• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    big clubs just want more and more money and parents are suckers

so many terrible players playing on b and c teams of these clubs -

people at these clubs making a living from this - crazy only in america
    These posts are just ridiculous and end up making people like me sound like bigger club defenders than we are. This makes these little soccer clubs (yes, even the big ones around here) sound like major corporations looking to squeeze out better margins so the stock will move or some CIA effort to trick and manipulate the populace. Did these clubs come knock on your door like Jehovah's Witnesses, put you in a trance, and then while hypnotized get you to write a check for $1200??? And what is wrong with someone making a living? Every time we challenge anyone to produce actual evidence of terrible lies being told by clubs and coaches about your kid having some D1 potential that is completely unfounded we hear nothing. Absolutely not one real example to date. When and if the participation is excessive, it's about the parents. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
      These posts are just ridiculous and end up making people like me sound like bigger club defenders than we are. This makes these little soccer clubs (yes, even the big ones around here) sound like major corporations looking to squeeze out better margins so the stock will move or some CIA effort to trick and manipulate the populace. Did these clubs come knock on your door like Jehovah's Witnesses, put you in a trance, and then while hypnotized get you to write a check for $1200??? And what is wrong with someone making a living? Every time we challenge anyone to produce actual evidence of terrible lies being told by clubs and coaches about your kid having some D1 potential that is completely unfounded we hear nothing. Absolutely not one real example to date. When and if the participation is excessive, it's about the parents. Period.
      Several years ago I was coaching a Maple team and one of my top players was approached by a large club coach. He was told that if he joined that new club, he would GUARANTEE that this player would get a Div. 1 scholarship. The player was 13 years old at the time and his Mom shared this offer with me. I reminded her that only a college coach can make that offer. He stayed , we lost a state championship match, he attended a div 3. School on an academic scholarship and will be attending medical school next year.

Comment

Several years ago I was coaching a Maple team and one of my top players was approached by a large club coach. He was told that if he joined that new club, he would GUARANTEE that this player would get a Div. 1 scholarship. The player was 13 years old at the time and his Mom shared this offer with me. I reminded her that only a college coach can make that offer. He stayed , we lost a state championship match, he attended a div 3. School on an academic scholarship and will be attending medical school next year.

and????

What if he went to the larger club, attended and played at a division 1 school, and instead of going to medical school, went into business and became a hedge fund manager and made millions?

Please don't insult anyone intelligence to think that by staying with any particular club that this kid's future was definitely affected.

By the way, I don't think I would go into medicine in today's world unless one had true desire to heal.

Comment

Lots of adults, to say nothing of 13 year olds, hear what they want to hear. In this case, we are hearing third hand what this big club coach was "saying".

This kid is attending med school next year so you are saying that 8+ years ago a coach guaranteed a boy a day scholarship and the 7th grader knew what the the coach was talking about?!?

Comment

That's it? Come on. There must be tons of these examples being unreported.

Here's the key phrase above..."...his Mom shared this offer with me." Even if the story is true, shame on anyone who would believe such a "guarantee" to a 13 year old. And shame on anyone who believes there are FULL D1 scholarships at any D1 most would like to attend for more than 1-2 kids per year from Mass (and often not even that many given how few full athletic rides are actually awarded).

A lot is written from a hypercritical point of view about all the B and C teams clubs offer. Are all these kids getting grandiose promises too, or are the parents happy to have their kids in a constructive organized activity with a hope getting some varsity time in high school?

Comment

and????

What if he went to the larger club, attended and played at a division 1 school, and instead of going to medical school, went into business and became a hedge fund manager and made millions?

Please don't insult anyone intelligence to think that by staying with any particular club that this kid's future was definitely affected.

By the way, I don't think I would go into medicine in today's world unless one had true desire to heal.
              Or, if they don't have a true desire to heal, let's hope they don't go into medicine. Despite whatever you hear or may believe, physicians are still making out just fine. I for one would rather see our hospitals function more like the services they are supposed to be and less like Wendy's franchises.

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
                Or, if they don't have a true desire to heal, let's hope they don't go into medicine. Despite whatever you hear or may believe, physicians are still making out just fine. I for one would rather see our hospitals function more like the services they are supposed to be and less like Wendy's franchises.
                Not that this is the topic of the thread but an invasive cardiologist at one of the major Harvard hospital has an initial starting salary of approximately 70k......after 4 years of college (50+K per year), 4 years of medical school (60+K per year), an internship (1 year), medical residency (3 years), and a cardiology fellowship (3 years). The median salary for a physician in this country is approximately 160-170k per year.

The lowest paid baseball player has a package exceeding 500K per year.....guaranteed whether they play or not. Have you ever seen a professional athlete, a manager/coach, or an owner get sued by the fans for a poor performance?

I am curious to know in what way does your hospital function like a Wendy's franchise? I don't know a Wendy's that hands out free food if a person comes in very hungry, starving, or just simply has no money. I have never seen Wendy's give out the food and then try to get the money later. Now club soccer does have players who do not pay. To make this happen, the rest of the team pays a little bit more. It seems that this is similar to some part of our healthcare system.

Insurance companies are refusing to reimburse if certain lab values are not met during hospital stays. Not surprising these lab marks are not founded to improve safety, but if there is a way not to pay.......

Now, getting back to the topic at hand, can you imagine if club soccer was set up so that you would pay a small deposit, but would not pay the rest until the season is half, two-thirds, and then fully done.....and your payment would be based on your satisfaction??? Can you imagine if all things were like that?? If you think that the entire system would fall apart if this were the case then I suppose you might have some sympathy for physicians.

Comment

Not that this is the topic of the thread but an invasive cardiologist at one of the major Harvard hospital has an initial starting salary of approximately 70k......after 4 years of college (50+K per year), 4 years of medical school (60+K per year), an internship (1 year), medical residency (3 years), and a cardiology fellowship (3 years). The median salary for a physician in this country is approximately 160-170k per year.

The lowest paid baseball player has a package exceeding 500K per year.....guaranteed whether they play or not. Have you ever seen a professional athlete, a manager/coach, or an owner get sued by the fans for a poor performance?

I am curious to know in what way does your hospital function like a Wendy's franchise? I don't know a Wendy's that hands out free food if a person comes in very hungry, starving, or just simply has no money. I have never seen Wendy's give out the food and then try to get the money later. Now club soccer does have players who do not pay. To make this happen, the rest of the team pays a little bit more. It seems that this is similar to some part of our healthcare system.

Insurance companies are refusing to reimburse if certain lab values are not met during hospital stays. Not surprising these lab marks are not founded to improve safety, but if there is a way not to pay.......

Now, getting back to the topic at hand, can you imagine if club soccer was set up so that you would pay a small deposit, but would not pay the rest until the season is half, two-thirds, and then fully done.....and your payment would be based on your satisfaction??? Can you imagine if all things were like that?? If you think that the entire system would fall apart if this were the case then I suppose you might have some sympathy for physicians.
                  Invasive cardiologist at Harvard and 70k..... I doubt that !!!! Not at tufts, bmc, or lahey either

Comment

I know someone who tried to use the "I'll pay up to the level of my satisfaction" argument when dealing with a club. He basically withheld his fall payment until he saw how things were going. His kid was a contributing player on a top team, but really didn't have the leverage to pull this off. The club told him that he had to pay the entire next season up front, or his kid wouldn't be on a team. He switched clubs, and now badmouths the former club for being "too business-like."

Comment

The lowest paid baseball player make much, much less than 500K per year. There are several levels of pro players working their way through the minors hoping for a 1 in 100? chance to become a major league player.

Comment

The lowest paid baseball player make much, much less than 500K per year. There are several levels of pro players working their way through the minors hoping for a 1 in 100? chance to become a major league player.

You are absolutely wrong. The lowest salary in the Major Leagues is about 400K. After that there are additional travel expenses for at least 81 aways games. There are a host of additional monies not the least of which includes a retirement package. I am being conservative by quoting 500K.....for a Major league ball player. Don't doubt this. I am correct.

.......whether he plays a inning or not.....

Comment

Actually I was wrong.....the minimum salary is 490,000K

http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-an...team-462765594

This does not include a host of expenses not the least of which is the cost of 81 travel days for away games, which includes travel, hotel, food.
                          There may even be a housing expense for each player not included in the 490K.

Comment

This does not include a host of expenses not the least of which is the cost of 81 travel days for away games, which includes travel, hotel, food.

Comment

Yes, but single A, AA, AAA plus several other leagues are all also pro players. Most players will spend several years in these league without ever getting a shot in the bigs.

Comment

But they have a very narrow window to make their money and that's IF they make it to the big leagues (as another poster suggested).

How many people do you surmise have a choice between being a well-paid professional athlete and being a physician? For that matter, how what percentage of people have a shot at being a physician?

What seems more dubious is your quote of 70K for a cardiologist in Boston. Police officers and correction officers in the prisons make 70K. I don't know a single psychiatrist who makes less than 200K, and they are generally at the bottom of the physician pay scale along with GPs and pediatricians. If you want to argue that physicians work very hard for the money they do earn I will agree with you, but I don't think they are making 70K.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X