Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yet even in FL the options are limited and the top programs have plenty of out of state players and even international ones competing for spots. If you're willing to go out of state there are many more options.
    Most of the international players aim for the larger D1 schools, more money, better opportunity to get drafted in the US while continuing their education.

On the women's side, UF does a good job of keeping them home grown with only 4, FAU 4, FSU has 8, USF has 8, UCF has 10.

Comment

College level soccer is a harder path for boys than it is for girls. USF, FIU, Rollins, FIT, FGCU and Stetson are the only choices I believe. Not having UF, FSU or UCF as a choice is a shame. No SEC mens' soccer at all.

For girls there are a lot more choices at different levels depending on your ability at major. One of the few advantages in a sport for women.

Best of luck to your son.
      Why are those the only choices? What about St. Leo, Eckerd, UT, Barry, PBAC, Lynn, UCF, FAU, UNF, UWF, Webber, Southeastern, FL College, Flagler, all the Jr. Colleges? There's a program for pretty much any level player (if they really want to play college soccer).

Comment

In a way what we do as parents paying 1000's of dollars each year for our kids to play soccer is not much different than what those who were caught up in the recent college scandal. Sure we are not cheating the system like they did, but just playing it legally. We know our daughter's chances to get into a school are much better if they will play a sport in college so that justifies the money spent.

However, it is all part of a bigger problem with student loan system and unlimited amount of money available to college and universities via Uncle Sam. So schools keep raising the tuition because nobody worries about the cost because at least upfront they are not paying. Now schools are flooded with applicants, for many college may not have been the best fit, or many leave with somewhat useless degrees.

All this has made it so competitive and the club sports are there to reap in the money that we all gladly hand over. We are already at the point where ECNL/DA club/team fees are 3k-5K before you pay one penny in gas to go to the first practice. We are all jumping through hoops, but since all of us are doing it we are no better off than we were back in the days when kids played at local clubs and school ball.

This kinda circles back to one of the other posts on this thread challenging schools to hold all athletes to the same academic rigor for entry as regular students. If a student drops below a 3.0 they stand to lose their Bright Futures qualification. If you are going to school on an equivalency sports like soccer on a partial athletic scholarship with the bulk coming from Bright Futures, you are hosed. A blue chip football or Basketball player probably does not run that risk as the min is a 2.3 gpa I think...don't hold me to that without looking it up but the premise is correct.

Comment

Why are those the only choices? What about St. Leo, Eckerd, UT, Barry, PBAC, Lynn, UCF, FAU, UNF, UWF, Webber, Southeastern, FL College, Flagler, all the Jr. Colleges? There's a program for pretty much any level player (if they really want to play college soccer).
          For those schools? No thank you. Academics first.

Comment

I don't agree with all of what you said. Especially your first paragraph. HOWEVER you make some very solid points in the other paragraphs. Nice post!!!
            Actually his first paragraph is very accurate.

Comment

I was attempting to name D1 public schools, forgot UCF and UNF. If your kid is strong academically, not sure some of the others would be a consideration unless you put playing soccer higher than the quality of the education.

The OP's original point and crux of this thread was is about using soccer to get into a good school and the difficulty of maintaining a high gpa for merit scholarships.

There are people who feel that where you get your degree doesn't matter and being able to play in college is just as important. I'm not one of them.

Comment

For those schools? No thank you. Academics first.
                Well, you put FGCU, Rollins, FIU, and USF on the list, you didn't qualify any percieved academic preference (obviously with the schools you listed), and just mentioned it's more difficult on the boys side. You also said it's a shame that UCF isn't on the list. Why isn't it? UCF has played in and hosted tournament games several times. Their men's program is fine.

Comment

Yes, there is a college for every player. I totally agree. However, the issue for some students, especially those that excel academically, is choosing between a lower academic school and playing soccer OR a major university and club/no soccer. The schools you list are decent schools and certainly serve a role for its student bodies, but it is should be understood that a degree from UF has a higher level of recognition than for example PBAC. Not taking away from either school, but when graduate school applications are reviewed, a BS from UF/FSU is going to be weighted differently than St. Leo/Lynn. Just as a BS from Harvard/Yale is viewed different than UF/FSU, even though they are technically the same degree.

Comment

Well, you put FGCU, Rollins, FIU, and USF on the list, you didn't qualify any percieved academic preference (obviously with the schools you listed), and just mentioned it's more difficult on the boys side. You also said it's a shame that UCF isn't on the list. Why isn't it? UCF has played in and hosted tournament games several times. Their men's program is fine.
                    Your responding to a different person and I address missing UCF and UNF. Everybody has a different lines where they draw in the rankings for a good education. I was not intending to disrespect any particular school. Simply left two off the list that should have been included.

Comment

Yes, there is a college for every player. I totally agree. However, the issue for some students, especially those that excel academically, is choosing between a lower academic school and playing soccer OR a major university and club/no soccer. The schools you list are decent schools and certainly serve a role for its student bodies, but it is should be understood that a degree from UF has a higher level of recognition than for example PBAC. Not taking away from either school, but when graduate school applications are reviewed, a BS from UF/FSU is going to be weighted differently than St. Leo/Lynn. Just as a BS from Harvard/Yale is viewed different than UF/FSU, even though they are technically the same degree.
                      Yeah, I agree overall, but I also went to one of the schools on the list, played soccer there, and received a Graduate degree from a different school not on the list. I have never lost out of a job to someone from UF or FSU, and know for a fact that I've been chosen for jobs over other applicants from those schools, even before receiving my graduate degree. The student-athlete should choose the school for their program first, and then if they still want to play, choose the school with the team's overall program. The coach is lower on the list, since he/she could leave during the student's time there.
                      In the early stages of the recruiting/college choice process, don't just dismiss any level of soccer if the school fits with the program of study the player wants. Many players (and parents) just write-off programs they never heard of without even seeing the level required to play there. Ask most players and parents about Lynn soccer and they couldn't tell you even what division they're in. But they've won multiple national championships, so has FIT, UT. PBAC was a tiny CC with terrible facilities, now they're a powerhouse and played in a National Final. Very few top ECNL or DA players would even be looked by them now.

Comment

Yeah, I agree overall, but I also went to one of the schools on the list, played soccer there, and received a Graduate degree from a different school not on the list. I have never lost out of a job to someone from UF or FSU, and know for a fact that I've been chosen for jobs over other applicants from those schools, even before receiving my graduate degree. The student-athlete should choose the school for their program first, and then if they still want to play, choose the school with the team's overall program. The coach is lower on the list, since he/she could leave during the student's time there.
                        In the early stages of the recruiting/college choice process, don't just dismiss any level of soccer if the school fits with the program of study the player wants. Many players (and parents) just write-off programs they never heard of without even seeing the level required to play there. Ask most players and parents about Lynn soccer and they couldn't tell you even what division they're in. But they've won multiple national championships, so has FIT, UT. PBAC was a tiny CC with terrible facilities, now they're a powerhouse and played in a National Final. Very few top ECNL or DA players would even be looked by them now.
                        If no players or parents have heard of Lynn Soccer, I assume that no job recruiter has heard of Lynn College either. I have nothing against Lynn (I've actually never heard about it until now), but the reality is that in a competitive job market, regardless of the program of study, it would be really helpful for the average guy (who is not from the town of Lynn) to have at least heard about the school. ....now don't go getting all offended...this is not a personal statement against Lynn College, or the beautiful town of Lynn (wherever that is)

Comment

Thread OP here. Thank you for quantifying. Definitely would not want to see this thread turn into a school bashing argument. Lot of good comments which I hope help other familys in making their decisions.

UF and UCF were my daughter non playing fall back schools - (She recieved no interest from UF and most likely would not have started at UCF...for sure as not as a freshman) - and she specifically targeted schools that ranked int he top 50 for engineering. If she would not have found the correct school/money balance; she would have ended up studying chemical engineering at one of those two and not playing.

I will reiterate that it has been hard and made her a stronger person but there were plenty of time we wished she enrolled at UF or UCF, joined a sorority and played club soccer. After her internship this summer, we will see if she continues playing her sr. year as she must maintain a 3.5 for a large portion of her merit funding and have any shot at a quality med school.

However, that was her choice and our choice as parents to support.

Kudos to those super kids who can do it at schools like Stanford, Duke, Georgetown, UCLA....Maintain high grades and play in top 25 programs.

Kudos to the jr college kids chasing their dreams if playing pro someday is the goal and that is the beginning of their path.

Comment

As well as top recruiting companies go to the top schools first. Sure there are success stories from every university and plenty of failures from top schools. But, overall, going to a top school will open more doors as you come out of school (job or grad school) than a lower level one. It's just a fact. That means you start higher up on the ladder. Yes someone who starts lower on the ladder can't reach or surpass you, but statistically the odds are not the same. That's what parents are hoping for when helping guide their kids through the college process. With the cost of school now I can't blame them. Everyone wants as many reassurances as possible.

Comment

If no players or parents have heard of Lynn Soccer, I assume that no job recruiter has heard of Lynn College either. I have nothing against Lynn (I've actually never heard about it until now), but the reality is that in a competitive job market, regardless of the program of study, it would be really helpful for the average guy (who is not from the town of Lynn) to have at least heard about the school. ....now don't go getting all offended...this is not a personal statement against Lynn College, or the beautiful town of Lynn (wherever that is)
                              I believe Lynn has won all those titles with nearly all international players. So sure, go to a weaker school to be a bench warmer.

Comment

I believe Lynn has won all those titles with nearly all international players. So sure, go to a weaker school to be a bench warmer.
                                They won a few when they were called College of Boca Raton with South African & American players. They won when the name was changed to Lynn and they went NCAA D2 with a bunch of English and American players. Only the bench warmers warm the bench. Just get better.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X