Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    First of all, congrats your kid got the invite.

Let me explain this to you. If your kid on an ECNL/DA roster their names are basically sold to colleges which use them for marketing purposes.

My kid is playing at a mid major program next year. Good player, not a superstar. She gets invited to 7 to 8 ID clinics a week and a countless number of these commercially driven pay to play ID clinics.

Any elitism that you sense related to these camps is 100% fabricated by the organizers. If your kid plays Glastonbury travel and you have $160.....guess what you are now elite/high level. Kids that play in lesser clubs just have another check to write.

This is actually a new low.

OK, you obviously have comprehension problems. This is not a regular college ID camp, and the colleges are not emailing the players. The players who were emailed were nominated by their club coaches, And not every player on the ECNL, DA, or NPL teams were invited, only a handful on each according to reports. I would assume there were more invited from the stronger teams, and less from the weaker teams. The showcase is 9 AM to 6 PM and costs $250, which is pretty good deal IMO, especially considering the caliber of colleges that will be coming in to watch.

Now the $160 Is for a 90 minute evaluation to see if you can earn an invite to the showcase. Completely separate thing. My kid did not get an invite, but I would sign her up if she did get one. We will NOT be signing up for the evaluation.

I get that people are confusing this with the hundreds of regular College Camp ID emails we all get weekly, but I do see this as more exclusive. If you got an invite and don’t want to send your kid, by all means take the hard pass. But what I see is a bunch of people who did not get the invite dissing it and attempting to Do you live Jeremiah delegitimize it, to make themselves feel better.
    I

Comment

It's 90 minutes and it's only a chance to be evaluated for a chance to be invited to the actual showcase. It's not the actual showcase.

You are exactly what they are looking for....tell your friends.
      You may be exactly one who fears the chance the bubble might be compromised. The machinery of the Youth Soccer Industry leaves out so many children that can't afford the cost of participation, and perhaps an opportunity to achieve. The near total control by adults of youth sports endeavors is a relatively new aspect of the history, as in the past, huge majorities of some of the best athletes in history emerged without it such structure and control.

Its a free country .

Comment

OK, you obviously have comprehension problems. This is not a regular college ID camp, and the colleges are not emailing the players. The players who were emailed were nominated by their club coaches, And not every player on the ECNL, DA, or NPL teams were invited, only a handful on each according to reports. I would assume there were more invited from the stronger teams, and less from the weaker teams. The showcase is 9 AM to 6 PM and costs $250, which is pretty good deal IMO, especially considering the caliber of colleges that will be coming in to watch.

Now the $160 Is for a 90 minute evaluation to see if you can earn an invite to the showcase. Completely separate thing. My kid did not get an invite, but I would sign her up if she did get one. We will NOT be signing up for the evaluation.

I get that people are confusing this with the hundreds of regular College Camp ID emails we all get weekly, but I do see this as more exclusive. If you got an invite and don’t want to send your kid, by all means take the hard pass. But what I see is a bunch of people who did not get the invite dissing it and attempting to Do you live Jeremiah delegitimize it, to make themselves feel better.
        I

Haha, where the Jeremiah phrase came from? Maybe a weird autocorrect of the word delegitimize that my fat finger caused and old eyes missed on my phone.

Comment

You may be exactly one who fears the chance the bubble might be compromised. The machinery of the Youth Soccer Industry leaves out so many children that can't afford the cost of participation, and perhaps an opportunity to achieve. The near total control by adults of youth sports endeavors is a relatively new aspect of the history, as in the past, huge majorities of some of the best athletes in history emerged without it such structure and control.

Its a free country .
          Never underestimated the power of a good old Ponzi scheme!

$160 Initial Observation + $250 For the actual ID Camp

$410 for handful of coaches to hang out on their phones for the day to then send your kid a "personal" invite to "their camp" for a closer look. BTW, that's another $125.

Each school recruits 6 to 8 kids annually. 90% of them come from ECNL or DA clubs when talking D1. Some of which get no money or a just academic money. Yet, they have no issue taking $125 from 200 + kids.

You are more than welcome to break into the bubble my friend. This is capitalism in it's purest form!

Comment

There is a thread over on the MA board discussing this invite only showcase for girls. Apparently there are some top colleges coming including all of the D1 final 4 schools and NT coaches. It is run by AF formerly of BC. I am reading that only the top players on the top teams are getting an invite, and was wondering if any CT team players have been getting these invites too, since ya know, CT is New England.

https://www.foleyathleticadvising.com/college-showcase/

Expect this to be shutdown. It's illegal.

the rules clearly state camps have to open to any all regardless of ability level, restricted only by age, gender

Comment

$410 for handful of coaches to hang out on their phones for the day to then send your kid a "personal" invite to "their camp" for a closer look. BTW, that's another $125.

Each school recruits 6 to 8 kids annually. 90% of them come from ECNL or DA clubs when talking D1. Some of which get no money or a just academic money. Yet, they have no issue taking $125 from 200 + kids.

You are more than welcome to break into the bubble my friend. This is capitalism in it's purest form!
              And you don't think " capitalism in it's finest form " isn't evident in the bloated, discriminatory structure that has evolved over the past 25- 30 years ?

The cost of Youth Soccer in that time period compared to the CPI ?

Comment

Different poster. My kid got an invite, and will be attending one day. $250 for a 9 hour camp among some of the strongest players in the region, in front of some of the top college programs in the country. Not a bad deal imo. If nothing else, she’ll get an awesome soccer experience. If you don’t think it’s worth it, that’s your prerogative. But if you did not get the invite, I agree with OP... smacks of jealousy.

Comment

Expect this to be shutdown. It's illegal.

the rules clearly state camps have to open to any all regardless of ability level, restricted only by age, gender
                  But it’s not a camp. It’s a showcase. And invite only showcases are held in football and basketball all the time. Pretty sure the people involved in this no the rules and what is allowed and what isn’t.

Comment

Different poster. My kid got an invite, and will be attending one day. $250 for a 9 hour camp among some of the strongest players in the region, in front of some of the top college programs in the country. Not a bad deal imo. If nothing else, she’ll get an awesome soccer experience. If you don’t think it’s worth it, that’s your prerogative. But if you did not get the invite, I agree with OP... smacks of jealousy.
                    Good for you. And if your player does well, she might dislodge the pay to play parent's player who has positioned themselves where they think they need to be. Upsetting the apple cart so to speak. That's great.

Comment

Good for you. And if your player does well, she might dislodge the pay to play parent's player who has positioned themselves where they think they need to be. Upsetting the apple cart so to speak. That's great.
                      No clue what this means?

Comment

No clue what this means?
                        denude the smug

Comment

My kid is committed to a Division 1 program and has a decent combination of athletic and academic money. She'll be starting her journey in August. No jealousy here....trust me.

As you get deeper into the process, the amount of folks looking to get into your pocket becomes insane. Club soccer is very expensive and so is the travel. Many people also fall into the ODP trap which throws further gas onto fire. There are also professional recruiting services, private trainers and three dozen folks that will gladly video your games for a handsome fee.

When you start speaking with college coaches (which happens when your kid actually starts getting recruited and invited onto a few campus(s) you'll quickly learn that most if not all strongly discourage the cattle call mixed events. They are impersonal and not ideal for either party.

Recruiting is a two way experience. Schools/coaches are looking for players that are interested in that school and are the right fit both academically and athletically. That's almost impossible to figure out at an event with dozens of schools because the coach won't be able to interact with your player.

Players on top club teams that travel to Jeff Cup, PDA, FL etc simply don't need these events. Exposure comes from the kid reaching out to coaches to draw them to the events and then follow up at their on campus recruiting events.

Comment

A rare reasonable, even useful TS post. Let the bashing begin.

Comment

My kid is committed to a Division 1 program and has a decent combination of athletic and academic money. She'll be starting her journey in August. No jealousy here....trust me.

As you get deeper into the process, the amount of folks looking to get into your pocket becomes insane. Club soccer is very expensive and so is the travel. Many people also fall into the ODP trap which throws further gas onto fire. There are also professional recruiting services, private trainers and three dozen folks that will gladly video your games for a handsome fee.

When you start speaking with college coaches (which happens when your kid actually starts getting recruited and invited onto a few campus(s) you'll quickly learn that most if not all strongly discourage the cattle call mixed events. They are impersonal and not ideal for either party.

Recruiting is a two way experience. Schools/coaches are looking for players that are interested in that school and are the right fit both academically and athletically. That's almost impossible to figure out at an event with dozens of schools because the coach won't be able to interact with your player.

Players on top club teams that travel to Jeff Cup, PDA, FL etc simply don't need these events. Exposure comes from the kid reaching out to coaches to draw them to the events and then follow up at their on campus recruiting events.
                              Doing one doesn't preclude doing the other.

Comment

No, but why do this when it’s definitely NOT the path to college or NT? Not the OP; another person whose kid has a good situation awaiting following HS graduation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X