Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillips Exeter Girls Soccer

Hopefully I don't get too much flak for this question.

D wants to apply to prep school. Excellent student, good (but not "special" amazing) athlete. Exeter is her top choice. Obviously also among the most difficult to gain admission to do this may be a moot point regardless. Still:

I sat her down and asked what she wants from HS. She wants excellent academics and to be around kids who enjoy school. But she also sees sports, particularly soccer, as a part of HS. If she goes to our public school, there's little doubt she's making the team. She's not the best among the "elite" club girls but she is in our little town.

But what i don't know is what it takes to play soccer at a school like Exeter. She's top of her NPL team but her NPL team is our club's B team. Coach has frankly told her she's interchangeable with the bottom of the A team roster. Essentially, she's decent enough for A team but not strong enough to justify displacing anyone. So top of the B team is where she stays. I'm saying this for context.

I know academics should be and will be the main factor. But in the interest of fact finding, can anyone tell me if a strong NPL player is likely to make the team at a school like Exeter? My goal is to let her understand what the full picture looks may look like at her options.

Did you post a similar inquiry in August?

And, yes, you likely will get some flack because, well....I honestly don't know why but there's people on here who just want to give flack....

As to your question, I'd say "yes". There is still a little vagueness in your question (i.e. not all A and B teams are alike, and a B team on one club could be another club's A team), but from my experience within the NH Soccer Community I would think so. Maybe not Freshman year, but likely by Sophomore and more likely after that.

Comment

Thank you.

I do not think I posted this before, as my D just talked to us about it this year with some input from her guidance counselor (academic input). But I will read through the posts to see if there is relevant info. Or if maybe my spouse also posted?! She reads here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Thank you.

I do not think I posted this before, as my D just talked to us about it this year with some input from her guidance counselor (academic input). But I will read through the posts to see if there is relevant info. Or if maybe my spouse also posted?! She reads here as well.
        Ha, no worries. Possibly the case. You likely won't find much more info as I was the only one who replied and it's likely similar :-)

Comment

We have some experience with this. A school like Exeter is full of excellent students. If she gets in, she’ll most likely makes the team. The question is, is she a good enough student to get in without coach’s pull? It definitely helps to have a hook, as these schools are loaded with bright and talented kids.

Comment

Hopefully I don't get too much flak for this question.

D wants to apply to prep school. Excellent student, good (but not "special" amazing) athlete. Exeter is her top choice. Obviously also among the most difficult to gain admission to do this may be a moot point regardless. Still:

I sat her down and asked what she wants from HS. She wants excellent academics and to be around kids who enjoy school. But she also sees sports, particularly soccer, as a part of HS. If she goes to our public school, there's little doubt she's making the team. She's not the best among the "elite" club girls but she is in our little town.

But what i don't know is what it takes to play soccer at a school like Exeter. She's top of her NPL team but her NPL team is our club's B team. Coach has frankly told her she's interchangeable with the bottom of the A team roster. Essentially, she's decent enough for A team but not strong enough to justify displacing anyone. So top of the B team is where she stays. I'm saying this for context.

I know academics should be and will be the main factor. But in the interest of fact finding, can anyone tell me if a strong NPL player is likely to make the team at a school like Exeter? My goal is to let her understand what the full picture looks may look like at her options.

Depends on what you are asking. Are you asking if she can she make the team if gets in or can she use soccer as a hook? Yes, she can make the team if she gets in. But as a hook?
            You can see if they are interested. If they are interested in your player, they will let you know asap. Sounds like your dd is an 8th grader and applications should be started soon. Go to the open houses and you can see the situation. Look at the need of the soccer program. Are all of the seniors leaving next year? Etc. No different than college recruitment.

My dd was a recruited athlete for a <10% admit prep school, actually probably 2% admit in her case. This wasn't an official recruitment like in college, but rather we would really like her to attend this school hints and phone calls. She is a regional level athlete and a top player in her club. Projection is academic D1 or D3, think Ivy to Williams. It is difficult to get these types of girls b/c they have to fit academically, socially, financially, and athletically. But her sport was the hook that got her in. Good luck.

Comment

Some Privates will recruit like college if they really want them. My niece had constant contact from 4-5 schools before settling on St. Paul's. It felt very similar to a college recruiting activity.

Also, more than one sport does help in this instance. If they are a varsity level player, they can use one player to fill spots on multiple teams, they will give out $$ accordingly.

Comment

Depends on what you are asking. Are you asking if she can she make the team if gets in or can she use soccer as a hook? Yes, she can make the team if she gets in. But as a hook?
                You can see if they are interested. If they are interested in your player, they will let you know asap. Sounds like your dd is an 8th grader and applications should be started soon. Go to the open houses and you can see the situation. Look at the need of the soccer program. Are all of the seniors leaving next year? Etc. No different than college recruitment.

My dd was a recruited athlete for a <10% admit prep school, actually probably 2% admit in her case. This wasn't an official recruitment like in college, but rather we would really like her to attend this school hints and phone calls. She is a regional level athlete and a top player in her club. Projection is academic D1 or D3, think Ivy to Williams. It is difficult to get these types of girls b/c they have to fit academically, socially, financially, and athletically. But her sport was the hook that got her in. Good luck.
                Thank you for that information, and to the poster who shared info about his/her niece. My question is definitely more can she make the team if she gets in, as she sees playing HS sports as an experience she wants (and while academics are of the utmost importance, i also want to make sure her whole self is happy, and if that means sports, then I support that). Having soccer as a hook would only be a bonus.

She is a 3 sport athlete and strong in all 3, although soccer is her main focus (by far). The other 2, she is the type of kid who would make a local HS team without an issue but she won't be a college recruit.

This is all new to me. How does a player get on the radar of a prep school coach prior to the actual application? Just by filling out the online form? We don't have video or anything like that. Is it needed for prep school?

Comment

Thank you for that information, and to the poster who shared info about his/her niece. My question is definitely more can she make the team if she gets in, as she sees playing HS sports as an experience she wants (and while academics are of the utmost importance, i also want to make sure her whole self is happy, and if that means sports, then I support that). Having soccer as a hook would only be a bonus.

She is a 3 sport athlete and strong in all 3, although soccer is her main focus (by far). The other 2, she is the type of kid who would make a local HS team without an issue but she won't be a college recruit.

This is all new to me. How does a player get on the radar of a prep school coach prior to the actual application? Just by filling out the online form? We don't have video or anything like that. Is it needed for prep school?
                  My niece played 3 in school, but only one in college. She likely could've played the others (DIII level) but needed to concentrate on one there.

She was identified through club activity/seen at events. I will say, her initial contacts were through hockey, and once it was found she was a good soccer & lacrosse player that was easier. But, they contacted her.

That being said, reach out to the coach of any school you are interested in. Ask to come to a game and meet with them, give them her schedule. If you have a video, great, but not sure how well it helps at this age.

Comment

I’m the poster from post #5. Our child was recruited by Exeter and St Paul’s. We contacted both coaches and had lots of video. Neither saw my kid play in a game. Our child had straight A’s in 4 years of middle school, outstanding SSAT scores and interviewed well at both schools. He/she gained acceptance to both schools, and attended one of them, but I am convinced that without the sports hook and support of the coaches, the story would likely have been different, and he/she would have ended up at our public school. When you get inside one of these places, you begin to understand what your child is up against as far as admissions. We didn’t have the finances to build them a building or a football field, which is not unusual, and depended heavily on financial aid.

Once your child is in , she would likely make the team, as the average skill level is most likely comparable to your daughter’s. With that said, in my experience, I don’t think NPL 2nd team is a big enough hook to get the job done at Exeter. There are other schools in NH where it could work, but if you need financial aid, there is less money at those other schools. Few schools have the financial aid packages of SPS and Exeter.

To get into top tier NH prep, you need to be wildly rich, have a great hook, have a very, very good connection or a parent that works there, or be absolutely academically brilliant. We saw a handful of academically gifted private school kids denied at our child’s school

Comment

I’m the poster from post #5. Our child was recruited by Exeter and St Paul’s. We contacted both coaches and had lots of video. Neither saw my kid play in a game. Our child had straight A’s in 4 years of middle school, outstanding SSAT scores and interviewed well at both schools. He/she gained acceptance to both schools, and attended one of them, but I am convinced that without the sports hook and support of the coaches, the story would likely have been different, and he/she would have ended up at our public school. When you get inside one of these places, you begin to understand what your child is up against as far as admissions. We didn’t have the finances to build them a building or a football field, which is not unusual, and depended heavily on financial aid.

Once your child is in , she would likely make the team, as the average skill level is most likely comparable to your daughter’s. With that said, in my experience, I don’t think NPL 2nd team is a big enough hook to get the job done at Exeter. There are other schools in NH where it could work, but if you need financial aid, there is less money at those other schools. Few schools have the financial aid packages of SPS and Exeter.

To get into top tier NH prep, you need to be wildly rich, have a great hook, have a very, very good connection or a parent that works there, or be absolutely academically brilliant. We saw a handful of academically gifted private school kids denied at our child’s school
                      Close to our experience. We sent videos and meet with the coaches and athletic director. Yes, we also had no real idea what she was up against before being admitted. Same buckets of types of kids being admitted. Not bad or good. Just how it is.

@ Post #8. You have to make videos. Ask other parents if they have video and make a video of highlights. If not, use your iphone. Put it on youtube and send links to the coaches. Find examples of good videos and follow similar formats. I would emphasis that she is a three sport athlete and can contribute to all, but emphasis soccer. Make a sport resume that you can send. Any accolades, awards, etc. Crazy I know for 8th grade, but it is a must. Go to the open houses and talk with them. Most coaches are very kind, but they can be very blunt if you will get support or not. So, be prepared. But before you do any of this, you have to brutally honest where your kid is at. You have to do your homework about the coach and team.

As an aside, I definitely do not like that A team coach, like he can tell with a 12-13 year old girl. If we listen to our old coach, my dd would have been on the bench and never would have had a chance at her current school. Fight for your kid. Yes, my dd smirks at him when she sees him. Rude, but acceptable behavior. :) Good luck!

Comment

Thank you. We do understand that it's unlikely it will work out. We have a good public school as well as a plan for another private option, that isn't top tier but would still give my D what she's looking for. She's in the 97th+ percentile on standardized tests, straight As, good athlete, etc so I think she feels there's no harm in trying. We support that but I think all 3 of us are realistic about the probable outcome.

Comment

Thank you. We do understand that it's unlikely it will work out. We have a good public school as well as a plan for another private option, that isn't top tier but would still give my D what she's looking for. She's in the 97th+ percentile on standardized tests, straight As, good athlete, etc so I think she feels there's no harm in trying. We support that but I think all 3 of us are realistic about the probable outcome.
                          Some schools have huge endowments and will offer money to those who need it. In my niece example, while she was a decent (not great) student, but good athlete, and comes from a family considered upper-middle class, she got a lot of money to attend St. P's. She ended up going there for a fraction of what her sister paid to go to UNH.

It's worth pursuing. At the minimum, maybe it can be a dry run for the college experience later?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X