs a few times out of 100 at the least.

Comment

Hold the phone, chief. Did you just say that if the NESCACs randomly played Ivies 100 times the NESCACs would only win 1-5 of those contests? And the Ivy would win 95-99 of them?

You are thinking of the wrong sport. You are thinking of one, like basketball, where the better team wins the vast majority of the time. If the Ivies played a team of mannequins they would only win 99 of those games. If the opposing coach was allowed to reposition the mannequins on set pieces the number would drop to 98 or 97.

Without having any brief for D3s I can confidently say that a good D3 isn't going to lose to just about ANY team 99 times out of 100. WashU and Messiah would beat the USNTs a few times out of 100 at the least.
                  A D3 could beat the USNT? Holy crap you are freaking nuts.

Comment

My d was told by bottom half NESCAC head coach she needed to be at 2,000 with 3.75+ To be confident he could get her in with admissions for mid-summer early read meeting with admissions team.

She got 2200 on sat with 4.2 - said she doesn't need the support as long as she goes early.

-----

Also, for reference, we too have been told that 2000 is a SAT benchmark for most of the NESCAC schools, or a 30 ACT; there is more flexibility with grades, because they are evaluated by type of class more than point value. Also, the standards for girls are higher than boys generally - at least as soccer is concerned. We had been told that 1800 or 27 were benchmarks early on in the process (not by coaches but by other parents/counselors) but that turned out not to be the case in women's soccer.

The number of tips at schools varies, and varies from year to year. Legacy students also often get in via these slots. And, it can and does change as the process unfolds based on whether the student seems interesting to admissions for other reasons; in our case, the student plays two sports, one of which is just really getting started some places, and that seems to be attractive to one admissions department. So, too, unfortunately, does $$$$ - in schools that are need aware, being full pay may help.

Comment

A D3 could beat the USNT? Holy crap you are freaking nuts.
                      The poster has obviously taken too many headers....

Comment

WashU and Messiah would beat the USNTs a few times out of 100 at the least.
                        I grant you that they could get the ball past midfield a couple of times. And if the NT got, oh, three red cards at the same time, they might have a shot at scoring.

Comment

My d was told by bottom half NESCAC head coach she needed to be at 2,000 with 3.75+ To be confident he could get her in with admissions for mid-summer early read meeting with admissions team.

She got 2200 on sat with 4.2 - said she doesn't need the support as long as she goes early.

-----

Also, for reference, we too have been told that 2000 is a SAT benchmark for most of the NESCAC schools, or a 30 ACT; there is more flexibility with grades, because they are evaluated by type of class more than point value. Also, the standards for girls are higher than boys generally - at least as soccer is concerned. We had been told that 1800 or 27 were benchmarks early on in the process (not by coaches but by other parents/counselors) but that turned out not to be the case in women's soccer.

The number of tips at schools varies, and varies from year to year. Legacy students also often get in via these slots. And, it can and does change as the process unfolds based on whether the student seems interesting to admissions for other reasons; in our case, the student plays two sports, one of which is just really getting started some places, and that seems to be attractive to one admissions department. So, too, unfortunately, does $$$$ - in schools that are need aware, being full pay may help.
                          1800 & 27 is ok on the boys side.

Comment

not even close for the top tier of NESCAC regardless of how good the grades are. Maybe the bottom tier, but since some of those are SAT/ACT optional why even submit.

Comment

not even close for the top tier of NESCAC regardless of how good the grades are. Maybe the bottom tier, but since some of those are SAT/ACT optional why even submit.
                              Absolutely true.

Comment

Curious as to why you think the boys side has lower admission standards in the NESCAC.

If anything, it is MUCH more difficult for a male soccer player to be recruited for soccer than girls at all NCAA levels due to TItle IX, meaning more scholarships at the D1 levels (14 for girls vs 9.9 for boys), way more schools that field soccer teams (around 40% more) and of the schools which field teams, way more schools whose programs are fully funded (utilize all of their scholarship allotment). This has a trickle down effect to the D3 level, including the NESCAC.

I'm not saying boys have higher academic hurdles. I'm simply saying that I find it hard to believe boys have easier standards for admission when there are statistically many more high caliber soccer players available for the coaches to recruit from so I see no plausible reason for the NESCAC admissions offices to lower their admission standards because the applicant happens to be a boy.

The NESCAC athletic recruit still needs high SATs to be a viable applicant. The 2000s I see being bandied about seems about right. But every recruiting class has tiers - A, B or C. A strong program like a Williams or Amherst mens soccer team might get 6 tips per year but only 1 C band recruit (1800-1900 SAT). To be that one C band recruit, you'd better be a game changer. Same on the girls soccer. Some of the NESCACs are SAT optional so perhaps therein lies the confusion.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X