X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Personally, I think USSF was on the right track with the residency program
    Before they scuttled it. Bring it back. Expand it. Scout the hell out of the country and bring kids into it as they show promise.

We have the money.
    Some mls academies are starting residency programs. It makes a ton of sense. There definitely should be multiples solids aren't too far from home. But they also need to vastly improve talent identification (bring back ODP), improve coaching and so much more. It's not about resources but who is leading the organization. Other countries do so much more with far less.

Comment

Some mls academies are starting residency programs. It makes a ton of sense. There definitely should be multiples solids aren't too far from home. But they also need to vastly improve talent identification (bring back ODP), improve coaching and so much more. It's not about resources but who is leading the organization. Other countries do so much more with far less.
      Even if they do everything 100% right, there are limits to how much a structured program can do. You need kids playing on the streets and learning moves on the streets to really have a generation of special creative players. if you have seen the "Volta" street football game play mode in Fifa, you know kids love it and you don't need much $$ to turn basketball or tennis courts near transit into street football venues.

Comment

Player Pool is Large - Coaching Pool is Small

Kids that love the game they play on the time is what is needed. Then you need coaches willing to teach kids how to play as a team. It's pretty simple really.

But most clubs only have one or two coaches are are really good at teaching the game and they only coach the club's best team. So if your kid is born in the wrong year just forget ever getting your team coached up.

I've got one boy who loves to play all the time. Individually he is super good now for any age to be honest. He is good cause he loves to play, loves to train. You don't need a coach for that. But his team is average at best. And the coaching is average as well. He'll end up dying on the vine I can see that already. After playing organized soccer for like four years now the wingers on his team still do not get wide. Its just a shame watching the implosion every time they play a quality team.

His team has below average soccer IQ. Too much dribbling, half backs shooting from midfield, through balls that are hit 30 yards out of reach, etc... My point is that most likely he'll never get noticed. He might never have the required speed either.

But multiply his situation by thousands. And you end up with hundreds of kids who could be good enough to be pro dying on that vine.

The coaching at the youth level needs to improve. That is the biggest issue I see. And also we need local leagues with quality coaching. Travel soccer is not the way to go. DA is a great idea but it only serves those in the big city and you have to be at the right place at the right time to get that kind of training.

The MLS academy's are doing a good job from what I can see. Its just they can only train a very very small fraction player pool.

Comment

I don't think last nights game has any reflection upon development programs. I mean Pullisic and several others have been pro for a long time now. Skipping college, etc... The reality is that they are selfish and they all want to be the superstar. They aren't combining with each other. And for whatever reason even make good touches at the moment seems to be too difficult for some of them. Frustrating to watch.

Comment

Even if they do everything 100% right, there are limits to how much a structured program can do. You need kids playing on the streets and learning moves on the streets to really have a generation of special creative players. if you have seen the "Volta" street football game play mode in Fifa, you know kids love it and you don't need much $$ to turn basketball or tennis courts near transit into street football venues.
            Even if they do everything status quo as they are now, we shouldn't be out played and out tacticed by freaking Canada.

Comment

Even if they do everything status quo as they are now, we shouldn't be out played and out tacticed by freaking Canada.
              Coaching and talent selection matter.

Comment

Coaching and talent selection matter.
                The next match in Orlando will be rigged. The US is funneling money to Canada as we speak!

Comment

Sh1tty sales job.

I’m certain there are some excellent coaches in ECNL. Some are surely better than the local DA counterpart. Just like I’m sure there are some terrible coaches in ECNL than can’t carry the local DA coaches ball bag. You absolutely can’t make a blanket statement that there is better coaching in ECNL across the board or even on average.
                  There are good and bad on both sides of ECNL and DA, experienced both sides, and there are some okay coaches in the DA side, stronger personally on the west side of the country, as well as ECNL.

But in the end they are both selling things not just one. If you make it and top 2 in a team better success, but if your 3+ in the team, your a number period. Coaches like to see consistency and can manage in games and sessions.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X