Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered1001 View Post
Is this supposed to be an argument against playing HS soccer? Of course HS soccer doesn't contribute to much to a player's development, but it does some. Nor does that justify taking it away for thousands of players who want to play. Many top level players played in HS and continued to be top players in college. Some college players flame out, but playing HS isn't why that happened. It means they over-reached for their programs, they didn't keep working hard at their craft, or the coach judged poorly.
and no one has said take it away. Players should do what is best for them.ive read so many testimonials on the benefits of HS soccer and yet so many of the "stars" this area talked about go to College and really dont have the level of impact we were led to believe they would by all the hype.

i read the list posted above and with great respect, the only player who lived up to the hype on that list is Racioppi.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered99redbaloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered25 View Post
and no one has said take it away. Players should do what is best for them.ive read so many testimonials on the benefits of HS soccer and yet so many of the "stars" this area talked about go to College and really dont have the level of impact we were led to believe they would by all the hype.

i read the list posted above and with great respect, the only player who lived up to the hype on that list is Racioppi.
But if the argument is that most of the development comes from their clubs and their own hard work then where does the blame lie? It isn't because they play high school for three months. The NE isn't a soccer powerhouse like say the west coast. Weather? Poor quality clubs? Less of a soccer culture? Other reasons?
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered99redbaloons View Post
But if the argument is that most of the development comes from their clubs and their own hard work then where does the blame lie? It isn't because they play high school for three months. The NE isn't a soccer powerhouse like say the west coast. Weather? Poor quality clubs? Less of a soccer culture? Other reasons?
not sure. i think the whole system is complacent.

-Clubs get paid no matter what as long as they fill slots
-People celebrate commits period. They dont look any deeper
- Very few "hungry" kids in the system based on the way its designed.

I agree with you. Many factors, but 3 months of HS is not one of them.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered99redbaloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered2000 View Post
not sure. i think the whole system is complacent.

-Clubs get paid no matter what as long as they fill slots
-People celebrate commits period. They dont look any deeper
- Very few "hungry" kids in the system based on the way its designed.

I agree with you. Many factors, but 3 months of HS is not one of them.
op here and yes college is the goal, not professional soccer, hence the lack of an appetite. Maybe that's ok. Most players won't go pro anyway, because of lack interest and/or lack of skill. But we should have a separate, much smaller system for those that do.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregisteredforlife

HS ball is there to keep the kids from losing their love of the game. Club ball is often destructive to the kids will to play.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered99redbaloons View Post
op here and yes college is the goal, not professional soccer, hence the lack of an appetite. Maybe that's ok. Most players won't go pro anyway, because of lack interest and/or lack of skill. But we should have a separate, much smaller system for those that do.
College is not the goal. The RIGHT College is. Thats my point. Committing is not the end, it should be the beginning. As far as going pro, I am a firm believer in talent, hard work and love of the game. If going to the right school leads to all of those things combining to create a pro opportunity, Fine.

I dont think you have to identify as a pro and start mapping that out from 12 years old.We would all benefit from a system that streamed kids on the basis of talent alone.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered1234 View Post
College is not the goal. The RIGHT College is. Thats my point. Committing is not the end, it should be the beginning. As far as going pro, I am a firm believer in talent, hard work and love of the game. If going to the right school leads to all of those things combining to create a pro opportunity, Fine.

I dont think you have to identify as a pro and start mapping that out from 12 years old.We would all benefit from a system that streamed kids on the basis of talent alone.
College is the last place you want to go if you want to go pro. It's high school on steroids. There's a reason Pullisic, Pugh and others skipped college. Especially if you're male, either go aboard as soon as you can or at least get picked up by an MLS team. Real ballers get picked up by clubs abroad by age 16. Seattle just signed a 15 year old.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered666 View Post
College is the last place you want to go if you want to go pro. It's high school on steroids. There's a reason Pullisic, Pugh and others skipped college. Especially if you're male, either go aboard as soon as you can or at least get picked up by an MLS team. Real ballers get picked up by clubs abroad by age 16. Seattle just signed a 15 year old.
Not true. It depends where you go. You cant mix boys and girls. Its not the same thing. Pugh has not developed at all in the pros. She does the same thing she did in HS. FSU,Duke,UCLA,Satnford,UVA are all developers who play great soccer.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
are you kidding? thats hardly any. Of your list there are maybe 2 big time Colleges. Has U COnn won 5 games over the last 2 years !! Brown ? no. Miami...No.
OMG these are all excellent schools, great programs with many Bachelors and advanced degrees offered on so many levels. Please stop putting down these girls (who I dont even know) about their choices , and who cares what impact they had or dont have on those teams. Bottom line is they got a great education and played a game they loved until they were 21. Then LIFE MOVES ON> get over it, I am h appy for these girls.
Old 04-24-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregisteredforlife View Post
HS ball is there to keep the kids from losing their love of the game. Club ball is often destructive to the kids will to play.
WOW, i couldn't have said this any better. You are so right. My kids loved/and loving HS soccer, yet as they got older (10th to 12th grade) they disliked club soccer more and more. leading to celebrating when club ended after grade 12 (one played in college one may or may not?). Only reason they did it was to keep in shape for HS season. All of the coaches drama, team changes, taking more and more players one, going to "showcases" adn getting 10-15 min per half, traveling the east coast (did it with one, not with the other) and paying through the nose for what? for what? I just wish it didn't get so complicated in club, I think thats why they enjoyed school so much more. Just my experience. I know some of you really LOVE your club experience, well good for you! it just wasn't good for us.