Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varsity Coaching and Club Involvement

Is it permissible in NH for a high school varsity soccer coach to be involved in a club (especially one that is pulling a lot of players from the school) either as a Coach, Assistant Coach or 'Club Director'?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is it permissible in NH for a high school varsity soccer coach to be involved in a club (especially one that is pulling a lot of players from the school) either as a Coach, Assistant Coach or 'Club Director'?
    Yes, there are varsity coaches in NH who also coach clubs. Quite a few, actually.

I don't know if any coach their same players in both HS and for their club (that's an investigation I have neither the time nor desire to look into), but I don't know of any rule that would preclude it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2442417]Is it permissible in NH for a high school varsity soccer coach to be involved in a club (especially one that is pulling a lot of players from the school) either as a Coach, Assistant Coach or 'Club Director’

Yes, happened a few years ago at CHS, the coach was just bringing in all his varsity players to play on his club team, ultimately ended his time as the head coach of the HS. If a coach, coaches both they can only have a certain number of their HS roster play on their club team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2442580]
        Is it permissible in NH for a high school varsity soccer coach to be involved in a club (especially one that is pulling a lot of players from the school) either as a Coach, Assistant Coach or 'Club Director’

Yes, happened a few years ago at CHS, the coach was just bringing in all his varsity players to play on his club team, ultimately ended his time as the head coach of the HS. If a coach, coaches both they can only have a certain number of their HS roster play on their club team.
        I've seen the NHIAA rule that says in summary "A coach can coach an all-star team as long as the team contains less than 25% of their school players". Does NHIAA consider club soccer 'all star'?

In a situation where a HS Varsity coach is skirting the rule by 'only' being Assistant Coach and Director of the club, it sounds like a serious conflict to me.

Comment

Its only a conflict if the coach pressures his high school players to participate in their club teams. I'm sure that happens sometimes.

Comment

Yes HS coaches do coach club and their HS players can be on their club team

Comment

Yes HS coaches do coach club and their HS players can be on their club team
              Yes - but no more than 25% of the roster can have their players on the club team. The NHIAA is self policing in their enforcement of the rule. So if a coach has more than 25% playing for their club the HS Athletic Director has enforce the sanction.

In some cases, the HS Athletic Directors in NH have enforced the rule while in other cases they have looked the other way (Souhegan for YEARS had club coaches coaching their varsity with well over 50% of the club roster being Souhegan kids).

Saint Thomas girls did the same thing when they were winning titles in DII girls in the early 2000's - the entire roster were SUSC girls who just happened to end up at St. Thomas but were kids who should have been at other area high schools. Their varsity coach was also a coach with SUSC... the school looked the other way.

Some coaches who do both now coach a level below HS (U14, U13, etc...) because the rule only applies to kids currently in their HS programs so they coach a level below HS age to groom future players coming in.

Unless the school is willing to enforce the rule, there is nothing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Check View Post
                the entire roster were SUSC girls ... Their varsity coach was also a coach with SUSC... the school looked the other way.
                The issue I'm referring to involved the same club and the school is also looking the other way. Unfortunately.

Comment

With the school being Kennett High School and the club being Seacoast United North.

Comment

With the school being Kennett High School and the club being Seacoast United North.
                    What other clubs are in the area that the kids would play at?

Comment

The team in question won like 3 games all fall. I suspect that you're not from another school worried about this "powerhouse" but rather a parent of a player you worry will lose playing time to one of the coach's club players.

At best, if you cause a stink, the coach will probably ask to coach another age group at SUSC. The players will still play together in the club, just for a different coach. Not sure what you'll gain, or your player.

Comment

What other clubs are in the area that the kids would play at?
                        Mount Washington Valley

Comment

Then you report it to Kennett High School AD or the NHIAA and they take it form there.

Comment

Then you report it to Kennett High School AD or the NHIAA and they take it form there.
                            I understand that has been done, but they do not seem to be concerned.

There are no laws being broken, and possibly no NHIAA regulations being broken, but it just seems underhand and reflects poorly on SU.

Comment

I understand that has been done, but they do not seem to be concerned.

There are no laws being broken, and possibly no NHIAA regulations being broken, but it just seems underhand and reflects poorly on SU.
                              How? Were better players cut?

If anything, and I mean anything at all, it reflects poorly on the school. I get some just like to trash SU, but at least make it reasonable.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X