Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Actually makes me NOT want to buy Nike and NOT support the NWSL. Pushing this rich kid publicity stunt is sad and sickening. Is that really the message we want our girls to hear: “Be super rich, buy a media following and then use it to buy fame and more media hype”... Sad and sickening. My dd and her friends haven’t heard of her and when/if they do I’ll explain she’s just like Olivia Jade, whose parents bought her way into USC. It’s all part of the same sickness of the wealthy buying their kids a fake unearned life. So sad.
    That analogy is too extreme. She at least is home actually practicing soccer. I dont think she took this marketing spot from some more deserving kid - Nike chose her because she is the one they want to try to sell their stuff. Don't think she bribed nike.

Comment

That analogy is too extreme. She at least is home actually practicing soccer. I dont think she took this marketing spot from some more deserving kid - Nike chose her because she is the one they want to try to sell their stuff. Don't think she bribed nike.
      I mean - it does not appeal to me but presumably Nike knows what they are doing and they think she will be effective for them for whatever reason.

Comment

Why just females? Pulisic was also able to buy his way in. Lots of rich kids can, regardless of gender. That's why we say it is a rich kid's sport here, whereas, every kid in every other country plays the game .... and the ones that play it the most, rich or poor generally become the top players .... see basketball here in the US. Baseball becoming another elite sport here in the US and that will not pay off in the long run.
        Difference is Pulisic is a better player and he has parents who knew what they were doing to help his development.

Basketball is getting more pay to play but at least a standout HS athlete can get some attention. Baseball ranks are increasingly filled players from Spanish speaking countries, not US players and especially not African American players

Comment

FWIW, I think Nike is targeting the 12 and under market. The young girls coming up want to believe they can achieve what this kid did and Nike wants a piece of that financial pie.
          As a parent that is revolting. You don't need to use a young kid to demonstrate hard work and perseverance. But a lot of what Nike does is revolting. They're worried more is going to come out the Michael Avenatti case - he supposedly has some very damming info on payments made to a high school player. All the big companies have a lot of dirty money in youth sports.

Comment

As a parent that is revolting. You don't need to use a young kid to demonstrate hard work and perseverance. But a lot of what Nike does is revolting. They're worried more is going to come out the Michael Avenatti case - he supposedly has some very damming info on payments made to a high school player. All the big companies have a lot of dirty money in youth sports.

Whoa, "revolting" is a bit much. It's not like they have her working in one of their sweat shops making her own boots.

I understand what Nike is trying to do: The want to market an individual who can speak to similar, like-minded individuals. Makes sense.

You can argue all you want about if that's a good idea, if she's the right person to represent, how much mommy & daddy's $$ got her there, if she's good enough, etc.

But, revolting? My gawd.

Comment

Agreed. I don’t think she or her parents are taking Nike or NWSL for a ride, more likely the other way around.

I really don’t see an issue with what she is doing. If she wants to go pro and has the skills and focus to pursue that, then more power to her. Lots of talented kids her age pursue computer coding, music, art, and other sports with the idea of going pro and their parents make tremendous sacrifices for them, but we don’t call them whacko like some of posters have said. Frankly, you sound jealous and petty. It’s not your life and the kid isn’t being abused so no silly comments needed.

If we were in living outside the US in Europe, Asia, etc., this honestly wouldn’t be all that odd. Most of the professional clubs there have development academies. The really talented ones do play up on reserve and sometimes 1st teams. Some even play for their country’s full NT. It’s only here in the US where we consider tween clubs and college to be the “top level” of soccer that this seems odd.

Comment

You armchair quarterbacks on this site are hilarious.

She’s 13 years old, and scored 9 goals in 15 games this year playing against girls 3 years older than her(U17) in the region(SoCal) that has the highest concentration of talent the entire country. And you fools are here criticizing her IQ and talent. Shaking my head at that. What have you or your kids accomplished in your soccer careers that can touch that?
                http://tfba.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams...layer=79260207

Comment

She can do what she wants. Personally,. I dont care if it is soccer or tap dancing or coding. Any one of those kids tries to sell my kid some product is getting the cold should from me if their story involves leaving school. Because virtually zero kids will be able to have a sports or dance career and I hate that message. I don't care if they choose to leave school to do whatever they want to do. Just don't try to sell my kid something.

Comment

She can do what she wants. Personally,. I dont care if it is soccer or tap dancing or coding. Any one of those kids tries to sell my kid some product is getting the cold should from me if their story involves leaving school. Because virtually zero kids will be able to have a sports or dance career and I hate that message. I don't care if they choose to leave school to do whatever they want to do. Just don't try to sell my kid something.
                    Do you feel the same about a new song on iTunes? A new sweater from Journeys? Maybe a new backpack?

Comment

Do you feel the same about a new song on iTunes? A new sweater from Journeys? Maybe a new backpack?
                      Totally. Not a fan of marketing to kids even though it is pervasive. My kids are sick of hearing me carry in about how companies manipulate them.

Adults are fair game but you come for the kids and expect criticism.

Comment

Totally. Not a fan of marketing to kids even though it is pervasive. My kids are sick of hearing me carry in about how companies manipulate them.

Adults are fair game but you come for the kids and expect criticism.
                        At least you're consistent and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Comment

You armchair quarterbacks on this site are hilarious.

She’s 13 years old, and scored 9 goals in 15 games this year playing against girls 3 years older than her(U17) in the region(SoCal) that has the highest concentration of talent the entire country. And you fools are here criticizing her IQ and talent. Shaking my head at that. What have you or your kids accomplished in your soccer careers that can touch that?
                          http://tfba.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams...layer=79260207
                          And I bet that for every one of these folks here criticizing her abilities, their daughters couldn’t even score that many goals playing 3 AGE GROUPS DOWN.

Comment

And I bet that for every one of these folks here criticizing her abilities, their daughters couldn’t even score that many goals playing 3 AGE GROUPS DOWN.
                            Not mine. She's a 2005 and she could kick the ass of any 2008 around here.

No doubt.

Comment

Again. If she or great or terrible is beside the point. If she tries to sell my kids on products, I am pushing back. Nothing to do with her soccer ability, whatever it is.

Comment

Thought ECNL was the place to be in SoCal

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X