•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OYSA Timbers History - 2012

January
    Update on OPL Discussion
    oChuck provided an update on the meeting between OYSA and OPC on reunited soccer. We are hopeful to receive a proposal this week from the OPC.
    oIt is likely that we will be holding separate Spring and Winter Leagues due to the timing of this decision.

[ED Report] OPL–The OPL requested a meeting with me and a few members of our board to discuss rejoining OYSA/US Youth Soccer. Matt, Dave and John Cronkrite and I, along with Mike, Brian and Kelly met with a few of the Club Presidents and Head Coaches from the OPC. There was a lot of discussion and while we did not come out of the meeting with an agreement, each side came away with a better understanding of how a reunification could work and the benefits to all involved. I expect we will have something more specific to consider in a few weeks.
    Portland Timbers/ODP–I made a few minor changes to the draft agreement for the boys ODP program as well as developed a draft agreement for the girls program as well. Both documents were delivered to the Timbers just prior to the Holidays and I await their signatures.

February
    Update on OPL Discussion
    oChuck provided an update on the meeting between O YSA and OPC on reunited soccer. We are hopeful to receive a proposal this week from the OPC.
    oIt is likely that we will be holding separate Spring and Winter Leagues due to the timing of this decision.
    [ED Report] OPL – We are still waiting for a proposal from the OPC regarding reunification. I expect I will have something from them prior to our February meeting.
    Portland Timbers/ODP – I met with the Timbers on January 30th to go over the Boy’s and Girl’s ODP agreements. I expect a signed Boy’s ODP agreement prior to the February Board Meeting and am hopeful we will have an agreement for the Girl’s program prior to the AGM.

March
    Update on OPC Discussion
    o Matt started the update by sharing that while we were in Miami for the US Soccer Federation AGM that we heard that the OPC had announced that there were no discussions with OYSA and that they were going to enter all of their teams in the OPC State Cup, rather than the US Youth Soccer National Championship Series. Chuck added that apparently Gavin Wilkinson, General Manager of the Portland Timbers has made a deal with US Club Soccer to register players with them, in exchange for some compensation and encouraged the OPC to stay with US Club Soccer. The OPC apparently subsequently voted to not join OYSA and to work with the Timbers through their new partnership with US Club Soccer.
    Discussion followed.
    [ED Report] OPC – I have received no other correspondence from the OPC regarding our discussions to unify soccer since their letter dated February 6, 2012. I was forwarded a copy (which I forwarded to the board) of an email sent out from the OPC to participating clubs informing them that there were no discussions underway with OYSA regarding a potential partnership. It would appear our discussions have ended, though, again, nobody from the OPC has been kind enough to inform us directly.
    Portland Timbers/ODP – I signed an agreement with the Timbers on February 24th. I received unofficial information on March 1st that the Timbers were entering into an agreement with US Club Soccer in which they would receive a financial incentive to register US Club Soccer members in Oregon. Since I had not yet received an executed copy of the agreement from the Timbers, I faxed them a notice that I rescinded my approval of the agreement. I followed this up with a hand delivered letter March 6th making the same assertion. I feel it is highly inappropriate to partner with an organization that is actively working to register soccer players with our competition.

April
    Update on OPC Discussion -
    oMatt Madeira summarized his recent meetings with the Portland Timbers and members of the OPC for the board.
    Matt heard very clearly that unifying soccer in Oregon is not a priority
    for the OPC and they are not interested in working with OYSA this year.
    o Chuck Keers shared his insight on the recent events and information received to date.
    o Chuck Keers discussed where he believes OYSA should go from here:
    ODP Partner with Portland Timbers
    Strengthen existing Leagues & Tournaments
    Coaching Clinics
    Membership growth and retention
    Explore new events/services
    Identify our niche and build on our strengths
    [ollowing is an email included in minutes as an exhibit]

- To: Oregon Youth Soccer Association Board
    Re: President Report

March 2012 1.
    Met with Gavin Wilkinson from the Portland Timbers, Davy Dupon from Westside Timbers Soccer Club, John Bain–OPC President, and Lake Oswego Representatives Fraser Morrison and Mark Olin. I will make a verbal report.
    [ED Report] - There aren’t any new developments regarding the status of our efforts to work cooperatively with the Oregon Premier Council. We distributed an open letter to our membership, and others, explaining the lengths we went to try to accommodate their needs and reunite soccer in the state. We still have not received any communication directly from the OPC of their intent to terminate the discussions we were having.
    Portland Timbers/ODP–I discussed the written agreement with an attorney who felt we had a better than average chance of prevailing in a legal contest about whether we could rescind execution. After much reflection, I have decided to let the agreement stand. The lack of personal integrity, honor and professionalism of individual employee (s) of the organization does not negate the programmatic benefits to our members inherent in the new program design.

May - August
    [nothing Timbers related]

September
    [ED Report] - Portland Timbers– I met with Mike Golub, Chief Operating Officer for the Portland Timbers, to share our frustration about the active role the Timbers have taken to encourage clubs to register their players, particularly their recreational players, with organizations other than OYSA. These efforts are dividing the recreational community in the same way the OPL has divided the competitive community, exacerbating the splintering and degradation of our soccer community. Our nearly 40 year history of building youth soccer in the state, our decade long relationship supporting/partnering with the USL Timbers and our recent partnership with the MLS Timbers regarding ODP makes their recent actions particularly troubling.

October-December
    [nothing Timbers related]
    Last edited by Slow Xavi; 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM. Reason: Added 2nd Half of Year

1st 6 months above of 2012; will post 2nd half later. Included any mention of OPC/OPL as well, as it becomes part of the discussion re Timbers in March and April.

See 2013 thread for formatting explaination.

Comment

Added 2nd half of 2012 above.

Comment

bump bump

Comment

Did OYSA make a mistake in allowing Timbers to take over ODP?
          In the above, it says there were different set ups for boys and girls ODP. Why wasn’t ODP the same for both genders?

Comment

This is one harsh quote:

March 2012 1.
            Met with Gavin Wilkinson from the Portland Timbers, Davy Dupon from Westside Timbers Soccer Club, John Bain–OPC President, and Lake Oswego Representatives Fraser Morrison and Mark Olin. I will make a verbal report.
            [ED Report] - There aren’t any new developments regarding the status of our efforts to work cooperatively with the Oregon Premier Council. We distributed an open letter to our membership, and others, explaining the lengths we went to try to accommodate their needs and reunite soccer in the state. We still have not received any communication directly from the OPC of their intent to terminate the discussions we were having.
            Portland Timbers/ODP–I discussed the written agreement with an attorney who felt we had a better than average chance of prevailing in a legal contest about whether we could rescind execution. After much reflection, I have decided to let the agreement stand. The lack of personal integrity, honor and professionalism of individual employee (s) of the organization does not negate the programmatic benefits to our members inherent in the new program design.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X