Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter club?

Looking to start my children out. Stony Brook or Smithtown?

Kickers baby

Comment

Having been involved with both programs- Smithtown. They have a large base and more teams. I would say also big factor- where do your kids teammates go to school. I would let them play with their school mates when little. Adds to the fun of playing. As they get older it will really depend on the coach in their age range- the quality of which varies wildly from year to year. If they are really into it you will make the decisions as to their path later. When they are little it is all about fun and them wanting to go back for more. If you really want to be apart of it, be a parent coach... you will remember it forever

Comment

Try and talk to families in your area who have soccer players at either club or possibly others. Their experiences are more informative than anything you'll get on this cesspool site.

Comment

lake grove

Comment

Starter club?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            find out where there friends play...thats where to go...as the years go by and hopefully you have an unbiased realization of your kids abilities...then you can start asking the tough questions.

Comment

Having been involved with both programs- Smithtown. They have a large base and more teams. I would say also big factor- where do your kids teammates go to school. I would let them play with their school mates when little. Adds to the fun of playing. As they get older it will really depend on the coach in their age range- the quality of which varies wildly from year to year. If they are really into it you will make the decisions as to their path later. When they are little it is all about fun and them wanting to go back for more. If you really want to be apart of it, be a parent coach... you will remember it forever
              I dont know about SB or Smithtown, but this is pretty dead on. When they are little is is just fun. Keep it fun for as long as you can.

Comment

I dont know about SB or Smithtown, but this is pretty dead on. When they are little is is just fun. Keep it fun for as long as you can.
                Fun, solid coaching/good fundamentals, as little travel as possible. That's it. Worry about the rest later once you see if they want to stick with it (many won't) or are any good at it.

Comment

Starter club?

Fun, solid coaching/good fundamentals, as little travel as possible. That's it. Worry about the rest later once you see if they want to stick with it (many won't) or are any good at it.
                  Yes because Michael Jordan should have quit playing basketball because he was cut from his jr high team because he was not "good at it".

Comment

Yes because Michael Jordan should have quit playing basketball because he was cut from his jr high team because he was not "good at it".
                    lmao yeah your kid is the next MJ.

Lots of kids quit and even get cut from teams. There's a huge funnel from ulittle to high school. They're either not that good, they discover they like other things better, or aren't willing to work hard to reach a goal. Point being don't go nuts when they're little trying to find "the TOP" club. The BEST club for them is as others have said is one with good skill development, they have fun, it's close to home and not too expensive. If you have the next MJ of soccer THEN you worry about where he plays when he's in middle school.

Comment

Try and talk to families in your area who have soccer players at either club or possibly others. Their experiences are more informative than anything you'll get on this cesspool site.
                      I know families in both and I’m getting the same answers that each club is better. Which club has better growth potential for the player?

Comment

I know families in both and I’m getting the same answers that each club is better. Which club has better growth potential for the player?
                        Hard to generalize plus who the coach is matters as well. The landscape changing all the time so do the clubs. What your player needs will change as well. Go year by year and always re-evaluate early spring. Don't over think it. Ask to go to a few practices at either club and see where the fit seems best.

Comment

Hard to generalize plus who the coach is matters as well. The landscape changing all the time so do the clubs. What your player needs will change as well. Go year by year and always re-evaluate early spring. Don't over think it. Ask to go to a few practices at either club and see where the fit seems best.

Email Mark Nash at Stony Brook and ask him about the program there.
                          Email Tommy Lipps at Smithtown at ask him about the program there.

Comment

Starter club?

09 Daughter has been with SB from the start. The programs are very good. Likes playing with her friends. Some coaching issues along the way that the club took care of. Don't think you can go wrong with either club but reccomend playing with friends to start. The early years should be fun.

Comment

Starter club?

09 Daughter has been with SB from the start. The programs are very good. Likes playing with her friends. Some coaching issues along the way that the club took care of. Don't think you can go wrong with either club but reccomend playing with friends to start. The early years should be fun.
                              Have kids in both clubs. Both are decent clubs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X