Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    because the culture values wins much higher than development. i think you are a little off. The players are in general not talented enough or committed enough to really benefit from freedom so coaches teach a system that tries to deliver wins irrespective of talent level.

Unless the kids you are talking about are going to one of say 20 schools, College is going to be EXACTLY THE SAME!

The most successful College team is a system team, UNC.

To solve problems and be creative, you MUST have great fundamentals. First touch etc. We dont develop that organically here thru watching the sport and playing with a ball OUTSIDE of structure.

so in summary, we have the club environment that reflects the skills needed for the MAJORITY of Colleges. If you want that to change, you have to change what the end users need to win. In the NWSL, the Courage win with structure and power. They bully Portland, arguably a more "creative" team. The USWNT is not overly creative either.
    Listen, there is still a system on a creative team. Everyone has to be constantly moving, but you have to get players to understand and take some risks in the right spots and then play the ball. As it is now, it is mostly all or nothing for each player. 2 or 3 stars are allowed to take infinite numbers of risks and mostly do nothing because they are quick and technical but, fundamentally stupid and do nothing but turn the ball over (beat 4 or 5 kids but always lose it on #6 or #7, or take a crappy shot from 40 because they were out of option ..... because they didn't pass it to their 5 open teammates screaming for the ball!). The supporting cast's role is to get the ball back, not turn it over, and then get it to the the 2 or 3 stars until one of those guys eventually breaks through and score their 1 or 2 goals for the game (out of 100 chances). There has to be a better balance of play for all players.

Comment

Listen, there is still a system on a creative team. Everyone has to be constantly moving, but you have to get players to understand and take some risks in the right spots and then play the ball. As it is now, it is mostly all or nothing for each player. 2 or 3 stars are allowed to take infinite numbers of risks and mostly do nothing because they are quick and technical but, fundamentally stupid and do nothing but turn the ball over (beat 4 or 5 kids but always lose it on #6 or #7, or take a crappy shot from 40 because they were out of option ..... because they didn't pass it to their 5 open teammates screaming for the ball!). The supporting cast's role is to get the ball back, not turn it over, and then get it to the the 2 or 3 stars until one of those guys eventually breaks through and score their 1 or 2 goals for the game (out of 100 chances). There has to be a better balance of play for all players.
      Interesting you say that.

One of the missives with new GDA leadership is to address that very point: More consistent players from top to bottom.

Comment

Interesting you say that.

One of the missives with new GDA leadership is to address that very point: More consistent players from top to bottom.
        The can and do say whatever they want but it still isnt feasible. They do not have the horses to play this style of soccer and if i was a top 3 player i would not pass it to the stiffs on my team because i know it would hit their shin and go to a defender or of bounds. US Soccer writes a lovely brochure, but the rubber falls far short of the road for them all of the time. Let's face it, they only care about the top 1-3 players on any given team anyway and ignore everyone else except when a check is due.

Comment

The can and do say whatever they want but it still isnt feasible. They do not have the horses to play this style of soccer and if i was a top 3 player i would not pass it to the stiffs on my team because i know it would hit their shin and go to a defender or of bounds. US Soccer writes a lovely brochure, but the rubber falls far short of the road for them all of the time. Let's face it, they only care about the top 1-3 players on any given team anyway and ignore everyone else except when a check is due.
          Same with every other club who touts their college commits...

Comment

exactly this. Eliminate teh agendas. Its not a GDA issue, its a womens soccer in the USA issue.

so many people benefit from lying about quality that lesser educated parents have no clue what a quality player looks like. Its all part of the deception that the womens soccer industry is based on.

No one wins by trying to sort kids by real ability. Better to pretend for all the wallets concerned.

Comment

Perhaps there is way too much structure (especially at early ages). At our local DA club, they take creativity out of the game from day 1. Play solid, 2-touch soccer and treat the ball as if it were a hand grenade without the pin and that is it. It's like they are teaching them to be afraid of having the ball. Very little creativity of kids and not enough, IMHO, of kids taking on 1v1 on offensive half, sucking in the defenders and then finding the 2nd or 3rd option in the run. They become quite adept at passing on the back half of the field because of the space allowed, but as they get further and further forward, they struggle to play the same game as the space between players has diminished and opponents become more concentrated. Then they play the ball back to an area where they are again granted more space to be successful .... the completed 2-touch passes become the end game and not putting the ball in the back of the net(because they are so afraid of making a mistake and turning it over).
              Weird at my kids DA club they teach passing in the first third, mix of passing dribbling in middle third and most dribbling/limited passing in the attacking third.

Comment

And that is why you or the 1-3 top players with that mentality, will never be great players.

Comment

they dont care about the top 3 either. If they did, the process would involve consolidating talent. I think the USSF would do this, but the Clubs and the sheer size of the country makes it difficult. lets say a top female pro earned 100k. The incentive would be there to make sacrifices to get there. Right now there is limited incentive to become excellent at the game.

All the money is made by Clubs. Clubs need volume. Real ability and volume dont go together. Talent is rare. Every Club wants a talented player they can use to make parents of lesser kids believe they can be the same.

Most have NO CHANCE of ever being that, but $$ is made keeping the deception alive. Thats why Clubs dont want to release players even if it would benefit the player

Comment

Yes but only one organization is in charge of US soccer and the national teams. USSF is supposed to be the leader but they don't know what they're doing.

Comment

And that is why you or the 1-3 top players with that mentality, will never be great players.
                      Very true. The system isn't set up to address what the nation's top 1% of talent needs.

Comment

Ny gda

Very true. The system isn't set up to address what the nation's top 1% of talent needs.

its actually a lot less about 1/10000. or .0001% (its very hard to find the 1/10000 kid)
                        its easier to find the needle in a haystack.

Comment

Yes but only one organization is in charge of US soccer and the national teams. USSF is supposed to be the leader but they don't know what they're doing.
                          not true. USSF are supposed to create the environment and stimulate the growth of the game, but the incentives are what drives Club behaviour. Expected them to rebuild that network is foolish. The key point is the Clubs have no incentive to work WITH the federation. They do not share the same agenda.

Lower costs, less travel, better coaching at younger ages would benefit growth and help create better players BUT the Clubs dont want that. They want more games ad mroe travle so they can justify greater cost.

If there was a pro track, it would be easy to see who developed the most players, but there isnt so its ALL subjective. In fact it worse that that. NYCFC have helped develop a few kids who are performing at a high level in the major conferences and yet people STILL bash them.

Why?

Because its easier to do that. Because the MAJORITY is what dictate club behavior and the MAJORITY want average.

Comment

disagree. i think its more accurate to say there is no system for the elite players. Eventually if they have good grades they may get into a top level environment at Stanford or UCLA etc. but the odds of that are tiny

Comment

not true. USSF are supposed to create the environment and stimulate the growth of the game, but the incentives are what drives Club behaviour. Expected them to rebuild that network is foolish. The key point is the Clubs have no incentive to work WITH the federation. They do not share the same agenda.

Lower costs, less travel, better coaching at younger ages would benefit growth and help create better players BUT the Clubs dont want that. They want more games ad mroe travle so they can justify greater cost.

If there was a pro track, it would be easy to see who developed the most players, but there isnt so its ALL subjective. In fact it worse that that. NYCFC have helped develop a few kids who are performing at a high level in the major conferences and yet people STILL bash them.

Why?

Because its easier to do that. Because the MAJORITY is what dictate club behavior and the MAJORITY want average.
                              That is very true. USSF expected clubs to shoulder the burden of development, even going as far as asking them take a financial hit by lowering their fees (or even be free) whenever possible. If USSF wants something just for the top 1-3% (no more than that) they should fund something like what ODP was before. Have it totally out of the hands of clubs, USSF trainers, no cost to the nation's top players. Make it really about the best of the best, not just those who can afford to be practice cones for the top players

Comment

That is very true. USSF expected clubs to shoulder the burden of development, even going as far as asking them take a financial hit by lowering their fees (or even be free) whenever possible. If USSF wants something just for the top 1-3% (no more than that) they should fund something like what ODP was before. Have it totally out of the hands of clubs, USSF trainers, no cost to the nation's top players. Make it really about the best of the best, not just those who can afford to be practice cones for the top players
                                The size of the USA makes it almost impossible to do

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X