Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed and Quickness

Anyone used one of these conditioning training centers (e.g. Higher Level)? Thoughts on effectiveness for increasing speed / quickness?

More valuable if your child has serious bio mechanical issues with running form, quick turn of direction, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Anyone used one of these conditioning training centers (e.g. Higher Level)? Thoughts on effectiveness for increasing speed / quickness?
      Total waste of time and money. Both kids went and more a social event

Comment

They will let you try it out for free. I think what they offer is great but as you see from other responses others don’t. To each his own.

Comment

They will let you try it out for free. I think what they offer is great but as you see from other responses others don’t. To each his own.
          Another money maker. And... they are making money. Just not necessary unless your athlete is really uncoordinated.
          I think it is a waste of time and money. My opinion

Comment

Higher level

HL does a very good job working out the kids and keeping them focused. Of they are making money it’s a business. It’s worth the money for my son who is a D1 comit.

Comment

HL does a very good job working out the kids and keeping them focused. Of they are making money it’s a business. It’s worth the money for my son who is a D1 comit.
              Wow... your son is a D1 commit? Thanks for sharing. HL got him there or did he get himself there? Insanity

Comment

Different poster. Higher Level has been around for several years and I know several D1 commits, and soccer All Staters that have used him. If my son was serious about soccer I would have probably used him, but he wasn't so I wasn't going to waste the money.

There's something to be said for learning best practices for improving speed and agility. HL gives you that experience. Although you would hope they would teach you in 3 to 4 lessons rather than a whole season.

Comment

Different poster. Higher Level has been around for several years and I know several D1 commits, and soccer All Staters that have used him. If my son was serious about soccer I would have probably used him, but he wasn't so I wasn't going to waste the money.

There's something to be said for learning best practices for improving speed and agility. HL gives you that experience. Although you would hope they would teach you in 3 to 4 lessons rather than a whole season.
                  A whole season equals more money while a few sessions does not. My kids attended during HS. I didn't notice that much of an improvement. I know more players playing at the NCAA level that haven't used them, lets put it that way.

Comment

My kid uses Amp Fit in East Greenwich. It isn't really speed/agility/quickness though that is part of the program, but focuses heavily on sports-specific strength conditioning and injury prevention. D has been doing it for years and we see the results.

When younger, much of the focus was on creating balance in the body, strengthening hamstrings and hip flexors to balance out overdeveloped quads and building core muscles. Her on-field performance improved, including explosiveness, physical strength to fend off opponents, etc. It won't turn a slow sprinter into a world-class sprinter, but it will make any athlete a better, stronger version of themselves, and more importantly, help keep them injury free (injury caused by poor form, muscle imbalances, etc., not contact injury). Considering how much soccer my kid plays, and the number of ACL tears on my kid's HS and club teams, it has been well worth the cost. (She has remained injury free)

Keep in mind every single Varsity team in college has athletic trainers and has a strength program in the weight room. That isn't the case with High School and the staff at most HS's isn't qualified in my mind for serious sports performance training. AMP Fit was more practical than using a personal trainer at a typical gym or something like Crossfit. If you have a serious female athlete, you absolutely should be using something like this.

I'll also say much of their business started with injury rehab for athletes and slowly built into a performance program for middle-school, high-school and college athletes. They have a number of RI's top track, field hockey, softball, soccer, swim, hockey and football athletes. Check them out, great group of guys who really care about the kids.

Comment

Are HL and Amp the only options in this area for this kind of training? Is HL going to be in Coventry again this summer?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X