Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    1) Did you go to college 15 years ago? Your numbers tuition numbers are WAY OFF. U Mass next year rounds up to $30K. Any decent private school hovers around $60K. Even friggin Northeastern, what used to be a safety, is just under $70K
    2) Your scholarship info is correct in terms of the number of scholarships for girls; However "on average" if it's a fully funded program most players fall into a bell curve of 40-60%. A few studs will get more than that, weaker players less. For men's its far less as there's only 9.9 for a fully funded program and international players take a good number of those slots.
    Some schools will eclipse $80k in the next 2 or 3 years .... It is absolutely insane.

Comment

1) Did you go to college 15 years ago? Your numbers tuition numbers are WAY OFF. U Mass next year rounds up to $30K. Any decent private school hovers around $60K. Even friggin Northeastern, what used to be a safety, is just under $70K
      2) Your scholarship info is correct in terms of the number of scholarships for girls; However "on average" if it's a fully funded program most players fall into a bell curve of 40-60%. A few studs will get more than that, weaker players less. For men's its far less as there's only 9.9 for a fully funded program and international players take a good number of those slots.
      It’s my understanding, that Internationals have a separate budget and do not take the $ allocated for athletic scholarships. This is what two separate D2 coaches have said to us during ID clinics.

Comment

https://admissions.tufts.edu/tuition...ition-and-aid/

Standard for NESCAC. No merit. Only rich or poor students can afford these schools anymore. If both parents have only reasonable jobs then no need to apply to any NESCAC schools unless you were looking to have a 2nd mortgage that is more than your first one at worse interest rates.

Comment

It’s my understanding, that Internationals have a separate budget and do not take the $ allocated for athletic scholarships. This is what two separate D2 coaches have said to us during ID clinics.
          Completely untrue. A school gets X scholarships as per NCAA rules. How a coach decides to divvy it up is up to him. However a school could give internationals other scholarships (merit) but not athletic. Foreign students also don't qualify for federal financial aid. In many countries the cost of going to university is next to nothing. Players aren't coming here to pay $60K a year to play.

Comment

Some schools will eclipse $80k in the next 2 or 3 years .... It is absolutely insane.
            It is, which is why families are getting desperate to find ways to pay for it. Your average soccer family is going to have too high an income for financial aid (the income limit is pretty low especially for higher income families on the coasts) yet they aren't wealthy enough to just write a $60,000 check each year per kid.

Comment

Completely untrue. A school gets X scholarships as per NCAA rules. How a coach decides to divvy it up is up to him. However a school could give internationals other scholarships (merit) but not athletic. Foreign students also don't qualify for federal financial aid. In many countries the cost of going to university is next to nothing. Players aren't coming here to pay $60K a year to play.
              Let me clarify, these coaches (who would not be lying) said there were two separate scholarship aid budgets for internationals and nationals. I did not suggest that internationals are not getting aid (they usually get HUGE aid), but that it was a separate budget from what the US athletes are allocated.

Comment

Let me clarify, these coaches (who would not be lying) said there were two separate scholarship aid budgets for internationals and nationals. I did not suggest that internationals are not getting aid (they usually get HUGE aid), but that it was a separate budget from what the US athletes are allocated.
                But, I would expect that any aid they get from the school has to pass the sniff test for athletic money regardless of what bucket it comes from. You can't say that we gave phenom Luigi from Salerno a 10% athletic scholarship but he gets 90% from our international student budget (none of which counts against our athletic $) but for Tyler from TN, he only qualifies for 20% athletic money and we have no way to add additional money to his package because it would count against our athletic money.

Comment

Kid is a currently a frosh in HS. Attended a couple of ID camps for her (current) top college pick. Called the coach directly after the camp, received excellent feedback and was told to send in the spring league game and tournament schedule so coaching staff could come watch. Now has coach's cell and email for correspondence. Club coach kept in the loop and will be cc'ed on all communications. Local D1 school that she will be accepted to 100% whether or not she plays soccer there. Doesn't play ECNL or DA, just an impact player on a good regional team. Obviously not done as she isn't at the offer stage yet, but it's very early. Not sure if this is the typical recruiting process, but this is how it has worked for us... will be curious if the new rules would change/limit this.

Comment

Kid is a currently a frosh in HS. Attended a couple of ID camps for her (current) top college pick. Called the coach directly after the camp, received excellent feedback and was told to send in the spring league game and tournament schedule so coaching staff could come watch. Now has coach's cell and email for correspondence. Club coach kept in the loop and will be cc'ed on all communications. Local D1 school that she will be accepted to 100% whether or not she plays soccer there. Doesn't play ECNL or DA, just an impact player on a good regional team. Obviously not done as she isn't at the offer stage yet, but it's very early. Not sure if this is the typical recruiting process, but this is how it has worked for us... will be curious if the new rules would change/limit this.
                    Thats the process (now). Hopefully all you will need is one, but kids change and coaches change. Never hurts to have options and a Plan B, C.

Comment

Thats the process (now). Hopefully all you will need is one, but kids change and coaches change. Never hurts to have options and a Plan B, C.
                      Not only that but some coaches will string you along for a long time then go radio silent. You have to have more than one option. You never know how it might play out. More importantly you will never know what else is out there. Looking at other options may result in something even better, or can serve to confirm your top pick is the best one

Comment

Let me clarify, by “tuition” I meant without room and board. I was responding to the other poster who said tuition was $70k and I think most would agree that $70k/year is way too high for just tuition with no room and board. The room and board offered by colleges is the biggest scam. Totally over priced and you can literally move 1/2 mile off campus and pay 2/3 less. My d who plays in D1 insisted on living on campus like a lot of freshman, but she since moved off campus and we are saving a ton.

As for the scholarship $, it really is pointless to discuss averages because D1 and D2 each have 300+ schools and the costs and what each can offer are wildly different. The offers we got were all over the place. Some of it was interest, etc. but a lot of it was what budget that particular coach had to work with. I remember reading about how many schools were “fully funded” when we started the process 5+ years ago and I think only 1/3 of the schools can totally pay for the max # of scholarships. The top programs like Stanford, UNC, etc. and the schools with really large endowments/donors can, but most can’t. If you just focus on the majority of schools that aren’t fully funded, that average bell curve might look like scholarships that cover 20-50% of costs. Certainly better than nothing, but I think if most parents understood that they could be paying the majority of the costs they would at least going into it with eyes wide open. We know quite a few of my d’s teammates who’ve struggled or transferred because of scholarship issues. My best advice is go to the school that is the best academic/social fit first and one that you could afford without scholarship (out of pocket + loans) second. Soccer and scholarships really should be a distant third consideration unless your daughter is some super stud getting calls from schools like Stanford.

Comment

^ when people discuss costs they generally are talking about the entire package. so yes many schools are well into the mid 60's all in. Most freshmen and even sometimes sophomores are required to live on campus so you must take that into consideration. I don't mind that for freshmen since it's a great to meet people/make friends. The required food plans are a total scam, as are all the other fees they tack on and sometimes even required health insurance. It all adds up.

Comment

Let me clarify, by “tuition” I meant without room and board. I was responding to the other poster who said tuition was $70k and I think most would agree that $70k/year is way too high for just tuition with no room and board. The room and board offered by colleges is the biggest scam. Totally over priced and you can literally move 1/2 mile off campus and pay 2/3 less. My d who plays in D1 insisted on living on campus like a lot of freshman, but she since moved off campus and we are saving a ton.

As for the scholarship $, it really is pointless to discuss averages because D1 and D2 each have 300+ schools and the costs and what each can offer are wildly different. The offers we got were all over the place. Some of it was interest, etc. but a lot of it was what budget that particular coach had to work with. I remember reading about how many schools were “fully funded” when we started the process 5+ years ago and I think only 1/3 of the schools can totally pay for the max # of scholarships. The top programs like Stanford, UNC, etc. and the schools with really large endowments/donors can, but most can’t. If you just focus on the majority of schools that aren’t fully funded, that average bell curve might look like scholarships that cover 20-50% of costs. Certainly better than nothing, but I think if most parents understood that they could be paying the majority of the costs they would at least going into it with eyes wide open. We know quite a few of my d’s teammates who’ve struggled or transferred because of scholarship issues. My best advice is go to the school that is the best academic/social fit first and one that you could afford without scholarship (out of pocket + loans) second. Soccer and scholarships really should be a distant third consideration unless your daughter is some super stud getting calls from schools like Stanford.
                            Here in lies the rub with all of these calculations. If you are targeting well from a soccer point of view (meaning where they project to have the highest possible impact at the highest ranking), then your kid is going to be offered as much money as the coach can afford. If that coach really wants your kid they will find a way to max out your offer even if their budget is tight. The issues start popping up when you start weighing other non-soccer factors (ie. school prestige) into your targeting equation. Things like that are usually quite a natural comprise for a family to make but they will impact the amount of the offers they end up looking at. That makes it awfully tough to compare offers across different families. For example a family with a kid with an Ivy level academic record but a Big East level soccer playing ability is not going to get the same offers as a Big East level academic record with an ACC level soccer playing ability even though they both might very well end up on the same roster.

Comment

Which is why there should be an NCAA cap at the amount of internationals on each team to even the budget playing field a bit.

Comment

Not ECNL or DA and looking DI and getting interest and will be accepted 100%...whether or not she plays soccer there? Why are DI coaches looking at a kid that only has moderate interest? That's the real story. Giving away a roster spot.
                                I would hope no money offered. Will she be the manager? Is she looking UCLA?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X