Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Harvard doesn't admit without knowing a student's financial circumstances. They also seek to protect their yield. There is FA to be had. If you get in they are willing to help you pay if you can't.
    All the Ivies with big endowments are known for being very generous with financial aid. I can’t imagine a qualified student not being able to afford it if they are smart enough to apply.

I think the OP on this thread forgets that student/athletes have it much harder than regular students and having good sports teams creates a huge halo effect and monetary return for the school. While there are a lot of intelligent athletes, not factoring in time lost to study for conditioning, practices, games, travel, etc. would be unfair in admissions. And all that hard work pays out in spades for the school if you have a winning team. It’s not just about who’s smartest.

Comment

D's friend turned down Harvard for basically a full academic ride to an excellent LAC and in their fellows program. Family made too much for any real financial assistance but they have 4 kids to put through college.
      hard to find an "excellent LAC" that's under $60K per year. Harvard is $70K last I checked.

That extra $10K is worth it.

Comment

Harvard is having an ID clinic this weekend - do ID clinics for soccer at Ivy leagues help a talented athlete?

Comment

Harvard is having an ID clinic this weekend - do ID clinics for soccer at Ivy leagues help a talented athlete?
          Good luck with the storm coming in.

Comment

hard to find an "excellent LAC" that's under $60K per year. Harvard is $70K last I checked.

Full ride vs student loans. And soccer girls were good not great, but boys are a horror show.

Comment

Good luck with the storm coming in.
              Doesn't Harvard have a dome?

Comment

Harvard doesn't admit without knowing a student's financial circumstances. They also seek to protect their yield. There is FA to be had. If you get in they are willing to help you pay if you can't.
                Yes the Ivies tend to be more generous but plenty still don't qualify for FA or enough of it. However unless you're majoring in theater arts it's most times worth taking out loans

Comment

OP here: if grad school is in the picture (it is in the this case) or if your career path is not a high paying one then not having big loans may be s good move. She will graduate with no debt but would have had just over 100k from Harvard. She's on the hook for grad school. Shell go to a top grad school with Ivy grads and do just fine.

Comment

but boys are a horror show.
                    Harvard men's soccer team is a horror show? Why?

Comment

Doesn't Harvard have a dome?
                      Hahaha yes.for its bell tower.

Comment

If they take the best students I would think a 97% completion rate is expected.
                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2a2c66b28a46

Comment

If you can get into Harvard you go to Harvard.
                          My wife got into Princeton but didn't go. Couldn't afford it.

It can happen.

Comment

My wife got into Princeton but didn't go. Couldn't afford it.

It can happen.
                            Was she a recruited athlete?

Comment

Harvard men's soccer team is a horror show? Why?
                              This national story didn't help with recruiting https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-u...rom%20%251%24s

Comment

Was she a recruited athlete?
                                Not the poster but it doesn't matter. There's no athletic or merit money so you need to qualify for big FA or have big $ socked away. Lots of families fall into a gray zone of making too much for FA but not enough to afford tuition. It's a problem everywhere not just Ivies. Ivies just have higher income caps amd more generous aid if you qualify

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X