Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And for the current OYSA clubs, where's the oversight for coaching standards? Some of the coaching provided by member OYSA clubs is simply horrific. The same standards need to be applied to all clubs.
    Exactly. And the problem with saying it’s all about standards now is the last many years that oysa has given the serious short end of the stick to gps. Ever since that team (all but the club hopper) left Westside, everyone has been out to get them. Making them play in Division 1 even though they won Premier the year before...seeding them last in State Cup because they didn’t play on Premier...or played a year up. This year they put them in the same bracket as the top 03 league team. Why is 1 playing 2 in the semis? Of course that hurt FCSC who should be playing in the Finals. Not that I have any love for that gps team or that coach but it’s been so plain to see as an outsider that OYSA is a good ol’ boy “club” and the big existing clubs sure have done their best to not only ruin that coach but also that team. To me that’s sad. If they weren’t good and beating everyone despite doing it “on their own”, oysa and no one else would care about standards or anything else. You have the entrance fees for Div 2 and Founders Cup? Yes? Welcome, come on in. But if you think you can do your own little thing and beat out the big clubs every year, we will bury you. It’s petty and exactly what is going on here. The RH taking 10 teams with her seems like a much bigger deal to me. Either way, new clubs and opportunities will keep the old ones honest and motivated to improve their product for us customers.

Comment

Exactly. And the problem with saying it’s all about standards now is the last many years that oysa has given the serious short end of the stick to gps. Ever since that team (all but the club hopper) left Westside, everyone has been out to get them. Making them play in Division 1 even though they won Premier the year before...seeding them last in State Cup because they didn’t play on Premier...or played a year up. This year they put them in the same bracket as the top 03 league team. Why is 1 playing 2 in the semis? Of course that hurt FCSC who should be playing in the Finals. Not that I have any love for that gps team or that coach but it’s been so plain to see as an outsider that OYSA is a good ol’ boy “club” and the big existing clubs sure have done their best to not only ruin that coach but also that team. To me that’s sad. If they weren’t good and beating everyone despite doing it “on their own”, oysa and no one else would care about standards or anything else. You have the entrance fees for Div 2 and Founders Cup? Yes? Welcome, come on in. But if you think you can do your own little thing and beat out the big clubs every year, we will bury you. It’s petty and exactly what is going on here. The RH taking 10 teams with her seems like a much bigger deal to me. Either way, new clubs and opportunities will keep the old ones honest and motivated to improve their product for us customers.
      Not here to slam on GPS, but 2 observations:

1. Making them enter at d1 didn't hurt them one bit. Reinforced the "us v. the world" narrative. Brought those families together. That they had to work their way up only helped them.
      2. GPS Oregon did not demonstrate they could scale. They were unable to move past 1 good boys' and girls' team. They demonstrated that MJ could coach 2 good teams; they did not demonstrate that they could run even 5 teams successfully.

Some implications from that:

1. Quality teams aren't hurt by making them start at the bottom rung.
      2. Because a coach is successful with 1 or 2 teams, does not mean they can run a club. They promised the world on fields and coaching; never delivered beyond 2 teams.

Comment

As for the seeding issue, I agree that is stupid and hurt FCSC. But, it happens to any team that didn't play in their fall/winter age division -- it's not a GPS specific thing. There are other examples. As for GPS, I don't think OYSA did anything. MJ went around treating the soccer community like crap because of 1 decent team. He's been fired from multiple clubs in multiple states! Do we not remember that? He simply doesn't meet the standards.

Finally, RH is not taking 10 teams and maybe the point is that they are just doing it to further themselves and not the broader community and OYSA should be wary of that. The existing clubs at least put on a veneer of bettering the soccer community.

Comment

Exactly. And the problem with saying it’s all about standards now is the last many years that oysa has given the serious short end of the stick to gps. Ever since that team (all but the club hopper) left Westside, everyone has been out to get them. Making them play in Division 1 even though they won Premier the year before...seeding them last in State Cup because they didn’t play on Premier...or played a year up.

This is the problem with moving a team from club to club. These are same rules everyone agrees to.

This year they put them in the same bracket as the top 03 league team. Why is 1 playing 2 in the semis? Of course that hurt FCSC who should be playing in the Finals. Not that I have any love for that gps team or that coach but it’s been so plain to see as an outsider that OYSA is a good ol’ boy “club” and the big existing clubs sure have done their best to not only ruin that coach but also that team. To me that’s sad. If they weren’t good and beating everyone despite doing it “on their own”, oysa and no one else would care about standards or anything else.

Read how seeding is done.

You have the entrance fees for Div 2 and Founders Cup? Yes? Welcome, come on in. But if you think you can do your own little thing and beat out the big clubs every year, we will bury you. It’s petty and exactly what is going on here. The RH taking 10 teams with her seems like a much bigger deal to me. Either way, new clubs and opportunities will keep the old ones honest and motivated to improve their product for us customers.
          Every club has to deal with the same rules since the beginning of time. You are asking for entitlement.

Comment

As for the seeding issue, I agree that is stupid and hurt FCSC. But, it happens to any team that didn't play in their fall/winter age division -- it's not a GPS specific thing. There are other examples. As for GPS, I don't think OYSA did anything. MJ went around treating the soccer community like crap because of 1 decent team. He's been fired from multiple clubs in multiple states! Do we not remember that? He simply doesn't meet the standards.

Finally, RH is not taking 10 teams and maybe the point is that they are just doing it to further themselves and not the broader community and OYSA should be wary of that. The existing clubs at least put on a veneer of bettering the soccer community.
            What about when OYSA wouldn’t let a competitor to Bend Timbers form and join oysa because they didn’t want to hurt the membership of Bend Timbers? Don’t be so naive as to think that MJ’s teams have been given equal treatment. At the time that team left Westside, all the big club directors got together and said we can’t allow them to succeed or others might get the same idea. They never thought MJ’s team would succeed, much less beat all of their teams year after year. Then the goal came to be let’s split them up so one of us has a chance to win. No matter how unsavory MJ might be, they would be doing the same thing to even a beloved, well liked and respected coach if they did the same thing. That’s what worries me. The big picture of this hurts us all. I don’t care about MJ one way or another. On the other hand, I know all this because now my club team finally has a chance to take State and maybe FWRL and more. The sad part is it will be a hollow victory and our players will be no better than before.

Comment

Your first point is wrong. Salmon Creek's 00 girls never do winter OYSA league and are always seeded #1 come state cup time.

Comment

This is nuts

In the history of Oregon there have been many dynasty teams and the same rules applied to them.

It would seem by your narrative the team has struggled to stick with a club. The rules did not change because of them, they have been in place for years and years.

As far as I know no one is breaking them up now. HSC GPS will play for two state cups and I feel they will win at least one. The HSC GPS will then field a team or teams at regional's.

HSC GPS remains a soccer club in OYSA and in good standing. As far as I know they are financially strong, have coaching, fields and serviced the community for several years.

I really don't understand the issue.

Comment

Your first point is wrong. Salmon Creek's 00 girls never do winter OYSA league and are always seeded #1 come state cup time.
                  NW Conference or the former FWRL counts for seeding too. And actually, I don't know what the OP is talking about because GPS is the #2 seed in the State Cup this year based on their NW Conference play. FCSC is #3. As opposed to the Crossfire THUSC team in the 06 age group that played 05 fall premier. They were seeded last for the State Cup.

Comment

NW Conference or the former FWRL counts for seeding too. And actually, I don't know what the OP is talking about because GPS is the #2 seed in the State Cup this year based on their NW Conference play. FCSC is #3. As opposed to the Crossfire THUSC team in the 06 age group that played 05 fall premier. They were seeded last for the State Cup.
                    My daughter is on the GPS team, has been since the split from BSC (not Westside). The team has represented Oregon well in FWRL (losing in the finals last 2 years) and in the National League the last 2 years (first year qualifying for Nationals with 2nd place league play, this year losing a couple heartbreakers in Vegas).

I have been told that even though GPS has won state cup 3 years in a row, we were not seeded #1 for State Cup because Washington Timbers played in the RCL for league play (in the 2nd division and placed second to last). If I'm FCSC, I would be more upset because they placed 1st on division on OYSA. I understand GPS being seeded higher than FCSC because the girls played up 2 age groups in Winter league, are the FWRL runners up and current holders of the cup. But Washington Timbers had nothing on their resume to warrant 1st seed. Not sure why RCL play in 2nd division gets them a free pass to top seed.

Maybe they prove their seeding this weekend and beat our team, but still, the seeding is poorly executed. Also, usually seeding is more of a "snake" process, with the 5th ranked team placed in the bracket with the 4th brackets top seed. But OYSA has #1 seed in top bracket, then the #5 seed in the same bracket. I find that odd as well.

Comment

Why does is have to be a non profit model? There are only 2 states in the entire country that have the non-profit constraint, why is it needed?
                      It think you answered this question yourself, OYSA has a non-profit requirement for all member clubs.

Not for Profit Organizations are regulated by local, state and federal laws. The purpose of a non-profit corporation or association is to conduct business for the benefit of the general public without shareholders and without a profit motive.

Nonprofit organizations must register with and be certified by the Secretary of State. The Department of Justice regulates charitable activities in Oregon.

You can go into private business doing 'soccer' in Oregon of course, you just can't be a member of the OYSA.

Comment

In the history of Oregon there have been many dynasty teams and the same rules applied to them.

It would seem by your narrative the team has struggled to stick with a club. The rules did not change because of them, they have been in place for years and years.

As far as I know no one is breaking them up now. HSC GPS will play for two state cups and I feel they will win at least one. The HSC GPS will then field a team or teams at regional's.

HSC GPS remains a soccer club in OYSA and in good standing. As far as I know they are financially strong, have coaching, fields and serviced the community for several years.

I really don't understand the issue.
                        Well that pretty much sums up your information sourcing is quite limited, unverified and sadly not based on facts that available to the general public.

Comment

Well that pretty much sums up your information sourcing is quite limited, unverified and sadly not based on facts that available to the general public.
                          The dude owes $28k to GPS. Run from this guy....run far away

Comment

The dude owes $28k to GPS. Run from this guy....run far away
                            For what?

Comment

My daughter is on the GPS team, has been since the split from BSC (not Westside). The team has represented Oregon well in FWRL (losing in the finals last 2 years) and in the National League the last 2 years (first year qualifying for Nationals with 2nd place league play, this year losing a couple heartbreakers in Vegas).

I have been told that even though GPS has won state cup 3 years in a row, we were not seeded #1 for State Cup because Washington Timbers played in the RCL for league play (in the 2nd division and placed second to last). If I'm FCSC, I would be more upset because they placed 1st on division on OYSA. I understand GPS being seeded higher than FCSC because the girls played up 2 age groups in Winter league, are the FWRL runners up and current holders of the cup. But Washington Timbers had nothing on their resume to warrant 1st seed. Not sure why RCL play in 2nd division gets them a free pass to top seed.

Maybe they prove their seeding this weekend and beat our team, but still, the seeding is poorly executed. Also, usually seeding is more of a "snake" process, with the 5th ranked team placed in the bracket with the 4th brackets top seed. But OYSA has #1 seed in top bracket, then the #5 seed in the same bracket. I find that odd as well.
                              Congratulations for your daughter and her team's success. They do use the "snake" method of seeding -- I guess they got that right. So in your case, your group had the #2, #7, and #10 seeds. The problem was that FCSC was #3 when they maybe should have been #2 ...

Comment

seeding

Congratulations for your daughter and her team's success. They do use the "snake" method of seeding -- I guess they got that right. So in your case, your group had the #2, #7, and #10 seeds. The problem was that FCSC was #3 when they maybe should have been #2 ...
                                everyone complains about seeding. NCAA brackets and all tournament.

Deal with it and play.

Story is no one is out to get this team. When they moved clubs there are rules to follow. When you play in a different league and go back to your age group there are processes OYSA tries to follow Deal with it.

It is a great team, they will likely win and do well at regional's.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X