Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Kids on my sons preteen club team don't know how to get wide / open up in spite of it being something the coach 'once' taught them and brings up occasionally. I watch games every weekend where the middle is clogged with bodies but that's where the ball goes every time (because no one is open or even goes to the space on the outside). The middle is so crowded the kid who receives the ball (assuming it went to the same teams foot) has about a second to react before someones from the other team is on the ball and we turn it over. And he can't go wide with the ball because there's no one in a forward position playing wide. How hard is it to see that happening and say something to correct it???
    I constantly see wide open wingers yes getting passes up from middies. They’d rather just play it into pressure in the middle, and lose the ball, ALL THE TIME

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2465585]I constantly see wide open wingers yes getting passes up from middies. They’d rather just play it into pressure in the middle, and lose the ball, ALL THE TIME[/QUOTE
      Correction: Wide open wingers NOT getting passes from middies that constantly play it into pressure and lose the ball.

Comment

Kids on my sons preteen club team don't know how to get wide / open up in spite of it being something the coach 'once' taught them and brings up occasionally. I watch games every weekend where the middle is clogged with bodies but that's where the ball goes every time (because no one is open or even goes to the space on the outside). The middle is so crowded the kid who receives the ball (assuming it went to the same teams foot) has about a second to react before someones from the other team is on the ball and we turn it over. And he can't go wide with the ball because there's no one in a forward position playing wide. How hard is it to see that happening and say something to correct it???
        I totally agree with this and the thing that doesn't make sense is the coach (and players) not seeing how wide open the outside is and not utilizing it. On defense they are taught to be more compact and take away the middle of the field. Why can't the coach or any of the players then deduce that if this is true, the outsides of the field should be relatively sparse of defenders and a prime place to play?!?! I never hear the coaches of my kids saying anything. When the kid with the ball dribbles right down the heart of the field trying to beat 6 kids or playing 4-yard passes to teammates that are blanketed by defenders, they never say anything .... and the people he should be saying stuff to are the outside mids and backs (and forwards). "Why are you all not very wide?? You are forcing us to play down the heavily-guarded middle of the field!!!". By not getting wide, the only options are bad options down the middle of the field and defenders are not being forced to make decisions because they can cover two or three players each (and have plenty of cover from their own teammates in case they miss). It's a simple game if you make it such. I am so envious watching disciplined teams that get it that have wings and OBs that consistently stay outside the width of the penalty area. I cant believe that everyone doesnt see the benefits that great spacing and positioning afford teams.

Comment

I constantly see wide open wingers yes getting passes up from middies. They’d rather just play it into pressure in the middle, and lose the ball, ALL THE TIME
          Players would like to play wide and are taught to play wide, however often the midfielders are poor at passing out wide, switching the field is also seldom. So the wide players start caving in.

Comment

I see this in the older ages even college level too. It is as if they still hear their u-little coaches yelling pass it to the middle. This limits their ability to be creative. Soccer iq.

Comment

Players would like to play wide and are taught to play wide, however often the midfielders are poor at passing out wide, switching the field is also seldom. So the wide players start caving in.
              True. Most middies like to pass straight ahead, if they pass at all. Most times they are carrying the ball to the top of the box (because it requires a little more to actually bring the ball into the box) and just shooting. Another u-little bad habit.

Comment

I am stuck right now on the chicken and the egg phenomenon. Are central players not playing the ball wide because kids are not there or are kids not getting wide because they know it is a wasted effort? Probably a lot of both. Either way, coaches need to make their players understand why and play like that .... not all of the time, but they should learn to play like that to see the benefits (and shortcomings on turnovers and counters!!) and learn to play however the current game demands.

Comment

It is funny when you see the one kid who actually listens to the coach and plays wide. He is all alone and some parents think he is wrong because he doesn't look involved in the play. At ulittle most kids can't see the field that far and have a hard time passing outside.

But bigger problem is the kid who is listening to what the coach tells him in practice isn't getting validated by the coach for playing the way he coaches. Coach still focuses on head down ball hog with big leg that either scores, dribbles into pressure and loses the ball or straight up passes to the other team.

Comment

It is funny when you see the one kid who actually listens to the coach and plays wide. He is all alone and some parents think he is wrong because he doesn't look involved in the play. At ulittle most kids can't see the field that far and have a hard time passing outside.

But bigger problem is the kid who is listening to what the coach tells him in practice isn't getting validated by the coach for playing the way he coaches. Coach still focuses on head down ball hog with big leg that either scores, dribbles into pressure and loses the ball or straight up passes to the other team.
                    This was my son at U12! Way wide on the wing and yelling for the ball (you could hear him everywhere and even the parents were saying "play Joey!") .... the mids dribbled up the middle and lost the ball because of selfish play nearly every time instead of playing him laterally if he was square or through if he was up a line. The opposing teams would eventually stop respecting it as they knew that ball was never going to get played. It was like they were playing short-handed every possession when we got one or two kids wide that never got played. The coach never corrected his CMs and let them do it over and over again. It was so frustrating. We left the next year since the coach was going to be the same.

Comment

I totally agree with this and the thing that doesn't make sense is the coach (and players) not seeing how wide open the outside is and not utilizing it. On defense they are taught to be more compact and take away the middle of the field. Why can't the coach or any of the players then deduce that if this is true, the outsides of the field should be relatively sparse of defenders and a prime place to play?!?! I never hear the coaches of my kids saying anything. When the kid with the ball dribbles right down the heart of the field trying to beat 6 kids or playing 4-yard passes to teammates that are blanketed by defenders, they never say anything .... and the people he should be saying stuff to are the outside mids and backs (and forwards). "Why are you all not very wide?? You are forcing us to play down the heavily-guarded middle of the field!!!". By not getting wide, the only options are bad options down the middle of the field and defenders are not being forced to make decisions because they can cover two or three players each (and have plenty of cover from their own teammates in case they miss). It's a simple game if you make it such. I am so envious watching disciplined teams that get it that have wings and OBs that consistently stay outside the width of the penalty area. I cant believe that everyone doesnt see the benefits that great spacing and positioning afford teams.
                      I can hear in my mind a few coaches loudly yelling dozens of times a game from the sidelines "Can we get wide?" or "Can we open up?". That annoyed me to no end in the past as I do not believe in joysticking from the sidelines like that. But you know what - when I have heard coaches doing that to well coached teams (who are usually U9 or U10) the kids immediately know what to do and do it. Maybe that is what it takes to make it happen consistently. Why it would take joysticking like that 8 months into a season for kids that are almost teens is beyond me but it would beat the current situation where its nothing is said and the coach offers up new excuses after every poor performance.

Comment

I can hear in my mind a few coaches loudly yelling dozens of times a game from the sidelines "Can we get wide?" or "Can we open up?". That annoyed me to no end in the past as I do not believe in joysticking from the sidelines like that. But you know what - when I have heard coaches doing that to well coached teams (who are usually U9 or U10) the kids immediately know what to do and do it. Maybe that is what it takes to make it happen consistently. Why it would take joysticking like that 8 months into a season for kids that are almost teens is beyond me but it would beat the current situation where its nothing is said and the coach offers up new excuses after every poor performance.
                        I guess for me, the correction should mostly come with yelling in practices. In games, cue them once, pull them a second time. Messages are received loud and clear off the field.

Comment

Yep. Very true, sadly.

Comment

This was my son at U12! Way wide on the wing and yelling for the ball (you could hear him everywhere and even the parents were saying "play Joey!") .... the mids dribbled up the middle and lost the ball because of selfish play nearly every time instead of playing him laterally if he was square or through if he was up a line. The opposing teams would eventually stop respecting it as they knew that ball was never going to get played. It was like they were playing short-handed every possession when we got one or two kids wide that never got played. The coach never corrected his CMs and let them do it over and over again. It was so frustrating. We left the next year since the coach was going to be the same.
                            Hang in there Joey. Maybe your new coach will be up to speed on how soccer is played today. Getting it to the middle, only, is so 10 years ago.

Comment

With try-outs going on, does anyone have anything to add to this? Just trying to see if many are moving because of coaches not teaching or staying put. Very tough to navigate out there without any guidance. Appreciate any input.

Comment

Why are you worried and asking what everyone else is doing across the entire state of Massachusetts for soccer what bearing does that have on any decision you could possibly make. Seems like a thought starter post to open the flood gates versus a real question

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X