Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If they go to a low level college it's that much harder to get into a high level med school. It's just how it works. Sure it can be done but is incrementally harder than if you go to a good undergrad program.
    But dont worry, theres still all those Caribbean med schools.
    Ummm...so a person's nationality and physical location of a school is critical? Interesting. I guess then you only allow white males to medically examine you? Fvcking racist. You can leave the 1950s at anytime Bobby Joe.

Comment

My oldest daughter was home this weekend along with two of her still close club teammates. My oldest is in her 3rd year playing D1 out of state at a great engineering school with middling competitive soccer program.

Out of the 18 girls from her club team, 12 committed which is not bad. A couple of the other girls could have played at some college somewhere but not at their college of choice so they are playing college club etc. They were recruited by various D1/D2 schools schools in and out of state. My daughter got into her school in large in part because it is an academically challenging school so that her major, grades and scores enabled her to qualify for some nice academic scholarships that offset a uninspiring athletic offer (Title 9 sucks).

Out of her 12 teammates who committed, 6 are still playing, 2 have transferred schools to play elsewhere with 1 is no longer in school at all. Of the 5 still in school but no longer playing a few of them transferred back to Florida schools to finish/change their degrees. This is pertinent because my oldest has also expressed a desire to forego playing her senior year because the rigor of engineering classes/internship and athletics have become too burdensome with her sights set on grad or perhaps med school "if" she qualifies. Though her coach asked her to take to the summer while at her internship to think it over, we have no idea which way she is leaning.

All her club teammates were/are great kids, good students with supporting if not crazy parents with a number of her teammates being superior athletes to my daughter. We pushed picking the school over the soccer program in case something like this happened (admittedly we were more concerned about injury than burn out).

I think in the end my daughter is very lucky because she is going earn her Chem Engineering degree whether she plays her sr. year or not. There were times we were worried and once drove 12 hrs straight to spend the weekend with her because she was stressed out and didn't want her coaches or teammates to know.

With our youngest heading up north to play softball, we are better prepared and better informed going through the recruitment process, again picking an academic program over an athletic program. While title 9 money sucks a 1500/4.3 will can get your kid a nice package to many good schools so if in the end; playing four years is not the cards, your kid will not have to uproot their life in college.

It is not a joke when you hear D1 athletics is a job, especially when playing far from home. Your kid will get into arguments with their coaches over classes. Sometimes its missing classes, sometimes it going to class instead of going to a therapy/rehab session. If your kid asks to miss a practice for more time to study for an upcoming test, they won't say no....but your kids may sit the bench for 80 mins next game too.

Overall I think my daughter will tell you it has been a great experience and I don't think our family would have done things much differently but be realistic in your goals while sitting on the sideline crabbing about the coach, playtime, refs.....whatever.
      I'm not sure what your grief is over Title IX. Title IX is what forces schools to actually GIVE athletic aid to women. Without Title IX you girl would have about half the D1 soccer programs to choose from and many wouldn't be offering ANY aid to a female sport. You seem out of touch with your facts. The NCAA sets the limit on the number of scholarships for equivalency sports like soccer, not Title IX.

Comment

Ummm...so a person's nationality and physical location of a school is critical? Interesting. I guess then you only allow white males to medically examine you? Fvcking racist. You can leave the 1950s at anytime Bobby Joe.

Your lack of reading comprehension is dumbfounding if that is what you gleaned from the post you're answering. If you want to blame someone for your failures, look in a mirror.

Comment

I'm not sure what your grief is over Title IX. Title IX is what forces schools to actually GIVE athletic aid to women. Without Title IX you girl would have about half the D1 soccer programs to choose from and many wouldn't be offering ANY aid to a female sport. You seem out of touch with your facts. The NCAA sets the limit on the number of scholarships for equivalency sports like soccer, not Title IX.
          Yeah I didn't get that either. Most would be thrilled to be getting 85%+ off their bill. Who cares if it's more merit vs athletic - merit sticks all four years and is preferred. Compared to the men's side, women have far more chances to play in college and to receive substantial monies for it - there's 100 more D1 programs + more scholarships (14 vs 9.9). That assumes it's fully funded, which if there's a big football program it should be. There's also far fewer international players on the women's side taking scholarships. On the men's side getting 25% athletic is considered doing well. Someone once explained that women's athletic money tends to look like a bell curve - a few players might get closer to a full ride on one end (starting GK one of them) , most will fall into 40-60% and then a few on the other end get less. His kid having good grades meant the coach could give her less athletic $ and give another player who didn't have as strong grades more.

Comment

What an idiot. It has nothing to do with nationality but the quality of the medical school. You go to your doctor who could only get into Trinidad and Tobago U. I'll stick with mine who went to Johns Hopkins.

Comment

I suppose my view stems from the what I perceive as a lack of protection in the regard of headcount vs equivalency sports. I view it as a loophole that the NCAA and colleges themselves can and do make the distinction between revenue and non revenue generating sports. I did not mean to imply Title 9 itself was a bad thing, just that it stops short in the regards to scholarships. Title 9 has the requirement that men and women receive scholarships proportional to their participation but lets the NCAA dictate the difference of a headcount vs. not.

Comment

No worries. There are 14 scholarships that are available to be to doled out regardless of the what the tuition is. There are 28 players on the roster so no one, at least I don't think so, got a full athletic ride. For my kid it worked out a little over 65% merit, about 26% athletic, work study program, some other outside STEM scholarship programs, Florida Prepaid equivalency and some help from us. Her internship this summer is a paying one with housing so that will help alot too.

Though there are players who got more, coaches are very good at math and know what your kids merit portion will be before you do to be sure.
                You do realize your kid got nearly a full ride, right? Who cares what the composition is? Full athletic rides are few and far between even for women and no one should expect one. Her good grades freed up some $ for the coach to give another player more. While I agree with all you said in your longer post, your complaints about title 9 are way off base. Even if the coach just split all his $ equally that means 28 women are going to school for half off, not including merit, financial aid or other monies. But that isn't how it works - he'll use more $ to entice the players he really wants and less for solid but not game changing players.

Comment

You do realize your kid got nearly a full ride, right? Who cares what the composition is? Full athletic rides are few and far between even for women and no one should expect one. Her good grades freed up some $ for the coach to give another player more. While I agree with all you said in your longer post, your complaints about title 9 are way off base. Even if the coach just split all his $ equally that means 28 women are going to school for half off, not including merit, financial aid or other monies. But that isn't how it works - he'll use more $ to entice the players he really wants and less for solid but not game changing players.
                  I respect your opinion, honestly. I also don't care what the composition is as I was answering someones question. I am very aware of what my daughter received, as I am also aware of the GPA she must maintain compared to other sports in order to keep those merit scholarships. Being grateful for that she qualified for what she did does not lessen my opinion as to the equity of they system compared to what other sports receive.

To restate my previous point, headcount sport athletes get free rides often at the minimum standards at most schools. Equivalency sport athletes have a much higher standard.

Comment

I respect your opinion, honestly. I also don't care what the composition is as I was answering someones question. I am very aware of what my daughter received, as I am also aware of the GPA she must maintain compared to other sports in order to keep those merit scholarships. Being grateful for that she qualified for what she did does not lessen my opinion as to the equity of they system compared to what other sports receive.

To restate my previous point, headcount sport athletes get free rides often at the minimum standards at most schools. Equivalency sport athletes have a much higher standard.
                    The NCAA makes those decisions and it is usually because the majority of schools can't afford more athletic aid and want to limit it. It is why you have the recent uprising of the big power six conferences. They control most of the money but when it comes to bylaws and proposals it is the smaller, less wealthy schools that have the voting majority.

Comment

"I respect your opinion, honestly." Damn, I was happy to read this! This is exactly what our Country is lacking right now - civil discourse. Especially on this web site. In a matter of a short couple of years we've managed to get rid of all civil discourse and reduce everything to tribalism and name-calling.

Thank you for taking a rational, level-headed approach to disagreeing - and not just name calling and race and religion baiting!

Comment

Great original post and discussion. This is exactly what I’ve seen as well. The kids that I am aware of that stay at their original school or even continue with the sport is less than 50%. Be careful what you wish for. Extremely important to pick the right school and if athletics is also a part, then great. If not, u can continue to play through club sports! You can have it all.

Comment

The NCAA makes those decisions and it is usually because the majority of schools can't afford more athletic aid and want to limit it. It is why you have the recent uprising of the big power six conferences. They control most of the money but when it comes to bylaws and proposals it is the smaller, less wealthy schools that have the voting majority.
                          You are correct. This circles back to Title 9 as it defines scholarships IMO. The majority of the Power 6 (thought it was 5 unless you're talking about the AAC, not sure) is made up of mostly Fed funded state schools. Even the private one receive some Fed funding. If scholarships are to be proportional to participation, then is should be across the board.

We are also talking about D1 schools in this particular debate where funding should not be as much an issue as with smaller schools in general.

Why not hold revenue sport athletes to the same academic standard as non revenue athletes? Can you imagine if UF held football players to the same academic standard as regular entries?

There estimates that more than 10% of D1 athletes read above an elementary school level. How much money would be feed up if more athletes could attain Bright Futures just in Florida alone?

Louisville's baseball team generates $26-$30 million in revenue for the school each year.

Each of Alabama's football athlete is worth almost $600,000 a year to the school.

Admittedly, I don't have the answer but I hope I have some good questions as it seems to me the money is there.

Comment

You are correct. This circles back to Title 9 as it defines scholarships IMO. The majority of the Power 6 (thought it was 5 unless you're talking about the AAC, not sure) is made up of mostly Fed funded state schools. Even the private one receive some Fed funding. If scholarships are to be proportional to participation, then is should be across the board.

We are also talking about D1 schools in this particular debate where funding should not be as much an issue as with smaller schools in general.

Why not hold revenue sport athletes to the same academic standard as non revenue athletes? Can you imagine if UF held football players to the same academic standard as regular entries?

There estimates that more than 10% of D1 athletes read above an elementary school level. How much money would be feed up if more athletes could attain Bright Futures just in Florida alone?

Louisville's baseball team generates $26-$30 million in revenue for the school each year.

Each of Alabama's football athlete is worth almost $600,000 a year to the school.

Admittedly, I don't have the answer but I hope I have some good questions as it seems to me the money is there.

Typo - There estimates that more than 10% of D1 athletes read BELOW an elementary school level.

Comment

In all these posts I see the same message over and over: save for college early, have your kid study their butts off, and if your child is not academically gifted help him/her chart a path to the many jobs which exist and pay well but don't require a four year degree. Save soccer for what it was meant - fun.

Comment

My oldest daughter was home this weekend along with two of her still close club teammates. My oldest is in her 3rd year playing D1 out of state at a great engineering school with middling competitive soccer program.

Out of the 18 girls from her club team, 12 committed which is not bad. A couple of the other girls could have played at some college somewhere but not at their college of choice so they are playing college club etc. They were recruited by various D1/D2 schools schools in and out of state. My daughter got into her school in large in part because it is an academically challenging school so that her major, grades and scores enabled her to qualify for some nice academic scholarships that offset a uninspiring athletic offer (Title 9 sucks).

Out of her 12 teammates who committed, 6 are still playing, 2 have transferred schools to play elsewhere with 1 is no longer in school at all. Of the 5 still in school but no longer playing a few of them transferred back to Florida schools to finish/change their degrees. This is pertinent because my oldest has also expressed a desire to forego playing her senior year because the rigor of engineering classes/internship and athletics have become too burdensome with her sights set on grad or perhaps med school "if" she qualifies. Though her coach asked her to take to the summer while at her internship to think it over, we have no idea which way she is leaning.

All her club teammates were/are great kids, good students with supporting if not crazy parents with a number of her teammates being superior athletes to my daughter. We pushed picking the school over the soccer program in case something like this happened (admittedly we were more concerned about injury than burn out).

I think in the end my daughter is very lucky because she is going earn her Chem Engineering degree whether she plays her sr. year or not. There were times we were worried and once drove 12 hrs straight to spend the weekend with her because she was stressed out and didn't want her coaches or teammates to know.

With our youngest heading up north to play softball, we are better prepared and better informed going through the recruitment process, again picking an academic program over an athletic program. While title 9 money sucks a 1500/4.3 will can get your kid a nice package to many good schools so if in the end; playing four years is not the cards, your kid will not have to uproot their life in college.

It is not a joke when you hear D1 athletics is a job, especially when playing far from home. Your kid will get into arguments with their coaches over classes. Sometimes its missing classes, sometimes it going to class instead of going to a therapy/rehab session. If your kid asks to miss a practice for more time to study for an upcoming test, they won't say no....but your kids may sit the bench for 80 mins next game too.

Overall I think my daughter will tell you it has been a great experience and I don't think our family would have done things much differently but be realistic in your goals while sitting on the sideline crabbing about the coach, playtime, refs.....whatever.
                                Thanks for the insight

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X