Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can afford and have to afford are two different things. Unless you have a super bright and motivated kid it doesn’t really matter where you send them to college because they are not really going to push the envelope and test the upper limits of what a top flight educational institution has to offer. For 99.99% of the kids it really comes down to fit and how hard they apply themselves and for most of them 99.99% of the schools are almost interchangeable. Only true snobs think an underachieving B/B+ student is really going to standout against a super bright and motivated one simply on the basis of the name on the top of the diploma. As with soccer playing ability, you can’t fake actual intelligence and motivation all the way through life. When you get right down to it, it doesn’t actually matter if the spike is for soccer or academics anyways because the colleges end up paying the best and brightest to come to their institutions. From most parents perspectives the bottom line is how much they end spending to give there kid an opportunity in life. What the kid does with it is on them.
    That focus on opportunity means that the typical suburban, academically focused family won't send their kids to some D1 programs. If Lamar or Akron are a great academic fit for your 22 ACT score kid then that's fantastic for them. But face it most soccer parents are academic snobs even if their kids aren't very bright. They'll go for a bigger name school all day long.

Comment

You do realize that only 1 team wins the National Championship and that getting drafted by the US Women's soccer league earns you less than a $15K paycheck so ...

Education or perceived education is clearly the main selling point for parents.
      Add in
      * great competition in the ACC
      * fun city of Boston
      * perception that BC is a top 20 team
      * scholarship money

but in reality
      * BC is not anything special academically (all Ivies, BU, Northeastern, Holy Cross are better or equivalent IMO)
      * bottom feeder in the ACC (in most sports along with soccer)
      * not that close to the city but fun nevertheless
      * lucky to be top 50
      * scholarship amounts may vary but paying full cost of $65K is out of the reach of many
      Your post is beyond stupid. Soccer is what is creating the opportunity. as such most of these kids are there because of it. They are also mostly driven kids who want to play at the best level they can for the next four years AS WELL AS getting their academics done.

Does not mean they want to be pros, but if you think the level of soccer they aspire to in College has nothing to do with the College choice you ares kidding yourself.

Comment

Your post is beyond stupid. Soccer is what is creating the opportunity. as such most of these kids are there because of it. They are also mostly driven kids who want to play at the best level they can for the next four years AS WELL AS getting their academics done.

Does not mean they want to be pros, but if you think the level of soccer they aspire to in College has nothing to do with the College choice you ares kidding yourself.
        Actually you are the idiot. You obviously influence your kid telling them to play at the highest level possible. Good for you but my experience is that most kids have no idea of the difference between the ACC and the Patriot League. Unless she's a stud, she'll end up sitting the bench at a Penn St. type school while she could have had a nice career at a Holy Cross type school. If she can truly play for a Penn St then she made the right call but maybe she should have gone to Duke or Stanford to get even a better education.

I don't think the kids today have any idea of the relative levels of soccer available in college and the commitment that it takes to make a significant contribution and I'm sure you think you know everything but you seem pretty clueless. Get help for your child to make the best decision around proper level of fit schools by talking to a few coaches. And get yourself a psychologist.

Comment

Actually you are the idiot. You obviously influence your kid telling them to play at the highest level possible. Good for you but my experience is that most kids have no idea of the difference between the ACC and the Patriot League. Unless she's a stud, she'll end up sitting the bench at a Penn St. type school while she could have had a nice career at a Holy Cross type school. If she can truly play for a Penn St then she made the right call but maybe she should have gone to Duke or Stanford to get even a better education.

I don't think the kids today have any idea of the relative levels of soccer available in college and the commitment that it takes to make a significant contribution and I'm sure you think you know everything but you seem pretty clueless. Get help for your child to make the best decision around proper level of fit schools by talking to a few coaches. And get yourself a psychologist.
          What a complete and utter idiot you are if you honestly think kids in club soccer don't know the difference between playing in the ACC and playing in the Patriot League. Following your logic it would also be safe to assume that kids wouldn't know the difference between going to Harvard and going to UMass. How long has it been since you've had kids involved in any of this? Centuries?? You know nothing and are just blowing diarrhea out your arse.

Comment

That focus on opportunity means that the typical suburban, academically focused family won't send their kids to some D1 programs. If Lamar or Akron are a great academic fit for your 22 ACT score kid then that's fantastic for them. But face it most soccer parents are academic snobs even if their kids aren't very bright. They'll go for a bigger name school all day long.
            You'll apparently advise others to piss away what is now tens of thousands of dollars on club soccer without consideration of the effort/rewards involved and then propose that they switch the target from soccer to academics down the stretch because that apparently is supposed to be everyone's over arching goal? Why bother with soccer at all, why not just throw all of that time and resources directly into the pursuit of academics? What you are espousing is both frivolous and ego driven.

Comment

I am no BC fan, and I think they could use a change in leadership for both the men's and the women's soccer programs, but if your kid is going to work in Boston, they will be part of a big alumni network, and that is meaningful. I am just adding that to the mix.

Comment

You'll apparently advise others to piss away what is now tens of thousands of dollars on club soccer without consideration of the effort/rewards involved and then propose that they switch the target from soccer to academics down the stretch because that apparently is supposed to be everyone's over arching goal? Why bother with soccer at all, why not just throw all of that time and resources directly into the pursuit of academics? What you are espousing is both frivolous and ego driven.
                Here we go with the "your kid may as well have played rec soccer" death spiral discussion

Comment

Here we go with the "your kid may as well have played rec soccer" death spiral discussion
                  Like that is any different than "your kid should put education before soccer" death spiral discussion?

Comment

99.99% of soccer families only put academics before soccer once they realize that there is no scholarship coming. What you have been reading is nothing face saving.

Comment

99.99% of soccer families only put academics before soccer once they realize that there is no scholarship coming. What you have been reading is nothing face saving.
                      I dont think its necessary to explicitly do either. Most kids start to play the game and whatever momentum takes them to a league where they get some exposure is what it is. At that point many factors determine how good they can be.

At that point, you can define the universe of schools that are in your compass.

If a kid really puts academics before soccer then why devote so much time to soccer ?

Soccer can open doors for kids with real ability. the issues and debates tend to revolve around parents for whom the game is not opening the doors they want. at that point they say - put academics first.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        I dont think its necessary to explicitly do either. Most kids start to play the game and whatever momentum takes them to a league where they get some exposure is what it is. At that point many factors determine how good they can be.

If a kid really puts academics before soccer then why devote so much time to soccer ?

Soccer can open doors for kids with real ability. the issues and debates tend to revolve around parents for whom the game is not opening the doors they want. at that point they say - put academics first.
                        I disagree. I think most families hope that soccer will help their kid get into a better school with more opportunities whatever that means for them. The perfect example is local goaltender with prolific TS dad. She may not have gotten into Duke without soccer, but she is there now. Great decision in my view.

Comment

I disagree. I think most families hope that soccer will help their kid get into a better school with more opportunities whatever that means for them. The perfect example is local goaltender with prolific TS dad. She may not have gotten into Duke without soccer, but she is there now. Great decision in my view.
                          That is the hope of most families. However, not all will have the talent to have "better" doors opened to them. I also think in the Northeast/east coast with so many great schools, student athletes have more options in front of them that won't require plane rides (most kids will go within a half day's drive from home). Many areas of the country don't have many D3 schools or top D1 academic schools with the cache of some here.

Comment

As was noted, those are the so called face savers. Especially when they start saying that they were never in it for a scholarship.

Comment

Love when people assume facts that they have no first hand knowledge about. How does anyone know what options a kid from another family have? How many here have seen another kid's report cards or their SAT report to be able to judge what sort of school they could get into or where they should go?

Comment

what are you disagreeing with ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X