Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
She has a year to decide since she will only be in 8th grade next year as a 2005. I don't think she cares about playing HS soccer. I think it's us parents who care more about that. The club has already said they do allow players to drop off for HS and come back, but they limit the number. I took this as... if you are good enough they allow it!.

I am not going to comment on where she plays now and where she is going. That would not be fair to her current club. Our experience has been great but just felt like the DA programming as its being sold is what fits her best for this upcoming season.
My daughter is in the same boat - going into 8th grade, offers for both both ECNL and DA. But I think we are going to ECNL. She thinks she will get better, more rounded training with the ECNL team even though it's one day less a week. She likes the coaching style better of the other coach. I'm just trying to help her figure it out.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
My daughter is in the same boat - going into 8th grade, offers for both both ECNL and DA. But I think we are going to ECNL. She thinks she will get better, more rounded training with the ECNL team even though it's one day less a week. She likes the coaching style better of the other coach. I'm just trying to help her figure it out.
Everyone is free to choose their own path based on their own circumstances, so not saying anyone should or shouldn't do anything. But, what about her planned training will be "better and more rounded"?

Curiosity only.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Fit is important, same with linking coach and coaching style. You can line everything up on paper but your gut is an important thing to listen to as well
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Everyone is free to choose their own path based on their own circumstances, so not saying anyone should or shouldn't do anything. But, what about her planned training will be "better and more rounded"?

Curiosity only.
Sorry, not something I can post here that wouldn't give too much away. Especially not before we sign on the dotted line.
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, not something I can post here that wouldn't give too much away. Especially not before we sign on the dotted line.
Fair enough, I understand.

Either way, enjoy your journey!
Old 05-10-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Fit is important, same with linking coach and coaching style. You can line everything up on paper but your gut is an important thing to listen to as well
Go with a coach and team not a league unless you one of the 2 NY players that have to play gda or the ussf won't let you on a team. Except the them, do what you want.
Old 05-11-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
There is a lot of idle time for U15 and up for those not playing in HS. The U15 8th graders get screwed the most. I cant wait for a league to break from ussf and go back to school year age groups. Keep classmates with classmates, friends with friends. I am sure the colleges wont care.
Old 05-11-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
There is a lot of idle time for U15 and up for those not playing in HS. The U15 8th graders get screwed the most. I cant wait for a league to break from ussf and go back to school year age groups. Keep classmates with classmates, friends with friends. I am sure the colleges wont care.
Not only will colleges not care; colleges will rejoice to have grade based age groups. Colleges recruit by grade so it would align perfectly. Also, no one has to “break with USSF” to go grade based. Just go grade based but play up half a year in the older birth year just like before.
Old 05-11-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
They don't and by and large coaches are shopping by grade. Going back to school year makes it less complicated for them and certainly has other benefits. To change all of youth soccer to calendar year just for a few players that might compete internationally at some point is absurd. Leave it calendar year for DA if need be but change all the rest back.