Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I am then there's something wrong with the majority I think. Why don't you want your children pushed?

I'd like to know if she can handle it and rise to the top. If she can't, please god, tell me now. She'll then find the right league for where she should be out and, likely, I'll save some cash.
Truth!! I feel the same way. Each kid u14 and above should know that they are competing for their spot each practice/game.

That's how you gauge how your kid can handle a little adversity and try to improve. The worst thing at those ages are the kids with guaranteed playing time and no motivation to improve.
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Truth!! I feel the same way. Each kid u14 and above should know that they are competing for their spot each practice/game.

That's how you gauge how your kid can handle a little adversity and try to improve. The worst thing at those ages are the kids with guaranteed playing time and no motivation to improve.
not the case in many places though. Politics guarantees spots. coaches don't really have ids competing for spots and if they miss practices no repercussions.
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
This is almost comical since I had kids that played both. From my observation, the GDA substitution rules are actually enforcing more play time. I've seen kids on the ECNL teams that:
- never start, or never even dress for a game
- play less than 5 minutes a 1/2
how about gda. play 5 minutes or not at all for games. and no development.
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
how about gda. play 5 minutes or not at all for games. and no development.
It can happen with both and will always varyby coach. But GDA rules makes subbing much more restrictive
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
It can happen with both and will always varyby coach. But GDA rules makes subbing much more restrictive
these debates descend into arguments over technicalities. Bottom line is poor players are not going to play much. Playing is unlikely to make them better. if your debating kids who do not have the ability to start for a GDA team, then you should be asking yourself why soccer at that level - ECNL or GDA ?

Thats the issue here. if you are willing to pay, someone will take your money
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
these debates descend into arguments over technicalities. Bottom line is poor players are not going to play much. Playing is unlikely to make them better. if your debating kids who do not have the ability to start for a GDA team, then you should be asking yourself why soccer at that level - ECNL or GDA ?

Thats the issue here. if you are willing to pay, someone will take your money
Same could be said of starters. So they start on a GDA or ECNL team. And? That means they belong playing soccer at that level? Ability is only the half of it. Lots of good players have zero business spending all that time and money to play "high level" youth soccer. It is as much about the travel and the money as about ability and desire and drive.
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Same could be said of starters. So they start on a GDA or ECNL team. And? That means they belong playing soccer at that level? Ability is only the half of it. Lots of good players have zero business spending all that time and money to play "high level" youth soccer. It is as much about the travel and the money as about ability and desire and drive.
The starters ARE the level. We can debate whether it should be higher
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

It is pay to play kid sports. If you accept the money, then you accept that level of play. Period.

If you want a higher level then don't take money from lower level players.
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
It is pay to play kid sports. If you accept the money, then you accept that level of play. Period.

If you want a higher level then don't take money from lower level players.
That works when there's an infinite supply of quality players. There isn't. Filling spots 15-22 are a necessity to a club's health
Old 05-07-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
That works when there's an infinite supply of quality players. There isn't. Filling spots 15-22 are a necessity to a club's health
So fill the spots, play the game and dont whine about the level of play. How was the level of play last year with last year's crop of players in any of these leagues at any of the age groups? Don't remember or care? Well neither does anybody else because that is not the point. These are businesses in the business of providing soccer lessons to children. The level of play is not important to running the business successfully. If it were, how would so many low level teams and clubs go on and on and on and on.