Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continued:

7. Prepare a soccer profile which includes the following information (we used a two-column layout for our daughter's profile – with soccer information on one side and academic information on the other side):

Contact Information: name; mailing address (we used a PO box); telephone number; email address (we set up an email alias for our daughter to use that forwarded to her email address and our email address – so we would be able to help her stay on top of contacts from coaches); website address (if applicable)

Personal Details: birthdate; Graduation year; height; weight; position; parents' names (and email addresses); a photo (either a headshot or an action photo)

Soccer Details: club team; high school team

Team Accomplishments: tournament and league season successes (championships, placing as finalists, placing as semi-finalists), both for club team and high school team; successes of teams you've guest-played with; successes of ODP/ID2 teams (it may not have played any part in how her profile was received, but we chose to put team accomplishments before individual accomplishments – as a subtle implication that team success was more important to our daughter than her own individual success.)

Individual Accomplishments: highlights of participation in ODP/ID2, Market Training Center; individual awards for club and high school participation

Soccer References: name, position, and contact information (phone number and email address) for current club and high school coaches, club director of coaching, past coaches, ODP coaches, etc. Goalkeepers should include goalkeeper trainers. Ask permission to add their information before you do so. Ask your coaches to write quotes about you that you can include in your profile

Academic Background: high school and its location; course of study (are you pursuing honors classes?); current GPA (simple or weighted); scores for standardized tests (SAT, ACT, and/or PSAT); academic honors; counselor's name and contact information (phone number and email address). Ask permission to add their information before you do so.

Community Service: List any community service activities in which you participate.

8. Prepare video highlights. You should start recording video at an early age – in our experience, it takes some practice before you become adept at capturing video appropriate for a highlights video. We started with our daughter when she was about 12 or 13, even though coaches won't want to see video of players at that age (highlights of when they are 16 or 17 are probably more useful). Take a lot of video (it requires a lot to get enough satisfactory footage).

In your final highlights video, use an arrow or a circle to identify your child. Post it on YouTube, and keep it up to date. For field players, off the ball footage is important. We've been told that goalkeepers need videos of both highlights and training sessions, although we never ended up taking video of a training session.

It may make sense to consider hiring a professional (the perspective from the tall cameras used by many professional sports videographers can be good, especially for field players) – at most showcase tournaments, there is an approved company that takes videos. If all (or many) of the parents on your child's team chip in, the cost can be manageable.

Keep the purpose of video in mind – and this is the purpose of a lot of what you're going to be doing during the college recruiting process. No college coach will choose a player based on video highlights. What you're trying to do is convince the college coach that it will be worth their time to come watch the player at a game.

9. Consider putting your profile and highlights video on a personal website. We developed a website which included our daughter's profile, videos, photos, a schedule of where she would be playing next, etc.

10. Start the recruiting process earlier than you think you should. Freshman year is best. I can't tell you how many times we heard parents saying, "We've got plenty of time." Those are the same parents who two years later were saying, "I wish we would have started earlier."

11. Ask your club coach and director of coaching for an honest appraisal of what level of school you can play at. That will help you formulate a list of 10 schools you might want to attend from a soccer standpoint. See #12 below.

12. Research colleges from an academic and athletic standpoint. Use the U.S. News & World Report Ultimate College Guide (or something similar) and SportSource's Official Athletic College Guide for Women's Soccer. Choose 10 target schools for academics (divided fairly equally between schools where a student of your academic standing should be easily accepted, schools where acceptance will be a bit more challenging, and schools where you anticipate acceptance will be difficult) and 10 target schools for athletics (divided fairly equally between schools where a player of your skill should easily make the soccer team, schools where making the soccer team will be more challenging, and schools where making the soccer team would seem to be quite difficult). Rely on your club coaches to give you an honest assessment of your skill level, and use that assessment in evaluating which soccer programs will be easy, challenging, and difficult for you. Then focus on the overlap between your academic list and your athletic list. Note: in our experience, goalkeepers need larger athletic lists because schools that are on your original list may not be recruiting for goalkeepers in your graduation year.

13. Begin to send emails to college coaches on the overlap list in your freshman year. Include your profile and upcoming game schedules (although realistically, they probably won't come and watch you until you're in your junior year/U16-17). Copy the head coach and/or recruiting coach, depending on who you are sending the email to. Same with the goalkeeper coach if that's your position.

As a goalkeeper, our daughter's athletic list of schools was large – at least initially. Because of this and because she has a really busy schedule, we settled on an approach to emailing coaches that was a bit different than what we had read was the best approach. Once our daughter had decided on the contents of the introductory email she wanted to send to coaches, I sent those introductory emails for her from her email account. Subsequent emails (thanking a coach for coming to watch her play, thanking a coach for their time at an ID camp, and later in the process, responding to emails from coaches) were sent by her. This made the process a bit more manageable for her.

It's important to personalize even the introductory emails a bit based on your child's research of the school's academic and soccer programs. Be able to tell the coaches why you want to attend their school and play soccer for them. In our daughter's case, we came up with the basic introductory email first and then for each school, she told me why it interested her and we came up with a paragraph to add which made each introductory email more specific to the school.

14. Begin to call coaches on the overlap list. You can almost always find their phone numbers on the team web pages of the colleges' intercollegiate athletic websites. Prepare a list of questions in advance – include more questions on your list than you think you will ever ask (otherwise, you will almost certainly have "dead space" during your calls when you can't think of any more questions).

We searched on the web for lists of questions, combined the lists we found, and came up with a list of over a 100 questions. Our daughter didn't come close to asking all of the questions we came up with, but it gave her confidence that she wasn't going to run out.

At one point, when it appeared that the NCAA was going to allow coaches to initiate phone calls earlier than it had before (the new rule was rescinded before it went into effect), we prepared a list of questions our daughter could ask when coaches "cold-called" her – and when she hadn't researched the program.

I have a feeling that our daughter's introductory emails weren't as effective as introductory phone calls would have been (our process was to send introductory emails and then make phone calls to the coaches who had expressed interest in some way, but now I wonder if it would have been better to just start out with phone calls because I suspect coaches get a ton of emails and a player's introductory email could easily be lost in the shuffle).

It will be a challenge for your son and daughter to make these phone calls, but they can start with schools for which they believe they could easily make the team – it may end up being practice, or depending on how well you and your child have judged their abilities, it may end up being one of the schools they seriously consider. Your child should keep in mind that college coaches talk on the phone with youth soccer players quite a bit – they know you're nervous. Sometimes (especially if they want your child badly), they will be nervous too. Your child will probably never be completely comfortable with this part of the process, but it's a good growth opportunity for them.

Comment

15. Play in showcase tournaments. But choose the right showcases - it doesn't do any good to play in a showcase where 300 college coaches are in attendance if the coaches of the schools you want to attend aren't going to be there.

This is probably the biggest fallacy that leads to players frequently switching clubs. The thought is that the only way to get seen by college coaches is to play on a team that's going to Surf Cup, Disney, Las Vegas Showcase, etc. every year. And so if the team you're playing for doesn't go to those showcases, you'll have to switch teams or you won't be seen by college coaches. That's a fallacy that coaches and parents on other teams (who have a specific motivation – that their child's team will get better so that their child will be seen by college coaches because they've believed the fallacy as well) try to convince you of.

Players who take this approach are hoping that one of the coaches who sees them play will want them to come to their school, and they are relying on volume to facilitate the recruiting process for them. Their thinking is that if there are 300 college coaches watching, the chances increase of one or more of those coaches seeing them and wanting them to come play at their school.

This line of thinking is logical to a point, but its making assumptions that don't have to be made. A better strategy, we think, is to make the lists of colleges suggested in point #12 above and then use effective strategies to put yourself in front of those coaches. Find out where they will be – their own ID camps, other schools' ID camps, ODP camps, Market Training Center events, showcases, etc. Then do everything you can to put yourself in front of those coaches at those events. Ask your club coach and coaching director to talk to those coaches in advance and ask them to watch you.

Consult the college coach lists at showcase websites. And/or just ask the coaches when you call them which showcase tournaments they will be attending and if they would come and watch you play. Make sure your club coach knows what colleges you want to attend and what college coaches you anticipate coming to watch you play so they can do their best to give you adequate playing time in games where the coaches of your target colleges will be watching.

16. Your team should develop a team profile that can be distributed to college coaches at showcase tournaments. The team flier should include the following:

Team Information: team name; team photo; about our team; team accomplishments

Who To Contact: We included contact information for our team's coach, our team's goalkeeper coach, our team manager, and our club's director of coaching.

Brief Profiles of Individual Players: name; uniform number; position; height; weight; left- or right-footed (or both); parents' names; phone number; email address; high school; graduation year; GPA; test scores (SAT, ACT, and/or PSAT); up to 5 academic/community service accomplishments; up to 5 athletic accomplishments

We printed all of this on two-sided 11x17 sheets of paper and created a tri-fold brochure that was 11 inches tall and approximately 5.67 inches wide.

We ended up printing the fliers with the "About Our Team" and "Team Accomplishments" sections blank, and then created clear labels to fit those areas so that we could print a large number of fliers (we had them printed by a local stationery store) and then customize them for each showcase tournament. This also allowed us to include our tournament schedule in the "About Our Team" section. Since we believed other teams might initially attract more college coaches, we felt including our tournament schedule might be helpful.

We assigned one outgoing parent to be in charge of distributing the fliers to coaches. It doesn't take long to get a sense of who the college coaches are – they tend to sit apart, they often wear clothes that have their college's name on them, they sometimes have clipboards, etc. The person who distributes the fliers should keep track of the names and colleges of the coaches to whom they give fliers and should note the games those coaches attended (so you will know if coaches attend more than one of your games, which could possibly signify greater interest). The list of coaches and their schools should be distributed to the players after the tournament – if you want to help your players, you can research contact information for the coaches at their program websites prior to distributing the list to the players.

17. Write thank you notes to coaches who watched you play. Emails are good, but a handwritten note will really stand out. A phone call would stand out even more.

18. Guest-play strategically if necessary – but make sure you will play. And make sure the guest-playing opportunities will be at events where the coaches you want to play for will be watching. If you can find out what games the coaches you want to play for will come and watch you (hint: it's a good question for a phone call!), you can pass that information on to the coach of the team for which you will be guest-playing.

19. Attend ID camps at the colleges you're interested in – but contact the coach first to let them know you will be attending and your purpose. And/or have your club coach and/or director of coaching contact the coaches to let them know you will be attending. Attendance at an ID camp can be invaluable in the recruiting process (we know it helped tremendously in our daughter's case – it was the first time, to our knowledge at least, that the coaching staff of the college she will be attending saw her play). But you have to be certain they will watch you during the camp. There will probably be a lot of players attending the camp, and you want to make sure that you are "on their radar" from the beginning. A call from your club coach or director of coaching will help in that regard, as will a phone call or email from you.

I recently read about a brilliant tactic a goalkeeper's family employed to get her seen by the coach of the school she wanted to attend: "We found a camp where the coach of the university (our daughter) was interested in was going to be there. We had not been able to get them to see (our daughter) at any tournaments, but they had shown interest from video. I called (the) camp director (and) asked (for our daughter to) be put on the opposing team to the coach of the school she was interested in. She was on the weaker team and got the action she needed. (The) next day (the) coach came over and asked if she was interested in joining his team/school."

20. Network, network, network. Your club coach and director of coaching can be invaluable in this regard if you reach out to them (early in the process). Keep them apprised of your progress and target schools.

21. Watch as many college games as possible. Either on TV or in person. If you watch one of your "overlap" teams' games in person, sit in a strategic spot to maximize the chances that the coach will see you (we started doing this after our daughter had attended the ID camp of her dream school - so the coaches knew who she was in advance).

22. Register for the NCAA clearinghouse

23. Be aware of recruiting rules. You can download the NCAA Guide for the College Bound Student Athlete at the NCAA website.

24. For the schools you're interested in, "like" the Facebook page of their soccer program. Follow them on Twitter. Comment on their Facebook page after games you've watched.

25. Boys – consider participating on a Development Academy team. If that's not possible.consider participating in ODP or id2. Girls – consider playing on an ECNL team or participating in ODP, id2. It's more important for boys to play on a Development Academy team than it is for girls to play on an ECNL team. Investigate the possibility (with your club's DOC) of receiving an invite to a US Soccer Market Training Center event/training session.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The advice by a friend-college coach was

- 2-3 minutes maximum. It's called a highlight real for a reason. You'll need to run the camera a good deal to capture some good moments.
        - Try to show a variety, not just say a striker shooting goal after goal; dribbling, passing, assists etc. for a GK show a number of different things like passing to other players and rollouts, not just great saves
        - Don't bother with flashy graphics or obsess over music
        - Have a starting page with your key information on it (name, club, HS, GPA, size/weight). Literally like a one page power point

If a coach wants to see more they will ask. Some coaches don't watch anything and will only watch you live. Many use their assistants to screen. It's good to have but don't go nuts.
        This is spot on (and I have coached college at Varsity level). The one thing I would add is don't show the same talent over and over again (I had one film showing me no less than 15 goals in 3 minutes..I got the idea after the first 3!) Also, Soccer IQ is a LOT more important than anything else. We can find athletes, talented ones too, they are easy to find but show me a smart player who knows how to play off the ball and consistently make smart decisions with the ball and I'll come to see more.

Comment

This is spot on (and I have coached college at Varsity level). The one thing I would add is don't show the same talent over and over again (I had one film showing me no less than 15 goals in 3 minutes..I got the idea after the first 3!) Also, Soccer IQ is a LOT more important than anything else. We can find athletes, talented ones too, they are easy to find but show me a smart player who knows how to play off the ball and consistently make smart decisions with the ball and I'll come to see more.
          Why a video at all? I think someone said maybe the post was started by a video company?! If the coach is really interested, with her checkbook, they will come to a showcase event. Not a single player on my daughter’s team did a video. I do support a top drawer profile with any articles or notes to supplement. Good luck.

Comment

Not a single player on my daughter’s team did a video. I do support a top drawer profile with any articles or notes to supplement. Good luck.
            Brought to you by a service that charges a yearly fee.

Comment

Why a video at all? I think someone said maybe the post was started by a video company?! If the coach is really interested, with her checkbook, they will come to a showcase event. Not a single player on my daughter’s team did a video. I do support a top drawer profile with any articles or notes to supplement. Good luck.
              This is a silly post. No one shows up with a “checkbook” until at least 2/3 of the way through the process. All this “My kid verbally committed” nonsense is just that until NLI time.

Getting noticed in the first place takes a lot of effort. Video can be an effective part of promoting yourself.

Using a video service never made sense to me. They weren’t going to care about my child like I do, nor would they know their strengths. They would just show up to a match and film using the spray and pray method, fingers crossed that they would catch something.

I bought $3,000 worth of HD camcorders (10 x $300) and placed them everywhere before the match, hit record and walked away. I got to watch the action without following it through a stupid video screen.

I also spent $2,000 on a very capable video editing laptop, $150 on a massive portable hard drive and $150 on high end video editing software.

In the end things worked out quite well.

Comment

This is a silly post. No one shows up with a “checkbook” until at least 2/3 of the way through the process. All this “My kid verbally committed” nonsense is just that until NLI time.

Getting noticed in the first place takes a lot of effort. Video can be an effective part of promoting yourself.

Using a video service never made sense to me. They weren’t going to care about my child like I do, nor would they know their strengths. They would just show up to a match and film using the spray and pray method, fingers crossed that they would catch something.

I bought $3,000 worth of HD camcorders (10 x $300) and placed them everywhere before the match, hit record and walked away. I got to watch the action without following it through a stupid video screen.

I also spent $2,000 on a very capable video editing laptop, $150 on a massive portable hard drive and $150 on high end video editing software.

I totally agree in the marketing bit. Everthing helps even if not every coach watches it. Also totally agree its it's sits something easier, cheaper and probably better done yourself. But you way over spent. You can do a nice job for a fraction less - unless you're bullshi ting which is always possible on TS.

Comment

I bought a video camera but found that my phone worked best. I upgraded to a iPhone with a lot of memory and bought a tripod and set it up and recorded entire games. It was small and simple to operate and reliable. My daughter is a GK so I could set it and forget it, however if you have a field player you would need to stand and move it. I was at a showcase once next to a Dad with a tall pole with a camera and a remote controller with a view screen, cool setup but kind of crazy.

It was super easy to use iMovie to edit and make a 1-2 minute highlight video from a whole game. Then I would break it down further and make a 2 minute video from several games.

We kept the video handy and she sent it out when inviting her top schools to come see her play along with her player profile.

Comment

I wonder if this guy’s kid’s deal was directly a result of and introduction made from this set up. My bet is it’s just like the super expensive car you have to know he drives. It’s for bragging about. If his kid had actual talent he wouldn’t need all the video stuff. Coaches would know about his kid.

Comment

I totally agree in the marketing bit. Everthing helps even if not every coach watches it. Also totally agree its it's sits something easier, cheaper and probably better done yourself. But you way over spent. You can do a nice job for a fraction less - unless you're bullshi ting which is always possible on TS.
                      Still sounds like s fishing expedition.

Comment

I'm totally nuts and I embrace that.

1 camera positioned at each corner facing out to about midfield from the goal.

2 cameras on both sides of the field at half, all facing from half to goal.

2 cameras up in the stands, each catching a different half of the field from high.

1 wireless remote to start recording on all cameras at once.

All I needed to do was keep track of the time and mark down what minute of the recording the highlights happened at.

No matter where the highlight on the field I had a decent angle on it.

I could have spent less but I would have actively been filming rather than enjoying the games. You can't get those moments back no matter how much you spend after the fact.

Comment

I'm totally nuts and I embrace that.

1 camera positioned at each corner facing out to about midfield from the goal.

2 cameras on both sides of the field at half, all facing from half to goal.

2 cameras up in the stands, each catching a different half of the field from high.

1 wireless remote to start recording on all cameras at once.

All I needed to do was keep track of the time and mark down what minute of the recording the highlights happened at.

No matter where the highlight on the field I had a decent angle on it.

I could have spent less but I would have actively been filming rather than enjoying the games. You can't get those moments back no matter how much you spend after the fact.
                          You were so busy being that “helicopter parent” that you couldn’t hear everyone saying “he is nuts”.

Comment

The advice by a friend-college coach was

- 2-3 minutes maximum. It's called a highlight real for a reason. You'll need to run the camera a good deal to capture some good moments.
                            - Try to show a variety, not just say a striker shooting goal after goal; dribbling, passing, assists etc. for a GK show a number of different things like passing to other players and rollouts, not just great saves
                            - Don't bother with flashy graphics or obsess over music
                            - Have a starting page with your key information on it (name, club, HS, GPA, size/weight). Literally like a one page power point

If a coach wants to see more they will ask. Some coaches don't watch anything and will only watch you live. Many use their assistants to screen. It's good to have but don't go nuts.

As someone experienced on this with kids, this is good advice. For the better college teams, the video is in fact 'bait'. The coach will simply have more interest to watch your child in a game. For the weaker non-division 1....maybe only division 3 teams, a video might even suffice, but not likely.

Comment

^^^Maybe it is a fishing expedition, but you can't catch any fish without bait. Coaches at better programs get hundreds of emails. If a 3 minute video gets them to watch your showcase game vs another player? That's a win.

It's not a big deal to do and certainly doesn't require multiple cameras and expensive equipment. The one thing I would recommend besides a tripod is a view shade - in bright light it can get tough to see what you're actually taping. It's an inexpensive made-in-china thing that slips onto of the viewfinder of your camera

Comment

^^^Maybe it is a fishing expedition, but you can't catch any fish without bait. Coaches at better programs get hundreds of emails. If a 3 minute video gets them to watch your showcase game vs another player? That's a win.

It's not a big deal to do and certainly doesn't require multiple cameras and expensive equipment. The one thing I would recommend besides a tripod is a view shade - in bright light it can get tough to see what you're actually taping. It's an inexpensive made-in-china thing that slips onto of the viewfinder of your camera
                                Video is definitely the bait when your kid is a keeper. Field players usually look like little ants in a video.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X