Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Premier” & “Elite”

For the love of god, I wish “clubs” would stop using words like ‘premier’ and ‘elite’ in their team names. It’s very misleading and very easy to see that the program is not premier or elite. If it were they wouldn’t be playing NHSL. Elite players and programs are ECNL, Academy and some cases NPL. Definitely Not division 1 in NHSL. If you’re playing NHSL you’re a town/travel program end of story.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    For the love of god, I wish “clubs” would stop using words like ‘premier’ and ‘elite’ in their team names. It’s very misleading and very easy to see that the program is not premier or elite. If it were they wouldn’t be playing NHSL. Elite players and programs are ECNL, Academy and some cases NPL. Definitely Not division 1 in NHSL. If you’re playing NHSL you’re a town/travel program end of story.
    As long as it's up to the teams and it's nothing more than a marketing ploy, teams can call them whatever they want.

But, I agree with your point, just that it's not going to change...

Comment

Agree generally with your point. I think the original problem lies with the marketing powered, profit driven super-clubs and their purposefully confusing 'levels' of teams - all designed to make as many people pay as much as possible.

I hate it, but to some extent it does work, so it's not surprising that other teams are following their lead.

Comment

Agree generally with your point. I think the original problem lies with the marketing powered, profit driven super-clubs and their purposefully confusing 'levels' of teams - all designed to make as many people pay as much as possible.

I hate it, but to some extent it does work, so it's not surprising that other teams are following their lead.
        I feel the bigger clubs either have NPL Premier and select. Parents get put off by the name “Select” and will often turn down spots on teams with the bigger clubs because they only made a select team, and accept a spot on the premier or elite team because of the name, even though that team is a select level or worse. Parents get sold short by these coaches offering “premier” and “elite” programs but aren’t even a select level with no infrastructure.

Comment

I feel the bigger clubs either have NPL Premier and select. Parents get put off by the name “Select” and will often turn down spots on teams with the bigger clubs because they only made a select team, and accept a spot on the premier or elite team because of the name, even though that team is a select level or worse. Parents get sold short by these coaches offering “premier” and “elite” programs but aren’t even a select level with no infrastructure.
          Conversely, when the "bigger" clubs avoid the term, it also enables them to keep the string attached for some. i.e. Stars now has two ECNL teams, competing in the same league. They are most definitely an "A" and a "B" team, or an "Elite" and a "Select".

Rare is the person in their right mind who would sign up for that much cost and travel to be an a "B" team, but by referring to them as "East" and "West", some don't get it....

Comment

Let's not get carried away here .... plenty of horrific ECNL and Academy teams. Any parent that chooses a team or club because of the adjectives in their name deserves what they get. They are just words people. Should they call themselves GPS Garbage or NEFC Kickballers?

Comment

Let's not get carried away here .... plenty of horrific ECNL and Academy teams. Any parent that chooses a team or club because of the adjectives in their name deserves what they get. They are just words people. Should they call themselves GPS Garbage or NEFC Kickballers?
              Well, some words are marketing terms and some are insults, so your point is moot.

Comment

Should they call themselves GPS Garbage or NEFC Kickballers?
                My vote would be for distinct names, reflecting some pride in their locality or heritage, instead of a league made up of GPS Blue, GPS White, Seacoast United Waves, Seacoast United Ships, GPS Red, Seacoast United Pirates.

Comment

My vote would be for distinct names, reflecting some pride in their locality or heritage, instead of a league made up of GPS Blue, GPS White, Seacoast United Waves, Seacoast United Ships, GPS Red, Seacoast United Pirates.
                  Not sure if they still do, but I know GPS used to call their A and B teams Navy and White to try to blur the top and lower teams; at least at the younger ages.

Seacoast also used to use colors within a "Premier" designation for their NEP/NPL teams. Do they still?

Comment

trump

Conversely, when the "bigger" clubs avoid the term, it also enables them to keep the string attached for some. i.e. Stars now has two ECNL teams, competing in the same league. They are most definitely an "A" and a "B" team, or an "Elite" and a "Select".

Rare is the person in their right mind who would sign up for that much cost and travel to be an a "B" team, but by referring to them as "East" and "West", some don't get it....
                    complete relabel of Stars NPL to ECNL west, but guess who gets paid. Designer labels ain't cheap and doesn't mean they are good material.

Comment

Not sure if they still do, but I know GPS used to call their A and B teams Navy and White to try to blur the top and lower teams; at least at the younger ages.

Seacoast also used to use colors within a "Premier" designation for their NEP/NPL teams. Do they still?
                      Seacoast has NPL, Premier, and Select. Trouble is, I was foolish and put my daughter on a premier team only to later realize it's really a select level team with a premier price tag. New to club soccer this year and already want out. Wanted her on NPL and playing her preferred position. Getting neither.

Comment

Seacoast has NPL, Premier, and Select. Trouble is, I was foolish and put my daughter on a premier team only to later realize it's really a select level team with a premier price tag. New to club soccer this year and already want out. Wanted her on NPL and playing her preferred position. Getting neither.
                        If she is new this is not a new phenomenon getting put on a lower team. If she can not earn her way to the next level over the course of this year, then perhaps you should re-evaluate your view of her abilities. She has a chance to earn her way up, so don't put in her head that the team stinks and the system is rigged and there is nothing she can do. Everyone can't be the striker or a CM. Tell her to be more active in her current position (let me guess, outside back?) and make overlapping runs as an outside mid whenever she can. If she is active and does good things when she gets touches it is hard not to notice .... especially if she does it when scrimmaging the team she wants to be on (if they ever scrimmage each other). Sorry Barcelona didn't take her, now teach her about character and working hard to achieve what you want even if she didn't get what she thinks she deserved out of the gate. It's early in the season, tell her to be the best player on this team or get comfortable there.

Comment

What does she want? Is she good enough? Playing her preferred position...really? How old is she?

This sounds like it's on you...

Comment

Yes, beware of the Premier Blue/Premier White scheme, with no Select team below. Premier White is obviously the Select team in this scenario. It is smart of clubs to do this, though, as I know a bunch of kids this year who were put on a clearly labeled Select team, and ended up not signing the contract and playing elsewhere (despite the fact that they were clearly placed on the correct level team). If the team had been named Premier White, I'm almost positive they would have joined.

Comment

If she is new this is not a new phenomenon getting put on a lower team. If she can not earn her way to the next level over the course of this year, then perhaps you should re-evaluate your view of her abilities. She has a chance to earn her way up, so don't put in her head that the team stinks and the system is rigged and there is nothing she can do. Everyone can't be the striker or a CM. Tell her to be more active in her current position (let me guess, outside back?) and make overlapping runs as an outside mid whenever she can. If she is active and does good things when she gets touches it is hard not to notice .... especially if she does it when scrimmaging the team she wants to be on (if they ever scrimmage each other). Sorry Barcelona didn't take her, now teach her about character and working hard to achieve what you want even if she didn't get what she thinks she deserved out of the gate. It's early in the season, tell her to be the best player on this team or get comfortable there.
                              She doesn't look like the best player now. Having trouble with the style and clicking with her coach. She's better than she looks right now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X