Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Correct the contract did not name the coach. The past few years have been pretty consistent in terms of who coaches the top team at given age groups and everything we'd been lead to believe was that it would continue as such. Now we have a new person and it is a huge disappointment. I really think the whole process is awful now. They ask for huge deposits so many months in advance and as always the club reserves the right to make coaching and or team changes at their whim. They asked for very early commitments from most of the current players a week before the first tryouts, then held the scheduled tryouts last week and all of a sudden decided to add more tryouts again 2 weeks from now. The whole process is very stressful for the kids and the families because the club basically says they can make changes "as they see fit."
    Tryouts or ID clinics? What club is already having "official" tryouts for next year?

Comment

Club contracts are intentionally vague - they basically just say you're on x team and that includes x practices a week and so many tournaments. That's it. That way clubs don't have to be held to much of anything. At this point in the year they might not have all their coaching assignments lined up plus coaches can leave unexpectedly. Safest bet is don't sign and pay if the club has more bad than good coaches. If you feel pressured to sign know you'll probably lose your deposit if you change your mind. This time of year clubs won't care about the rest of the contract - any decent club can probably fill your slot easily with someone else and they made a few bucks in the process. Cha ching

Comment

Ha, this is very timely thread. Our club's offer doesn't even say you made a specific team - they say you're rostered with the club and may potentially move up or down based on "development" throughout the year. I think it is so they can keep first team offers in their pocket to lure outside kids to come in.

Comment

So if you really were unhappy with things based on new information, the only way out is to basically eat the initial payment and ask to be released? We have a big concern over who is coaching our team next year, to the extent that I would be willing to walk from the money to avoid playing for this person.
          Why would you put money down and agree to next year without knowing the specific details of the team (like coach, league, # of practices in Fall/Winter/Spring, location of practices ....)?

Comment

Ha, this is very timely thread. Our club's offer doesn't even say you made a specific team - they say you're rostered with the club and may potentially move up or down based on "development" throughout the year. I think it is so they can keep first team offers in their pocket to lure outside kids to come in.
            Likely. I'd call them out on it, personally.

That being said, I'm in favor of more fluid rosters, but good luck with someone getting patched and then having to play down with the common folk later on.....

Comment

That being said, I'm in favor of more fluid rosters, but good luck with someone getting patched and then having to play down with the common folk later on.....
              The problem with this is $. If you have a club with 3 teams ECNL, ECRL, and then NPL, you basically make 60 kids frantic and clamoring for ECNL and charge that price only to drop 40 of them out of the ECNL player pool. Clubs are taking advantage of "ECNL" name with the ECRL and NPL teams full of kids that have no chance. Prices for each team should reflect that as well.

Comment

Why would you put money down and agree to next year without knowing the specific details of the team (like coach, league, # of practices in Fall/Winter/Spring, location of practices ....)?
                Call it being new to club sports, naive and not realizing that this is not normal.

Comment

Call it being new to club sports, naive and not realizing that this is not normal.
                  I guess, but people need to realize that you are the paying customer. You don't turn your car over to your mechanic and tell them to fix anything you find wrong and I'll pay you when i pick it up. Parents have every right to ask these questions and you should try to get the answers in writing (from their site or emails) before you are sign any contract or put down a a penny (regardless of how legal the contract is). Changes to agreed upon teams, leagues, coaches, practice counts/locations, tournaments ..... all amount to breach of contract and you would probably have a leg to stand on to back out if you needed to. More importantly, you are not likely to be bait-and-switched and put your family and kid into a bad situation that you did not sign up (passing up on a better option). I would be EXTREMELY leery of vague answers like "agreeing to play for xyz club" rather than specifying a specific team, coach, and league. I also ask for max roster count as I dont want my kid to be on huge rosters. We left an ECNL club a few years ago because the only thing in writing was the huge cost. All of the other important stuff was TBD. Sorry folks, it is a business ..... that large club had TBD stuff at the point of tryouts and offers because they were pulling some shady stuff .... they did and the people that stayed got sold a bill of goods that they were irate at for the entire season (coach was different than they believed they would get, and practices were only twice a week outdoor and indoor league play was only for a single session). Definitely was not worth what they were charging.

Comment

I guess, but people need to realize that you are the paying customer. You don't turn your car over to your mechanic and tell them to fix anything you find wrong and I'll pay you when i pick it up. Parents have every right to ask these questions and you should try to get the answers in writing (from their site or emails) before you are sign any contract or put down a a penny (regardless of how legal the contract is). Changes to agreed upon teams, leagues, coaches, practice counts/locations, tournaments ..... all amount to breach of contract and you would probably have a leg to stand on to back out if you needed to. More importantly, you are not likely to be bait-and-switched and put your family and kid into a bad situation that you did not sign up (passing up on a better option). I would be EXTREMELY leery of vague answers like "agreeing to play for xyz club" rather than specifying a specific team, coach, and league. I also ask for max roster count as I dont want my kid to be on huge rosters. We left an ECNL club a few years ago because the only thing in writing was the huge cost. All of the other important stuff was TBD. Sorry folks, it is a business ..... that large club had TBD stuff at the point of tryouts and offers because they were pulling some shady stuff .... they did and the people that stayed got sold a bill of goods that they were irate at for the entire season (coach was different than they believed they would get, and practices were only twice a week outdoor and indoor league play was only for a single session). Definitely was not worth what they were charging.
                    What service business wouldn’t want the ability to make changes or substitutions? Sh*t happens and no one can guarantee everyone gets what they had in their mind. I’ve never seen a contract guaranteeing coaches, roster sizes, playing time, etc. And what would you do if a contract like that was “breached”? Lawyers and court costs would exceed the contract value. If the club wanted to be tough, they could have you hounded by collectors. No one wins in that scenario. At the end of the day, you take your chances and if you are unhappy you tell the club. Most good ones will try to accommodate you in some fashion. Maybe you won’t be totally satisfied, but they’ll try. If they don’t and you’re totally unsatisfied, then leave and tell everyone you meet about your experience with that club.

Comment

What service business wouldn’t want the ability to make changes or substitutions? Sh*t happens and no one can guarantee everyone gets what they had in their mind. I’ve never seen a contract guaranteeing coaches, roster sizes, playing time, etc. And what would you do if a contract like that was “breached”? Lawyers and court costs would exceed the contract value. If the club wanted to be tough, they could have you hounded by collectors. No one wins in that scenario. At the end of the day, you take your chances and if you are unhappy you tell the club. Most good ones will try to accommodate you in some fashion. Maybe you won’t be totally satisfied, but they’ll try. If they don’t and you’re totally unsatisfied, then leave and tell everyone you meet about your experience with that club.
                      Listen, I get stuff can happen, but plan for what you think you have and then you can explain what happened if something suddenly changes. Clubs do not want to play because they want to do whatever they can to make as much money as they can (not because sh*t happens). Any parent signing up should know who their coach will be, which team their kids will be on (including the league they will play in) and then the specifics about the amounts of games, practices, locations, tournaments, costs (including kit and if coaches fees are extra) ...... this stuff is basic and every club worth anything should have this information out a week or two prior to tryouts. The issue really gets sticky when clubs are trying kids out in February and March to lock them in and has no idea if they are losing coaches yet or not. All clubs should stop being underhanded and have tryouts at the end of May and into June. If you have to have them in january, go ahead, but let people off the hook when they agree to whatever is promised and then you change it .... like promising sir alex as coach as your next ECNL coach and then winding up on the ECRL roster with Mary's dad as the coach .... all for the same cost. Clubs need to be more honest and transparent and do a better job planning. It's getting old and I think people are starting to scrutinize them more for good reason.

Comment

Great in theory but will never fly with today's parents. It's how it works abroad but there toure getting better coaching, paying practically nothing and parents understand the game.

Comment

Great in theory but will never fly with today's parents. It's how it works abroad but there toure getting better coaching, paying practically nothing and parents understand the game.
                          Clubs offer the spots to players to help alleviate the stress for families during this stressful time period.

Comment

Never understood why so many kids play soccer in this country.
                            Nobody’s happy with the coaching, development or travel
                            And nobody understands a damn thing

Comment

Clubs offer the spots to players to help alleviate the stress for families during this stressful time period.
                              Aren’t they just wonderful...just makes you all warm and fuzzy.

Until they don’t offer your kid the spot.
                              There is no stress alleviation offered-it is a business proposition

Comment

I’ve never understood why all the stress over youth soccer tryouts. It’s youth soccer, for crying out loud. There is no shortage of clubs out there that will keep your kid playing and learning the game. Just keep playing. You’ll be fine.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X