Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I disagree. The sport can't afford to lose more participants and that's just kicking the can down the road. There will always be a disruption no matter when you do it. Either

1) rip off the bandaid and be done with it
    2) do it in a graduated system over 2-3 years
    3) leave the HS+ aged teams as they are and do it for U14 and under.
    Whatever. They do whatever they think will make the most money. That is what drives every decision.

Comment

Whatever. They do whatever they think will make the most money. That is what drives every decision.
      Youth soccer participation is dropping, fast, faster than any other sport. There's your answer. Besides for now I think it's just ECNL voting on it, not anyone else.

Comment

It is a terrible idea leading to yet another pointless, destructive disruption for thousands of youth club players.

My advice to all youth athletes at this point would be to ditch club sports and go with school sports. That is available, steady, low cost and structured.

The club side of things is a guarantee of over priced, chaotic nonsense every. single. year. Have been at this for years now with two soccer crazy players and and there is no end to it. Stay away.
        Unfortunately if you have the skills and drive to play in college, club soccer is a necessary evil.

Comment

Youth soccer participation is dropping, fast, faster than any other sport. There's your answer. Besides for now I think it's just ECNL voting on it, not anyone else.
          Oh well in that case is it absolutely about the money. Ca Ching! They must think they will make more if they change the cut off.

Comment

Oh well in that case is it absolutely about the money. Ca Ching! They must think they will make more if they change the cut off.
            For sure - ECNL would be wise to change the cut off - it was a stupid decision by US soccer when they changed to birth year. Most kids want to play high school maybe college, school year cutoffs align best with those goals. Very few kids will ever make the national team so the birth year cut off makes zero sense for most. Since US soccer made the birth year mandate it has been universally unpopular.

Kids want to play with friends at the younger ages and birth year has turned many off. If ECNL is smart they will give US soccer a big FU and vote to go back to school year cutoffs. This move will also further weaken the DA.

Going to be very interesting to see what happens - and the possibility gives us all much to chat about.

Comment

For sure - ECNL would be wise to change the cut off - it was a stupid decision by US soccer when they changed to birth year. Most kids want to play high school maybe college, school year cutoffs align best with those goals. Very few kids will ever make the national team so the birth year cut off makes zero sense for most. Since US soccer made the birth year mandate it has been universally unpopular.

Kids want to play with friends at the younger ages and birth year has turned many off. If ECNL is smart they will give US soccer a big FU and vote to go back to school year cutoffs. This move will also further weaken the DA.

Going to be very interesting to see what happens - and the possibility gives us all much to chat about.
              Not interesting at all. $ame old $ame old.

Comment

Not interesting at all. $ame old $ame old.
                I agree, and if they do this, they should just phase it in with younger teams. Older teams that already went through the age change have no interest in reshuffling again. Plus, it would only split apart teams that are graduating together (especially in NY where the public school cutoff is December) rather than .

Comment

I agree, and if they do this, they should just phase it in with younger teams. Older teams that already went through the age change have no interest in reshuffling again. Plus, it would only split apart teams that are graduating together (especially in NY where the public school cutoff is December) rather than .
                  Ecnl is only older teams. Does not even start until u13. If this is only for ecnl then it is obviously just more of the continuing destructive spat between ecnl and gda. What an endless sh** how.

Comment

I'm missing how this could be anywhere near as disruptive as the original move. When they switched then, my U10 player had to jump to U12 -- U11 was not an option.

This time around my current U15 son can chose to stay at U15 or move to U16. It only effects people who want it to effect them.

What am I missing?

Comment

I'm missing how this could be anywhere near as disruptive as the original move. When they switched then, my U10 player had to jump to U12 -- U11 was not an option.

This time around my current U15 son can chose to stay at U15 or move to U16. It only effects people who want it to effect them.

What am I missing?
                      If several people decide to switch teams, then teams will be disrupted. It obviously depends on the age group, but those already in HS don't need more disruption.

Comment

This the NY section correct. Calendar year keeps my kids playing with their classmates. Aug cutoff had two grades playing together. This will make most teams reorganize and be a major disruption. These kids already went through that. Makes no sense for NY and definitely all about the money.

Comment

This the NY section correct. Calendar year keeps my kids playing with their classmates. Aug cutoff had two grades playing together. This will make most teams reorganize and be a major disruption. These kids already went through that. Makes no sense for NY and definitely all about the money.
                          Exactly. Would be another major change for established teams. As I said, phase it in with younger teams (there could be 1 age group that cusps the old/new rule), but leave U15+ teams alone!

Comment

Exactly. Would be another major change for established teams. As I said, phase it in with younger teams (there could be 1 age group that cusps the old/new rule), but leave U15+ teams alone!
                            Agreed would suck for NY and Conn bc we have late cutoffs but the majority of the Country has cut offs anywhere from Aug1 - Sept 30. So the old way of school year (Aug1-July 31)was the best for most of US. Guess we will find out soon.

Comment

Our kids play in NY so leave us alone. If the rules are great for Texas then change them for Texas. We have no interest in going there to play soccer in any case and I am sure they feel the same.

Comment

Agreed would suck for NY and Conn bc we have late cutoffs but the majority of the Country has cut offs anywhere from Aug1 - Sept 30. So the old way of school year (Aug1-July 31)was the best for most of US. Guess we will find out soon.
                                The rumor is to straight grade/graduation year like lacrosse not some month to some other month like before. Grad year works the same in every state regardless of school cut off dates. Just like colleges recruit by grad year, teams would be by grad year. Works great for lacrosse because every grade has a team that can go all the way through straight into college! Simple and logical and very popular.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X