Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No offense but that's too long for a kid to have one coach.

Really need to switch it up every 2-3 years.
    That makes 0 sense....You have players playing for academy like David Beckham for 18 years that’s made it to the first-team. Yeah, sure it wasn’t the same person, but they still coach from the same book. The coaches teach the same thing.

Parents are crazy, I never understood if you’ve never played the game, let alone have been interested in the game until you became a parent. Why the hell would you want to coach it?

Comment

That makes 0 sense....You have players playing for academy like David Beckham for 18 years that’s made it to the first-team. Yeah, sure it wasn’t the same person, but they still coach from the same book. The coaches teach the same thing.

Parents are crazy, I never understood if you’ve never played the game, let alone have been interested in the game until you became a parent. Why the hell would you want to coach it?
      Thank you for elegantly proving my point:

"Yeah, sure it wasn’t the same person"

What's funny is every COACH we've ever had says that, not the parent. Yes, club philosophy follows but the styles and personalities differ.

Why isn't your 1st grade teacher your HS teacher?

Comment

Speed and Agility

Thank you for elegantly proving my point:

"Yeah, sure it wasn’t the same person"

What's funny is every COACH we've ever had says that, not the parent. Yes, club philosophy follows but the styles and personalities differ.

Why isn't your 1st grade teacher your HS teacher?

uh, because the teachers union says you can only teach one grade per year....i know many teachers that have changed teaching different grades. please make better analogies and stop making me crazy.

Comment

uh, because the teachers union says you can only teach one grade per year....i know many teachers that have changed teaching different grades. please make better analogies and stop making me crazy.
          OK, how about this:

"We feel after two years, it's always beneficial for players to get a new message, a new tone. Players who may be stuck, will see a new freedom by a change of personality. Not every personality meshes with everyone, so a message change is vital for a players development"

-Every soccer coach we'eve ever had

Really, I am floored this is a talking point. Pretty standard on all clubs that aren't mom & pops.

Oooohhh...I got it now... ;-)

Comment

OK, how about this:

"We feel after two years, it's always beneficial for players to get a new message, a new tone. Players who may be stuck, will see a new freedom by a change of personality. Not every personality meshes with everyone, so a message change is vital for a players development"

Really, I am floored this is a talking point. Pretty standard on all clubs that aren't mom & pops.

And, a very hands on board member. Smells like a micromanaging control freak.

Comment

No offense but that's too long for a kid to have one coach.

Really need to switch it up every 2-3 years.
              I agree. That is probably more of the reason the kid didn't develop than he lost all of his physical advantage over his peers by end of puberty.

Comment

Yes, I coached one child from U5 through U17, another from U5 to U16 and am currently coaching my third child who is now U14. And I've been a very hands on board member in my club for around a decade now.

I've seen lots of kids grow up not only on my own kids teams but also the other teams in club and for that matter our competition.

The U9 wonderkids that everyone ooh'd and aah'd about and kept their eyes on, for the most part were just regular players when they reached their teenage years, if they even still played soccer at that point. I'd even go as far as saying that many of these kids ended up being undersized and at a physical disadvantage as they got older, having had their growth spurts when they were young.
                So if they don't even play anymore are you confusing kids who work harder to develop over kids who let their natural ability waste because they don't love the game? This is different than a stud at 9 who loves the game and works very hard to develop losing all physical ability and being one of the worst players on the team by say 15 over a stud at 9 who only relied on his speed and never learned how to dribble, pass, or develop their soccer IQ.

Sorry but I am not buying what you are selling.

Comment

So if they don't even play anymore are you confusing kids who work harder to develop over kids who let their natural ability waste because they don't love the game? This is different than a stud at 9 who loves the game and works very hard to develop losing all physical ability and being one of the worst players on the team by say 15 over a stud at 9 who only relied on his speed and never learned how to dribble, pass, or develop their soccer IQ.

Sorry but I am not buying what you are selling.
                  I'm not talking about foot skills. I'm talking about the kid who just physically could outrun and overpower everyone as a kid and got all the accolades but in his/her mid-teens could no longer outrun and overpower everyone because everyone else finally got bigger and stronger.

Comment

I'm not talking about foot skills. I'm talking about the kid who just physically could outrun and overpower everyone as a kid and got all the accolades but in his/her mid-teens could no longer outrun and overpower everyone because everyone else finally got bigger and stronger.
                    This happens ALL THE TIME. Also the kids who don't rely on athleticism or size are busy honing their soccer skills. That's why parents who get all excited about U11 wins need to chillax. Add in puberty and waning interest for some players and it's all changed after middle school

Comment

Your not making any sense. Are they playing soccer or not? If a kid relies on his speed and doesn't develop any other soccer skills than yes I expect him to get beat as his peers develop soccer skills. But if a kid has a strong physical ability, better than his peers, and works hard to improve his soccer skills than he isn't going to get destroyed once puberty sets in.

You need to compare apples to apples. The physically dominant kid at u9 that loves soccer and practices all the time on his own to get better with the non-athletic kid that does the same.

Comment

This happens ALL THE TIME. Also the kids who don't rely on athleticism or size are busy honing their soccer skills. That's why parents who get all excited about U11 wins need to chillax. Add in puberty and waning interest for some players and it's all changed after middle school
                        Agreed but this happens to non-athletic kids too. It is not a matter of a kid being physically dominant at 9 it is a matter if the kid loves the sport and works hard to develop his skills. You can't just say kids who are physically dominant at u9 suck as teenagers after puberty. That is not true. Kids that only rely on their athletic ability and don't practice suck at soccer as a teenager. Now that can be true.

Comment

Agreed but this happens to non-athletic kids too. It is not a matter of a kid being physically dominant at 9 it is a matter if the kid loves the sport and works hard to develop his skills. You can't just say kids who are physically dominant at u9 suck as teenagers after puberty. That is not true. Kids that only rely on their athletic ability and don't practice suck at soccer as a teenager. Now that can be true.
                          True that. And in middle school you'll typically see young teens start to either take it more seriously or not. Some will decide they prefer another sport more and some even stop playing sports altogether. To make through the funnel by high school and then the even smaller funnel for college it takes mental fortitude, not just skills and athleticism

Comment

Your not making any sense. Are they playing soccer or not? If a kid relies on his speed and doesn't develop any other soccer skills than yes I expect him to get beat as his peers develop soccer skills. But if a kid has a strong physical ability, better than his peers, and works hard to improve his soccer skills than he isn't going to get destroyed once puberty sets in.

You need to compare apples to apples. The physically dominant kid at u9 that loves soccer and practices all the time on his own to get better with the non-athletic kid that does the same.
                            You are missing the point and putting in words there I didn't say.

I never said that these kids now suck. I never said anything about their soccer skills. My point was only that numerous kids who dominate through speed, strength and agility at the younger ages are almost always caught up by others in terms of speed, strength and agility when they hit their teen years. I was not talking about their skill development and other areas. My only point was that too many people make too much of the kid at U-little who just happened to grow into his body quicker than his/her peers.

Comment

OK, how about this:

So are you saying your wouldn’t want Sir Alex Ferguson or Vicente Del Bosque teaching your kid soccer from age 5-18?

Comment

If you’re interested, I have a couple of training programs in mind to help with speed. You can always work on speed. It’s not all genetics, these programs actually work.
                                I was away a few days, OP here.. would like to know programs... thanks

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X