Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You're exactly the sucker they are selling to, good luck wasting your money.
Not sure what you're getting at. My daughter is currently on a NE NPL team. That league is dissolving and the team will play ECNL RL next year. We've just been told that instead of the team possibly playing a 4-team/2 game tournament in June that almost no college coaches attend, we will go to the ECNL Showcase in June where dozens of coaches from schools my D has interest in will be. And this is somehow not better? You'll have to explain that one to me.

And before you tell me that no coaches at the ECNL Showcase will come see the "4th Division", I'll mention that in past years, D's team has played at the PDA Showcase and plenty of coaches whom she invited came to watch her play.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

The ecnl showcases is on the west coast. Silly for the top tier northeast teams much less the lower tiers. Really wasteful use of resources.

Most northeast players are interested in eastern colleges. Seems more efficient to target the ID events of the schools that seem a good fit for your player. A dozen coaches watching are of no use when they are from schools that a kid won't be attending.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
The ecnl showcases is on the west coast. Silly for the top tier northeast teams much less the lower tiers. Really wasteful use of resources.

Most northeast players are interested in eastern colleges. Seems more efficient to target the ID events of the schools that seem a good fit for your player. A dozen coaches watching are of no use when they are from schools that a kid won't be attending.
Thanks for the advice, while we're at it-what club should my kid play for? Better yet, what college should she go to? Any ideas on what she should major in?
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, while we're at it-what club should my kid play for? Better yet, what college should she go to? Any ideas on what she should major in?
if she wants to go the west or elsewhere for college, have at it. Just saying most kids do not. That is just pesky facts and statistics. Nothing personal.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Read it a little closer, definitely not an improvement and in fact may even be worse. Instead of having their own dedicated tournament these teams are now relegated to the fourth tier of a different league's tournament. These teams will not get any more exposure in terms of coaches and may even get less. Wake up people.
But they can parade around the same grounds as the big girls, show off their sleeve patches, and spend lots of money that will be a huge plus for ECNL.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:

I can't speak for others, but my daughter is absolutely interested in colleges outside of the east coast. The biggest frustration for her is that very few of the west coast or southern colleges are attending northeast tournaments (let alone a league playoff). Also, many of the east coast coaches she has talked with make the trip to the west coast for ECNL Showcase.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
if she wants to go the west or elsewhere for college, have at it. Just saying most kids do not. That is just pesky facts and statistics. Nothing personal.
Can you share the statistics?
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
I can't speak for others, but my daughter is absolutely interested in colleges outside of the east coast. The biggest frustration for her is that very few of the west coast or southern colleges are attending northeast tournaments (let alone a league playoff). Also, many of the east coast coaches she has talked with make the trip to the west coast for ECNL Showcase.
I would not focus on the Northeast either if I were those colleges because statistically, they may not get many players.

East has dense concentration of good colleges and universities so less students leave the area then likely come to the area for college. That said - if she is out of here for college, the ECNL western showcases may be perfect for her.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Can you share the statistics?
Fifty eight percent of high school graduates attend college within 100 miles of their hometown, while 72 percent stay in-state, according to Niche Ink. Only 11 percent of students venture more than 500 miles from their hometown. The regional disparity in state size is worth noting: Vermont is 80 miles wide, while Texas is nearly 775 miles wide.

From Washington Post using 2014 data.

This is just from a quick look but if you google it you will see lots of info about the topic. It is not surprising information.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Fifty eight percent of high school graduates attend college within 100 miles of their hometown, while 72 percent stay in-state, according to Niche Ink. Only 11 percent of students venture more than 500 miles from their hometown. The regional disparity in state size is worth noting: Vermont is 80 miles wide, while Texas is nearly 775 miles wide.

From Washington Post using 2014 data.

This is just from a quick look but if you google it you will see lots of info about the topic. It is not surprising information.
And you're sure that these percentages apply to college soccer players? When I look at college soccer rosters, I see far more variety than this.