Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some GDA clubs are just terrible; come on your kid has played some of them already, admit it. You happen to be at a better one. Not every player has a good club nearby and have to chose based on what is available to them. All GDA has done is split the talent and resources and it's strengths/weaknesses varies a great deal location to location.
    Yes, it all depends on the clubs available and how far you are willing to commute.

The GDA extension to U13 is definitely a reaction to ECNL starting at U13 this year and pre-ECNL at U12 (playing 9v9). Many higher-level players move clubs at those ages to join a ECNL club when they are outgrowing their current club team. Right now, the best players would likely be in ECNL at U13 then be faced with switching clubs/teams to move to GDA at U14. By moving it down, it gives the option straight away to enter the GDA club and carry forward with that.

It will be interesting next year -- there are many in GDA currently that are not happy (for a variety of reasons -- cost, perceived value, poor coaching, playing time, etc.). Really what US Soccer should be doing is kicking out the bad clubs and making it what it should have been in the first place -- an elite environment for only the best with consistent coaching and facilities.

Comment

There are a lot of disgruntled families that were part of the DA on LI and most of the parents I know from Fury are really frustrated. The same issues you have/had with ECNL sounds like are actually worse at DA. LISC will be biggest benefactor. It’s only because people are running from other options and not necessarily running to LISC.

Anyone else hearing similar?

Comment

Yes, it all depends on the clubs available and how far you are willing to commute.

The GDA extension to U13 is definitely a reaction to ECNL starting at U13 this year and pre-ECNL at U12 (playing 9v9). Many higher-level players move clubs at those ages to join a ECNL club when they are outgrowing their current club team. Right now, the best players would likely be in ECNL at U13 then be faced with switching clubs/teams to move to GDA at U14. By moving it down, it gives the option straight away to enter the GDA club and carry forward with that.

It will be interesting next year -- there are many in GDA currently that are not happy (for a variety of reasons -- cost, perceived value, poor coaching, playing time, etc.). Really what US Soccer should be doing is kicking out the bad clubs and making it what it should have been in the first place -- an elite environment for only the best with consistent coaching and facilities.
        It's a move to get more market share, pure and simple. More GDA teams means fewer players in ECNL. No way GDA kicks clubs out anytime after one year; 2-3 at least if not longer (they'll use the newness of the league as an excuse); If anything they want to expand so they don't want to cut. Also, doing it quickly makes them look foolish/highlight their mistakes. BDA does relegate but not often and not after a period of probation.

Comment

There are a lot of disgruntled families that were part of the DA on LI and most of the parents I know from Fury are really frustrated. The same issues you have/had with ECNL sounds like are actually worse at DA. LISC will be biggest benefactor. It’s only because people are running from other options and not necessarily running to LISC.

Anyone else hearing similar?
          Interesting point on LISC being the benefactor of unhappy parents. Would those Fury parents go back to Alby ECNL or would they see that as just more of the same with the same trainers?

Comment

Interesting point on LISC being the benefactor of unhappy parents. Would those Fury parents go back to Alby ECNL or would they see that as just more of the same with the same trainers?
            I would think no. Don’t know, but I would guess hey would go LISC.

Comment

I would think no. Don’t know, but I would guess hey would go LISC.
              Or NYSC, its not that far, 45m-1H commute, and they will gladly take any former DA players, or ECNl players, or NPL players, or EDP players, or WYSL players, or AYSO....

Comment

Ive heard some of the complaints from some folks at Fury, but it wasn't about the trainers or even Fury as a club, it's more about GDA as a league.

The problem that some Fury players face, is the lack of substantial competition in league play. Now GDA supporters will drone on that "it's about the training, THE TRAINING!" but let's be honest...the best training in the world doesn't matter if the kids are rarely challenged in a game and when at least half your games are essentially against "cones", you're not being challenged. Not to mention the decreased playing time some very strong players are seeing because the coaches know the games are going to be blowouts and are trying to give the kids at the bottom of the roster some PT.

Also you have to take into consideration the sacrifices these kids are making by walking away from school soccer and ODP. We can blather all we want on here about "becoming the best player they can be" yadda, yadda, but kids like recognition and experiences that offer positive reinforcement. One of my kid's friends that plays for Fury was basically in tears this week, so sad that she wasn't going to Arizona for ODP National Camp (neither was my kid, she's not in ODP, but one of their good friends was invited). It's hard to reconcile when the GDA curtain has been pulled back and GDA has been revealed to be just another league.

Based on some convos I've had with a couple parents, I think the shift you're going to see on LI, is a switch back to ECNL for some of these players. Nobody has mentioned anything about LISC and if you take into consideration what the basis of the frustration is, joining the lowest caliber club in GDA doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Ive heard some of the complaints from some folks at Fury, but it wasn't about the trainers or even Fury as a club, it's more about GDA as a league.

The problem that some Fury players face, is the lack of substantial competition in league play. Now GDA supporters will drone on that "it's about the training, THE TRAINING!" but let's be honest...the best training in the world doesn't matter if the kids are rarely challenged in a game and when at least half your games are essentially against "cones", you're not being challenged. Not to mention the decreased playing time some very strong players are seeing because the coaches know the games are going to be blowouts and are trying to give the kids at the bottom of the roster some PT.

Also you have to take into consideration the sacrifices these kids are making by walking away from school soccer and ODP. We can blather all we want on here about "becoming the best player they can be" yadda, yadda, but kids like recognition and experiences that offer positive reinforcement. One of my kid's friends that plays for Fury was basically in tears this week, so sad that she wasn't going to Arizona for ODP National Camp (neither was my kid, she's not in ODP, but one of their good friends was invited). It's hard to reconcile when the GDA curtain has been pulled back and GDA has been revealed to be just another league.

Based on some convos I've had with a couple parents, I think the shift you're going to see on LI, is a switch back to ECNL for some of these players. Nobody has mentioned anything about LISC and if you take into consideration what the basis of the frustration is, joining the lowest caliber club in GDA doesn't make much sense.
                  This is kinda funny considering only one Fury team finished first in their division.

U15 - 2nd 12-3 +37 Goal Diff

U16/17 - 1st 11-3 +31 Goal Diff

U18/19 - 5th 5-9 -22 Goal Diff

I'm not saying that isn't pretty good, just saying they are not "bored" either and their success would likely be similar in ECNL as well.

Comment

This is kinda funny considering only one Fury team finished first in their division.

U15 - 2nd 12-3 +37 Goal Diff

U16/17 - 1st 11-3 +31 Goal Diff

U18/19 - 5th 5-9 -22 Goal Diff

I'm not saying that isn't pretty good, just saying they are not "bored" either and their success would likely be similar in ECNL as well.
                    Think younger...

Comment

Think younger...
                      Same issue all over in all ages. We all needed another high cost, high travel soccer league like we all needed a hole in the head. Dilutes everything and results in a lot of unequal match ups.

Try to find a solution for your player and accept that it will not be perfect. How about us soccer launches a lower cost, lower travel, highly competitive league. Please.

Comment

Same issue all over in all ages. We all needed another high cost, high travel soccer league like we all needed a hole in the head. Dilutes everything and results in a lot of unequal match ups.

Try to find a solution for your player and accept that it will not be perfect. How about us soccer launches a lower cost, lower travel, highly competitive league. Please.
                        Won’t happen. With another NWSL franchise closing, there just isn’t the money in the girls arena. USSDA should have worked with ECNL from the beginning. Could have hatched out a better program. It will get worse not better for GDA.

Comment

Parents need the absurd travel so they can justify all of the money they spend as well. Little Jane needs to travel to Virginia to play 20 minutes in a DA game because there's no competition in the tri state area good enough for her!

Comment

Parents need the absurd travel so they can justify all of the money they spend as well. Little Jane needs to travel to Virginia to play 20 minutes in a DA game because there's no competition in the tri state area good enough for her!
                            There are a few loonies every where. Many more are not fond of it much at all. Gda, ecnl, no diff.

Comment

There are a few loonies every where. Many more are not fond of it much at all. Gda, ecnl, no diff.
                              Nor are soccer parents alone in their lunacy - hockey, baseball, gymnastics, competitive dance....

Comment

Your post puts a lot into perspective. I also agree with much of your post. A year ago I would have said who cares about high school, ODP, etc, and that your daughter, if good enough, needs to be in a DA program. But, your points are well taken. Bottom line, unless your daughter is a top player (top 3 or so on a DA and/or a potential NT player) ECNL may be a better overall experience for your kid. A potential goal for boys is Pro. That’s not a real option for girls. College is the end game and you can get there with ECNL just as easily as with DA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X