Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    True, you have to take the players that come to tryouts. You can't magically make up players that don't want to come.
    That makes it hard. With the ban on high school soccer that makes it a tough situation that I am not sure how to fix.

Comment

Who do you think gets to pick the roster? Maybe someone who works for US Soccer? Isn't US soccer the main driver behind the girl's DA?

Look at the results of the last U17 World Cup. The group dominated these small tournaments as well then when they got to the World Cup they could not get out of group play.

Sort of silly to say the products of DA is raising the bar. Take a look at historical results.

Great point when the US Club ecnl was the showcase and cattle call vehicle (no Da) we were losing to concacaf minnows with these low soccer IQ girls.

Glad things ate Trending better these days thanks for sharing the UEFA nat team results.

Comment

I realize that bench and some lower level players have made the Thorns academy teams but they can only take who tries out. The academy has actually turned a few of those bench players into full time starters and they are developing as players much more than they would have at their home clubs. This is actually a testament to the Thorns and should be applauded for it. They also have many who almost never play and shouldn’t be applauded for that. Thorns should also be applauded for partially subsidizing the soccer, making it a little cheaper than ecnl. Even if they get the money from OYSA players via peregrine, they don’t have to do it and it is nice they do.

No league is perfect. Pros and cons to all.
        Make the best of your situation. That is all there is to say.

Comment

I realize that bench and some lower level players have made the Thorns academy teams but they can only take who tries out. The academy has actually turned a few of those bench players into full time starters and they are developing as players much more than they would have at their home clubs. This is actually a testament to the Thorns and should be applauded for it. They also have many who almost never play and shouldn’t be applauded for that. Thorns should also be applauded for partially subsidizing the soccer, making it a little cheaper than ecnl. Even if they get the money from OYSA players via peregrine, they don’t have to do it and it is nice they do.

No league is perfect. Pros and cons to all.
          I personally like the B teamers and bench players because the parent gripe less than other parents. Anyone else notice that?

Comment

Is it appropriate to use OYSA player fees to pay Diego Valeri's salary?

Is it appropriate to use them to build the Prov Park expansion?

Is it appropriate to use them to by kegs of beer for game day?

Is it appropriate to use it for Merritt Paulson's vacation to Paris?

If Peregrine has earned money legitimately, they may spend it how they like. The notion that because Peregrine has earned a small portion of its revenue providing services to OYSA, that they then have a moral obligation to not run a girls' academy for their professional women's team because two obnoxious local clubs view this endeavor as "competition" to their own travel offerings, is asinine.

Now if CU and FC and UPDX and whoever else, wish to participate in non-OYSA leagues in order to minimize the revenues that goes to Peregrine (even though this is an entirely symbolic act--the Timbers and Thorns don't miss that money, and are still getting paid plenty for all of the B and C teams at Crossfire, THUSC, and FC for whom there is no US Club travel league)--that's their business.

But Peregrine's money is Peregrine's money. MP doesn't need the permission of KL or any other local DoC to spend his money as he likes. When the OYSA contract is up, it probably should be re-negotiated. But again--it was these clubs (and a few others) PRIOR attempt to cripple OYSA that forced them to deal with the Timbers in the first place. Y'all wet the bed on this one, so don't complain about sleeping in the puddle.
            Could you please show me the books so we can determine what services Peregrine Sports has provided to the local clubs and members and what they charged for said services? I think we'd all be really interested to see that. Otherwise, they are not free to spend that money however they wish.

Comment

Could you please show me the books so we can determine what services Peregrine Sports has provided to the local clubs and members and what they charged for said services? I think we'd all be really interested to see that. Otherwise, they are not free to spend that money however they wish.
              Well, I don't work for Peregrine, so cannot show you the books.

But OYSA and them have a contract, in which OYSA pays Peregrine money, and Peregrine administers the OYSA leagues and cups. And AFAIK Peregrine is providing the services specified, and OYSA is paying the fees specified, so the bargain is being upheld. If you know otherwise, I'd suggest speaking to an attorney.

Unless the contract contains language barring Peregrine from running youth academies, and I'm fairly certain no such language is there otherwise CU and FC would have lawyered up already, Peregrine is free to spend the proceeds from this deal as they see fit. OYSA, neither as an organization nor any of its individual members, get to dictate to Peregrine how they spend their money.

And--as pointed out, money is fungible. Someone objects to "OYSA money" paying for Thorns Academy, on the grounds that it competes with local clubs' ECNL offerings? Fine--OYSA money will be used to pay the Widmer Brothers for all the beer they deliver to the stadium, and revenues from cotton candy sales will be used to pay Academy expenses. See how easy that is?

The ECNL honks are funny--they love to boast about how much better their own product is, and note that Thorns is not a compelling product for college-bound girls (no high school soccer and too much time in practice), but they still seem eager to kill off the only professional girls' academy in town. Obviously, they are feeling SOME heat from the Thorns, or there's SOME players they'd like to get their hands on--otherwise, why would they care? Because they've been instructed by the ECNL/US Club mothership to piss on the GDA at every opportunity?

I might take these crocodile tears seriously if some of the clubs involved weren't acting in such obviously bad faith.

Comment

I call baloney.

Fungible is a word used on here by a Timber kids soccer staffer.

Nobody that doesn't work for them would spend more than 3 seconds typing up a defense of the arrangement. Much less use the word fungible.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

That makes it hard. With the ban on high school soccer that makes it a tough situation that I am not sure how to fix.
                  Suppose at some point they will change. Give it 2-3 years.

Comment

But OYSA and them have a contract, in which OYSA pays Peregrine money, and Peregrine administers the OYSA leagues and cups. And AFAIK Peregrine is providing the services specified, and OYSA is paying the fees specified, so the bargain is being upheld. If you know otherwise, I'd suggest speaking to an attorney.

Unless the contract contains language barring Peregrine from running youth academies, and I'm fairly certain no such language is there otherwise CU and FC would have lawyered up already, Peregrine is free to spend the proceeds from this deal as they see fit. OYSA, neither as an organization nor any of its individual members, get to dictate to Peregrine how they spend their money.

And--as pointed out, money is fungible. Someone objects to "OYSA money" paying for Thorns Academy, on the grounds that it competes with local clubs' ECNL offerings? Fine--OYSA money will be used to pay the Widmer Brothers for all the beer they deliver to the stadium, and revenues from cotton candy sales will be used to pay Academy expenses. See how easy that is?

The ECNL honks are funny--they love to boast about how much better their own product is, and note that Thorns is not a compelling product for college-bound girls (no high school soccer and too much time in practice), but they still seem eager to kill off the only professional girls' academy in town. Obviously, they are feeling SOME heat from the Thorns, or there's SOME players they'd like to get their hands on--otherwise, why would they care? Because they've been instructed by the ECNL/US Club mothership to piss on the GDA at every opportunity?

I might take these crocodile tears seriously if some of the clubs involved weren't acting in such obviously bad faith.
                    And have you seen said contract, because it kind of sounds like not and you are just making things up. Or are you just going on the "as far as I know" theory .... which judging by this message is, well, not very much.

Comment

And have you seen said contract, because it kind of sounds like not and you are just making things up. Or are you just going on the "as far as I know" theory .... which judging by this message is, well, not very much.
                      Sadly, no I have not read it.

Comment

Professional Girls Academy?

Comment

The OPL is a sad chapter in the History of Oregon Youth Soccer, it set a state back by decades.
                          A little overly dramatic?

OPL was great. Only reason why it broke up was because Timbers wanted to make some more money and OPL did not want to pay the Timber's Tax.

Comment

Great point when the US Club ecnl was the showcase and cattle call vehicle (no Da) we were losing to concacaf minnows with these low soccer IQ girls.

Glad things ate Trending better these days thanks for sharing the UEFA nat team results.
                            Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.
                              You must be the same clown that believes the OPL is being honored by useless travel for local girls at garbage clubs. Makes sense.

Comment

Suppose at some point they will change. Give it 2-3 years.
                                No high school rule won’t change unless none of the top girls in hotbed areas like southern CA and Texas sign up for gda. US Soccer doesn’t care that the girls in OR aren’t going gda because they’re not interested in any Oregon girls. Until enough girls in the big soccer markets boycott gda, the no HS ban is here to stay.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X