Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    LOL. Ok, so they didn't make time to go to a HS game, asked to make sure they were a leader. Standard questions.

They saw her at an ID clinic, and asked her generic questions about HS. Didn't even call her coach.

That pretty much explains it all right there.
    I think we are on the same side. I was commenting on several posts about how high school soccer can be competitive and how they need more good coaches and someone on here or on the MA side wrote how you didn’t need to play club to play division 1 college. I was saying that high school soccer is good for different reasons besides playing good soccer. Girls are very social and enjoy the comraderie with their peers and friends at school and if they are being recruited to play division 1 then they are very good and so being a captain and a leader and gaining notoriety in the school and town are all great accolades in hopes of becoming a humble and strong individual and team player. The recruitment process was different than I expected in that meetings with coaches like an “interview” were so important. Yes my daughter had a smooth recruitement process in hindsight and many coaches saw her play at showcases and at Id clinics and were interested but it comes down to a match between player, school, and soccer program. Being a great teammate and working hard were even higher on the list of must haves than her technical skills and speed and size. Playing high school did help develop these other important qualities and I have to add that girls playing DA will miss out.

Comment

I think we are on the same side. I was commenting on several posts about how high school soccer can be competitive and how they need more good coaches and someone on here or on the MA side wrote how you didn’t need to play club to play division 1 college. I was saying that high school soccer is good for different reasons besides playing good soccer. Girls are very social and enjoy the comraderie with their peers and friends at school and if they are being recruited to play division 1 then they are very good and so being a captain and a leader and gaining notoriety in the school and town are all great accolades in hopes of becoming a humble and strong individual and team player. The recruitment process was different than I expected in that meetings with coaches like an “interview” were so important. Yes my daughter had a smooth recruitement process in hindsight and many coaches saw her play at showcases and at Id clinics and were interested but it comes down to a match between player, school, and soccer program. Being a great teammate and working hard were even higher on the list of must haves than her technical skills and speed and size. Playing high school did help develop these other important qualities and I have to add that girls playing DA will miss out.
      Could those other qualities gained from HS soccer be gained elsewhere? Student Council, community activities, etc.?

Not discounting HS, but also don't necessarily buy-in that it's a requirement to show someone being well-rounded. Being a good teammate and working hard would still be present on the club team, along with technical/tactical abilities.

Comment

Could those other qualities gained from HS soccer be gained elsewhere? Student Council, community activities, etc.?

Not discounting HS, but also don't necessarily buy-in that it's a requirement to show someone being well-rounded. Being a good teammate and working hard would still be present on the club team, along with technical/tactical abilities.
        Of course they could. But I stand firm on missing out if they don’t play high school soccer. I know several who didn’t play last year and/or this year and both players and parents wish they could for a variety of reasons. One player and family is like “We don’t want to play since it’s so bad, kids are awful, coach is a jerk because shes so good, doesn’t give her the credit, other parents are mean because she’s so good, blah blah blah.” And guess what that kid is not a good teammate on her club team and parents are obnoxious. I know it’s a smal sampling but it doesn’t sit well with me.

Comment

Playing a sport intensely leaves less time for other activities. Admissions officers like HS sport participation, especially in leadership roles (you still have to get past admissions offices, even more so D3). Playing a club sport is not viewed in the same light.

Comment

Playing a sport intensely leaves less time for other activities. Admissions officers like HS sport participation, especially in leadership roles (you still have to get past admissions offices, even more so D3). Playing a club sport is not viewed in the same light.
            Not always true.

In fact in our discussions they have been impressed that she’s been able to be a school leader and active in the community outside of soccer. Shows her well-roundedness.

School likes the package; team like the club.

Comment

Not always true.

In fact in our discussions they have been impressed that she’s been able to be a school leader and active in the community outside of soccer. Shows her well-roundedness.

Impressed? Being involved in the school, community service, national honor society, etc are all must haves not “extras”.

Comment

Not always true.

D1 coaches care about the player as a player. D1 school admissions simply follow NCAA requirements which is a 2.3 GPA and a sliding scale SAT/ACT (3.5 or higher GPA for example requires a 400 on the SATs). NESCAC schools are different so I assume you are “in discussions” with one otherwise there’s no discussion with admissions or the school. Everything goes through the coach. Yes transcripts and class schedules and tax returns are sent to the school but that’s to cross the ts and dot the is. The coach gets who the coach wants.

Comment

If schools paid better maybe they would attract a better quality of coach, then they wouldn’t have to insist on hiring science or maths teachers or coaches who know nothing about the game which would then lead to their better players wanting to stay and play high school soccer.

95% of the high school coaches are clueless, so why would any half decent player give up the chance of good quality coaching at a club opposed to being coached to just play boom ball.

I know there isn’t many, but if there is a stud at the D2 or D3 High school level, that level of play and coaching is mediocre at best with the odd good coach, can you blame them for wanting to better themselves? Or do you let them go stagnant playing with lesser players?

Some states have Girls HS Soccer in the Fall, and Boys HS Soccer in the Spring. Mixes it up a little bit, would allow good coaches to double up and coach both, this probably wouldn’t work in NE.

The whole structure, Club Soccer, DA ECNL and HS Soccer needs changing.
                  Lets take this one paragraph at a time:
                  In NH we have some excellent coaches in the HS ranks and in my division - 9 are current club coaches with SUSC, FCStars, or GPS. The vast majority of us have our NSCAA C license - which most of the upper level soccer club coaches have. So I will say your claim is wrong.

There are ALWAYS DIII and DII players playing HS soccer. ALWAYS! Look at the SNHU rosters - 5 former NHIAA girls soccer players on the womens team and 6 mens team players all played HS soccer in NH. At St. Anselm - has 8 boys NH soccer players - one SUSC DA kid. 3 of the 6 UNH New Hampshire grown players played HS soccer... Wrong again.

States that play soccer in the spring are typically southern because of the heat impact and football in the fall is king for field space and games. I played HS soccer in GA for two years and then my jr & sr year in NC. We did not have LAX and spring football was nowhere near as popular as fall football. My HS in NC had over 120 boys playing football with a freshman team, a JV A and a JV B team and the Varsity. NO fields were ever available for soccer practice in the fall. Right now my cousin is a NPL coach in NC and the high school varsity coach at his school too. Club coaches already double up here and there despite your claim. SUSC even has the resumes of their coaches online and several are HS coaches too. Wrong - strike 3 - you're out!

Comment

D1 coaches care about the player as a player. D1 school admissions simply follow NCAA requirements which is a 2.3 GPA and a sliding scale SAT/ACT (3.5 or higher GPA for example requires a 400 on the SATs). NESCAC schools are different so I assume you are “in discussions” with one otherwise there’s no discussion with admissions or the school. Everything goes through the coach. Yes transcripts and class schedules and tax returns are sent to the school but that’s to cross the ts and dot the is. The coach gets who the coach wants.
                    So not true. Soccer isn't a revenue sport like basketball or football. It's definitely not true at the many D3s players want nor at top D1 academics and certainly not Ivies. You have to at least be close to admission standards, within acceptable bands they have. Coaches also won't go to bat for more than a few players each year. They don't want players who will struggle academically or might pull down the team GPA. If you're a soccer stud he really wants, yes. If you're player #7 he's recruiting and your grades aren't up to snuff? Less likely. But if you're player #7 and you're a good student? You're golden. Finally, you'd be foolish to send your kid to a school where they may struggle academically.

Comment

Impressed? Being involved in the school, community service, national honor society, etc are all must haves not “extras”.
                      And depending on when your club team practices, how far you have to travel and your academic load, club sports can make doing other activities difficult.

Comment

So not true. Soccer isn't a revenue sport like basketball or football. It's definitely not true at the many D3s players want nor at top D1 academics and certainly not Ivies. You have to at least be close to admission standards, within acceptable bands they have. Coaches also won't go to bat for more than a few players each year. They don't want players who will struggle academically or might pull down the team GPA. If you're a soccer stud he really wants, yes. If you're player #7 he's recruiting and your grades aren't up to snuff? Less likely. But if you're player #7 and you're a good student? You're golden. Finally, you'd be foolish to send your kid to a school where they may struggle academically.
                        I agree. My daughter is a good student and that helped her recruitment. She’s going to a school that she would be right on the fence getting into but she’s pretty close and I’m sure that helped. The coach wanted her and offered a good amount of money but I know that she also figures she can handle the rigors of their competitive school’s academics. A school doesn’t want to invest in a student that doesn’t work out for one reason or another. It’s a total package. I think average students who are very talented will obviously still be wanted by good D1 schools but schools that are hard to get into have to make certain the players will be successful and rightfully so.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X