Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I actually think some of the smaller players will benefit on the big field. Usually they are very speedy (at least on our team they are) but they can get crowded easily by the bigger players on the small field. The big field will give them more room to run and pass before the big players catch up to them.
    Big doesn’t necessarily mean slow. Fastest girl on our team (not mine) also happens to be the tallest.

Comment

I also have a multi sport kid and although soccer is a clear cut favorite for her, the other sport is also pretty important to her and she won't give it up (at least not now, and as her parent, I hope she never does, although that will be up to her). I agree that it makes ECNL or GDA nearly impossible to consider. We're sticking with NPL, even though we hear it's a bad move. Wondering if NPL has more multi-sport athletes?
      My daughter plays ECNL and plays basketball in the winter. If there is a conflict, soccer wins out. There are a handful of kids on her team who play other sports.

Comment

My daughter plays ECNL and plays basketball in the winter. If there is a conflict, soccer wins out. There are a handful of kids on her team who play other sports.
        We also do soccer and basketball. During outdoor season, soccer takes priority. During winter, basketball does. Isn't fair to her coaches or teammates to prioritize soccer during basketball season.

Comment

That doesn't work for HS sports. Very few HS coaches wont' put up with missed practices or games. That's where continuing with club and HS sports gets very difficult, not to mention exhausting. Winter might be doable because club soccer is generally pretty quiet. Doing LAX or track in the spring not so much. Plus homework, some degree of a social life, sleep...

Comment

Our daughter quit playing other sports when she started with overuse injuries. No sense playing basketball and lax if she isn’t serious about those sports. It just puts unnecessary wear and tear on the body. Think of it like a car and mileage.

Comment

Our daughter quit playing other sports when she started with overuse injuries. No sense playing basketball and lax if she isn’t serious about those sports. It just puts unnecessary wear and tear on the body. Think of it like a car and mileage.
              Untrue, injuries are more likely with single sport athletes.

Comment

Untrue, injuries are more likely with single sport athletes.
                Says who? The “experts”? It’s been proven that OVERUSE injuries are caused OVERUSE. Pretty self explanatory. Shocker, I know. The only ones who don’t want you to believe that are the ones you are writing your checks to.

Comment

Says who? The “experts”? It’s been proven that OVERUSE injuries are caused OVERUSE. Pretty self explanatory. Shocker, I know. The only ones who don’t want you to believe that are the ones you are writing your checks to.
                  So if you do some different activities over the course of the year or even the week, doesn't it make sense why the same amount of total activity would lead to less overuse of particular parts of the body?

Comment

So if you do some different activities over the course of the year or even the week, doesn't it make sense why the same amount of total activity would lead to less overuse of particular parts of the body?
                    Overuse-a distinctly American youth athlete dilemma
                    Is that like studying too hard and your brain hurts?
                    What a load of crybabies

Comment

Huh? It takes a 3 second Google search to find hundreds of scholarly articles on the effects of overuse injuries in European soccer leagues. But keep fooling yourself that this is some kind of embellished American phenomenon, and keep pushing your little 11 year old stah to make you proud. Daddy needs something to brag about, right?

Comment

Huh? It takes a 3 second Google search to find hundreds of scholarly articles on the effects of overuse injuries in European soccer leagues. But keep fooling yourself that this is some kind of embellished American phenomenon, and keep pushing your little 11 year old stah to make you proud. Daddy needs something to brag about, right?
                        Scholarly articles on Huffington Post and the Onion. "Overuse" is the biggest copout term my doctors to see, we dont know or to explain fatigue. How is overuse quantitatively determined? What test proves it? Blood test, urine test, x-ray, MRI .... ? If you play lots of sports, you get banged up or hurt; period. The more you play, the more likely you are to get fatigued or injured from time to time. When it starts to happen regularly, cut back on something or quit altogether.

Comment

Scholarly articles on Huffington Post and the Onion. "Overuse" is the biggest copout term my doctors to see, we dont know or to explain fatigue. How is overuse quantitatively determined? What test proves it? Blood test, urine test, x-ray, MRI .... ? If you play lots of sports, you get banged up or hurt; period. The more you play, the more likely you are to get fatigued or injured from time to time. When it starts to happen regularly, cut back on something or quit altogether.
                          Lol.... okay. Can't have an intelligent debate with someone not willing to educate themselves or understand the issue. Denial to suit your situation is definitely better. You are right!

Comment

The overuse injuries are related to over using the same parts of your body doing just the one sport. In theory the athlete would be doing the same amount of training in multiple sports, using different muscles, tendons , etc.

Also better for mental stress relief.

Comment

The overuse injuries are related to over using the same parts of your body doing just the one sport. In theory the athlete would be doing the same amount of training in multiple sports, using different muscles, tendons , etc.

Also better for mental stress relief.
                              Basketball is not a good sport to relieve overuse in soccer and develop different core muscles. The running on a hard court, jumping and landing, especially for girls, is too hard on the knees and likely a contributing factor to ACL/MCL issues.

We’ve had good luck with swim, but I could also see gymnastics and tennis working as a “crosstraining” tool. Forget baseball/softball and lacrosse, as neither does much for soccer given the focus on hand-eye coordination in both. Lacrosse has some interesting similarities in movement patterns and conditioning, but you’d be better off running track if speed and conditioning was the goal.

Honestly, some rest and recovery days and a good strength and conditioning program should be more useful to a soccer player than playing other sports, unless mental burnout is an issue.

Comment

Did everyone stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? All these experts, How lucky are we on this board!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X