Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Portland Thorns "Pre-Academy" U11-U13.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is a smart move if they want to survive after the inevitable end of girls DA. They will hope to build this program into enough of a success to be accepted into ECNL.
    Accepted ? it’s a pay to play system, ECNL will take anyone.

Comment

Its because it is a skewed question.

You are going to see clubs and teams collapse in c-19. There are parts of the country where clubs have made mutual promises not to poach during this period of time. We are in exceptional times.

Yet Thorns are attempting a large expansion of their program . . . during a pandemic.
      Ignore this troll, who is just stirring up trouble. Team announces tryouts on their web page.. OMG poaching!!! How dare they!

UPDX has a tryout announcement. FC does. CU seems to have "call Kevin Legg" on theirs--didn't he run down to Corvallis?

Comment

Its because it is a skewed question.

You are going to see clubs and teams collapse in c-19. There are parts of the country where clubs have made mutual promises not to poach during this period of time. We are in exceptional times.

Yet Thorns are attempting a large expansion of their program . . . during a pandemic.
        Westside Timbers can try all they want to promote the Thorns academy. There is nothing compelling to offer top players. The Thorns academy costs the same as ECNL, coaching is basically Westside Timbers coaches, their teams are terrible and the GDA is quickly dying. The best Westside can hope for is a C team after FCP and CU set their rosters.

Comment

Are they dropping all their teams to OYSA? That might be a really good move.
          This can’t be good. OYSA? They want to compete vs other local clubs? Really? Clubs already dont like them.

They should try to enter into high school leagues and compete with JV teams. That wouldn’t guarantee wins but at least they could not get beat by 8-10 goals.

Comment

Might not be a bad idea to move the older teams to OYSA.

They really ought to consider allowing the high school aged girls to play HS soccer. That would help them to get some better players I think.

Comment

So just to be clear:

Timbers/Thorns are collaborating to run RTC and ODP (as stated on the OYSA website). Their expectation is that local clubs will encourage players to participate in RTC and ODP.

RTC and ODP coaches will encourage players to move into the pre academy for Thorns, where they will compete against their former OYSA club teams.

OYSA (local) clubs are expected to support this, in spite of losing talented players (which lowers the overall quality of their teams) and losing revenue from players.

And we are all supposed to be okay with this? Why exactly? What is this pre-academy doing to to help players develop, that cannot already be done within the current RTC/ODP/OYSA club structure? How will results be quantified? By national team callups? Because if so, Thorns full academy is doing poorly in that regard (hint - talking a perennial callup kid into moving here from So Cal does not count as a Thorns developed player getting callups). By college placement? Is this pre academy/moving on to full academy system claiming they will get better results with college placement than Washington Timbers, or Bend Timbers, or United PDX, or Eugene Timbers, or Westside and Eastside Timbers? Because those clubs have done well and in a few cases done much better than both academy and ECNL teams.

Bottom line - what is your kid getting out of this change? What are you, as the customer and parent, getting out of it? What is your family getting out of it? I see no answers to these questions.

What are Thorns/Westside getting out of it? Well, that's a little more clear. More revenue. A program that is more similar to a true "club" than Thorns academy ever was (which, as an earlier poster noted, will be required if they eventually jump to ECNL).

My kids are past the "pre academy" age, but you couldn't get me to touch this with a 10 foot pole. I wouldn't be interested in throwing my kid into the mess that Thorns academy has become, just to help them be more sustainable. But to each his own.

Comment

Might not be a bad idea to move the older teams to OYSA.

They really ought to consider allowing the high school aged girls to play HS soccer. That would help them to get some better players I think.
                If thorns allow high school and drop to OYSA they have a better chance at being successful.

Comment

If thorns allow high school and drop to OYSA they have a better chance at being successful.
                  Getting hammered by eight goals is good for character building.

Comment

Getting hammered by eight goals is good for character building.
                    They’ll need that character for the smack downs they will get in OYSA.

Comment

Thorns accepted to ECNL next. You will hear this next week. Fact!

Comment

Putting all Thorns teams in OYSA might be a good move.

Comment

Accepted ? it’s a pay to play system, ECNL will take anyone.
                          Sorry chump. That isn’t how it works. Nice try though.

Comment

So just to be clear:

Timbers/Thorns are collaborating to run RTC and ODP (as stated on the OYSA website). Their expectation is that local clubs will encourage players to participate in RTC and ODP.

RTC and ODP coaches will encourage players to move into the pre academy for Thorns, where they will compete against their former OYSA club teams.

OYSA (local) clubs are expected to support this, in spite of losing talented players (which lowers the overall quality of their teams) and losing revenue from players.

And we are all supposed to be okay with this? Why exactly? What is this pre-academy doing to to help players develop, that cannot already be done within the current RTC/ODP/OYSA club structure? How will results be quantified? By national team callups? Because if so, Thorns full academy is doing poorly in that regard (hint - talking a perennial callup kid into moving here from So Cal does not count as a Thorns developed player getting callups). By college placement? Is this pre academy/moving on to full academy system claiming they will get better results with college placement than Washington Timbers, or Bend Timbers, or United PDX, or Eugene Timbers, or Westside and Eastside Timbers? Because those clubs have done well and in a few cases done much better than both academy and ECNL teams.

Bottom line - what is your kid getting out of this change? What are you, as the customer and parent, getting out of it? What is your family getting out of it? I see no answers to these questions.

What are Thorns/Westside getting out of it? Well, that's a little more clear. More revenue. A program that is more similar to a true "club" than Thorns academy ever was (which, as an earlier poster noted, will be required if they eventually jump to ECNL).

My kids are past the "pre academy" age, but you couldn't get me to touch this with a 10 foot pole. I wouldn't be interested in throwing my kid into the mess that Thorns academy has become, just to help them be more sustainable. But to each his own.
                            This is just a cheat way of getting around ODP and OYSA recruiting rules.

Comment

This is just a cheat way of getting around ODP and OYSA recruiting rules.
                              Are the Thorns for profit or non profit ? Serious question. As if they are for profit (As I would expect being a professional team) how are they getting OYSA acceptance?

Comment

Are the Thorns for profit or non profit ? Serious question. As if they are for profit (As I would expect being a professional team) how are they getting OYSA acceptance?
                                Yes we have a for profit business effectively running the non profit OYSA.

The biggest problem is that the OYSA board is comprised of mental midgets with no spine or integrity.

The relevant problem is that the Timbers have a secret contract with OYSA to run the leagues that also gives away most decision power to the Timbers. So the Timbers get to set the rules. They get to violate all recruiting rules including recruiting rules around ODP. They also get to set when clubs can hold tryouts which lets them have DA and GDA tryouts ahead of club tryouts. This lets clubs like Westside Timbers hold tryouts before everyone else who then use that for recruiting into their club. It is all very unethical.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X