•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Season in the Shadows

Per request, moving the saga of 'Hazel' AKA H2 to a new thread

Prologue:

Some DA high schoolers were seen moping in the halls at high school today. No t-shirts, no team lunches and camaraderie. Just 20-30 mammals (include dogs here) on the sideline for their games coming up in September. Algebra and Physics offer a modest respite from the sullenness and sadness for 13 Reasons Why they shouldn't play DA!

But proud Mom and Dad have moved their daughters into the shadows where they are comfortable and protected from the shell of suffering they both experienced in high school in the midwest. Herman, the father, is a modestly successful engineer, having moved up to Engineer III after 'only' 16 years in the organization. Sally, collected a nice severance from a local athletic wear company during cutbacks and is able to devote serious time to Hazel, our DA protege.

Follow me if you will, as we see how the DA season evolves. Will Hazel overcome the strains of high school in a near 'invisible' state? Can she conquer her fears and will she develop a relationship with Will? Will, a DA player himself, but who seems attracted to one of the popular Varsity soccer players, Jackie. Will Hazel confront her parents about the DA $ savings and point a finger at the new Range Rover Sally opted for with the severance ?

Stayed tuned as our fledgling young centerback's world turns!

================================================== ==================================
    Today was a really really crazy and weird day. First I thought I had my own locker and put all my stuff in it yesterday. Then today I find out that Shelley Batzelford is my locker partner! Cringy! Shelley used to be on the A team when we were like in 4th grade when I was on the B team. Eventually I made the A team after coach saw me at the LO Cup and well from there it was kinda history as I started to get better. Shelley had sure changed since those days. She has like 6 earrings and she put a Jul in our locker before she even put her binder in! Then I saw she is sporting some major inkage all over her back! Not that I really care but I don't see how anyone who plays soccer can vape. Shes still on the club team and nows she made JV so she got to wear the team jersey yesterday all day for game day. I know it shouldn't bother me but really! All the recognition and shes not even close to being a DA 2nd teamer.

God, we have to play some Norcal team this weekend. Placerville, I looked it up it used to be some gold mining town, really kinda cool. Anyway, I guess they're into soccer now too.
    I'm hoping to start but who knows really. We got some more kids from some random clubs; none of them are a threat I think but one kid might be according to Dad. He tries not to scare me about this stuff but maybe he knows something. He's weird too!
    Mom nixed nutella and has me on hummus from Seasons Market this week. I snuck in some nutella snack pack thingys so I can energize before practice. Mom said there is a big difference in the hummus at New Seasons and Fred Meyer so we only can have the New Seasons ones now.

This is kinda nerdy but I looked ahead in our Physics book today and saw a chapter on 'Angular Momentum'. I want to see if can help me with my free kicks. Ok, I'm a centerback now but I'm hoping to play other positions to learn the 'beautiful game' even more and learning some physics might help me with curving the ball. Some kids were saying that physics has nothing to do with 'real life' today on the first day. I'm gonna see if I can make some use out of it.

OMG I still can't believe out of all the kids - Shelley Batzelford. And yeah I saw a loser kid puke in the football stands after school. I think he was high and drunk! After seeing that I couldn't eat my nutella. Ok bye.

Hazel, sorry to tell you, but your mom had some real difficulties in her relationship with food in college. Not going to get into details, but probably attributable to her drinking; unfortunately, it also led to some really questionable relationships.

Just telling you as a concerned fellow PTA-member.

Comment

A Season in the Shadows Day 3

Ok this is really random but I hate it - soccer causes pimples. Only some of the lucky kids get away with no issues like Tessa Boucher. Her skin has always been FLAWLESS. I hate her! Just kidding really
      I'm using something called Biore Charcoal now - my Dad went around the house and counted all the bottles of face lotions and potions we have and it was 27 according to Herm (yes that's my Dads name he goes by). He says he hates 'disorder' and wants to minimize our household supplies that he calls 'wasted inventory'. When he complained about it Mom said for him to back off nicely. Then he complained again when we bought some more stuff for 'pimple combat' from rite Aid and there he went again. I was getting stressed out and Mom flipped him off! I couldn't believe it but she does that sometimes usually for real important stuff. She says its 'strategic' so I'm keeping that in mind for the future. I love my Mom.

Anyway Dad doesn't complain about the bottles anymore and I threw away the old ones and we probably only have like 20 bottles of different serums now. And TRUST me, I'm not doing this for boys oh NO I mean H*** NO - I have more pride than THAT! Ok Biore works good and I only pass that on cause we gotta stick together on these things and this might work for someone you know! Its CHARCOAL can you believe it?

Ok back to today - Two of the numbers in my locker combination are '4' and '20'! OMG Can you believe it because Shelley Batzelford does weed! She has a magazine for weed in our locker now and its has all the places and stuff she practically lives for! She told me her favorite is "Electric Lettuce" that her brother goes to and its LEGAL?. Its only the second day and shes telling me all this. First was just vaping which was bad enough, now I have a resident DRUG addict in my locker queendom. I can't believe my locker is going to be screwed this year and I'm not putting my uniform in there. If they drug tested me I could be banned from the DA for life! I'm not telling Mom and Dad, no way, duh.

Can't wait for tomorrow (NOT) - All the teams are playing again and will be wearing their stupid shirts and strutting around campus smiling and posing! Especially the Varsity because they act like they own the place! Meanwhile we gotta see who is going to play against the Placerville 'Miners'. I'm calling them the miners cause of the gold mining they used to do in northern California. Yeah its stupid but I can't think of a better nickname for now and Mandy thought it was funny. I love practice days because guess why? NO BUS RIDES WITH IDIOTS! I'm so happy but I'm also hungry so excuse me but I gotta have my secret nutella & Go to give me super strength for the rest of my day! I am not going by the bleachers today because I don't want to see any more BARF. I saw the BARF boy today I think - he looks like such a deranged skater! And thats being generous. I shouldn't have even brought this up again but my mind wanders too much!

Comment

Waaay too much time on your hands or should I say reading this discussion was completely not worth my time. Painful. I fail to see the benefit of the post. If the kid chose DA, a good life lesson here is to make the most of your choices. If the parent chose DA for the kid, then also a good life lesson to learn how to stand up for yourself and assert yourself or live with the consequences. Reporting about this story, if it is even true, in a negative way, is not only juvenile, it is a small minded person’s enjoyment. If this kid truly exists, tell them to embrace a lesson here to make them a stronger person and while they are at it, join a swim team, a volleyball club, robotics, cross country, perhaps basketball in winter or track and field in spring. Be a part of student council or other student clubs. Many ways to represent your school with pride that the DA rules do not prevent and better for cross training the body and mind anyway. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Waaay too much time on your hands or should I say reading this discussion was completely not worth my time. Painful. I fail to see the benefit of the post. If the kid chose DA, a good life lesson here is to make the most of your choices. If the parent chose DA for the kid, then also a good life lesson to learn how to stand up for yourself and assert yourself or live with the consequences. Reporting about this story, if it is even true, in a negative way, is not only juvenile, it is a small minded person’s enjoyment. If this kid truly exists, tell them to embrace a lesson here to make them a stronger person and while they are at it, join a swim team, a volleyball club, robotics, cross country, perhaps basketball in winter or track and field in spring. Be a part of student council or other student clubs. Many ways to represent your school with pride that the DA rules do not prevent and better for cross training the body and mind anyway. Grow up.
          I'm in High School and in the process of growing up, so as my Dad (Herm) like to say. "read it and weep!" sometimes followed by a couple of extra words I will refrain from posting here!

Comment

'Perhaps' HAH - Cross train my #*S, Mr. Rogers! U go join the Robotics Club or Student Council because I got my own plan for success and don't need an old fart lecture from the 90s. I wanna see what happens with Hazel, I'm pulling for her this year! Stay in YO LANE

Comment

'Perhaps' HAH - Cross train my #*S, Mr. Rogers! U go join the Robotics Club or Student Council because I got my own plan for success and don't need an old fart lecture from the 90s. I wanna see what happens with Hazel, I'm pulling for her this year! Stay in YO LANE
              I got a fever....a fever for more Hazel! Keep it coming you beautiful, anonymous writer!!

Comment

I got a fever....a fever for more Hazel! Keep it coming you beautiful, anonymous writer!!
                Writing to yourself again...

Comment

Writing to yourself again...
                  Actually no. I followed the saga of Hazel to this thread. I could care less what your point of view is on DA/HS soccer. I am enjoying the creative fiction, and personally I think the author shows talent. Also, I have a daughter who plays high school soccer and a son who plays DA. Enjoy it for what it is. A hell of a lot better and more creative than the redundant "DA sucks" ECNL sucks more..." cat fight of the past 2 years.

Comment

Hazel, sorry to tell you, but your mom had some real difficulties in her relationship with food in college. Not going to get into details, but probably attributable to her drinking; unfortunately, it also led to some really questionable relationships.

Just telling you as a concerned fellow PTA-member.
                    I knew her mom early in college. She was nice. Real nice to me. Lots of good times. She was still innocent when I first met her. She was weak for 101 turkey sours and they got her worked up real bad. She was beautiful but crazy.

Never a long term prospect but she was a real party back in those days.

Comment

Like NO friggin’ way could I have predicted what would happen today at lunch. Will Roosevelt came by MY Locker today! Well what I thought was going to be MY locker and only mine. Our locker was open and I was getting my folder out for Block and there he was, “Mr. Perfecto”, Will Roosevelt. He looked straight through me and didn’t even acknowledge my existence! I finally moved my head back as they were talking and twitched both my eyebrows sharply upwards as if to say “HELLO” Dude?! He literally eked out a meek “Hi Hazel” and then HE started talking to Batzelford about their math class that apparently they have together. Laughing, snickering and commiserating about the teacher. I guess the teacher was talking about math in ‘nature’ and something about a SNAIL and a logarithmic spiral. I thought I was the only kid who knew about the logarithmic spiral cause my Dad is really a super nerd and spent an hour once at Cape Kiwanda talking to us about the logarithmic spiral in some prehistoric looking snail shell my brother found on the beach. There is some kind of cream beer that he likes near that beach and I think he might have been drinking that day. Hes not an alcoholic Ok! so I wont have that drama in my life thank God, but drinking a beer does open him up a little bit in some interesting ways sometimes.
                      Ok I digress. Anyway, so I am now for sure positive that Will has taken a liking to Batzelford which is like an ULTIMATE DISS to my self esteem. He looked straight through me and didn’t even acknowledge my existence (OK I know I said that already) and continued to talk with the BAT. Oooohh I do like that nickname! Especially with her batty little sharp teeth! OMG perfect. And Will is NOT ALL THAT anyway. His AXE shampoo is SO friggin' obvious! My brother uses that and it literally stinks up the whole HOUSE! So friggin’ odiferous if that is even a word. And the ‘GREEN NEWS’ magazine and a friggin’ WATERMELON JUUL is sitting in the locker its such a nightmare! Did you know the JUUL package says "WELLNESS POD"!!!!! – a friggin joke – they are LITERALLY killing KIDS, right!?
                      DA Boys is really going downhill. I heard they’re losing players to football now. Lanny and Winston Matthews both quit and are playing JV. And Will was wearing his EMIRATES jersey again AS IF- Literally Pathetic!
                      ===============================================
                      I had a free block and I saw Matty Suarez! Shes playing in ECNL and was on my team like 2 years ago before the stupid age split thing. We hugged and then talked in the quad and I found out she was thinking about DA for next year! It took a little to get that from her but me and her always got along. We both played mid field back then. I was defensive and she was up. She told me NOT to tell anyone about the DA possibility so I have to keep my lips SEALED. WHO knows still she might have been buttering me up to get something out of me but I really don’t think so. Matty said Her Dad HATES the DA because he wanted to let Matty play high school and get to have that experience. My Dad Herm is pretty cool about DA. He says parents who argue and cry about the DA and ECNL teams especially literally never played sports at a high level. Dad should know cause he played Varsity Baseball at Purdue for all 4 years and said the parents had nothing to do with any coach decisions and didn't put out any 'crapola' online for people to get upset about.
                      Anyway, Before Matty went off to History class she brought me to her locker and pulled out, guess what ? Nutella GO! And gave me one! I couldn’t believe it – maybe it’s a sign my luck is changing again! Matty was actually the one who got me into Nutella because of the Hazel – nut. That’s whats she called me sometimes but its not on Instagram or Snap - I don’t want that getting out HERE! Life is hard enough without a sucky nickname in high school.
                      Matty got hELLA tall – I haven’t seen her since she went to ECNL and I went to DA. We’re like in totally different galaxies. I’m into galaxies now because my Dad watched Neil Degrasse Tyson and hes really rad on astronomy. "Its so COSMIC" is what I have started to say but it hasn’t caught on yet with my friends. Of course Matty had the DUMB team shirt on today because they are playing tonight - there are cheesy POSTERs all over the hallways too. AGAIN! Twice a week during the week and they have their weekends FREE to hangout. I’ve stopped caring super super much because I actually like playing on Saturday a lot. Soccer and Saturday go together!
                      I’m literally NOT worrying about who starts on Saturday against the Miners :). My Dad was right and said whatever happens hes behind me 100% and if someone isn’t picked they have to work on their game is all.
                      I’m gonna try back heel today at practice! Coach is gonna hate it if I fail but so what! I do not care after today. I will pick the right moment. The future is mine.

Comment

Like NO friggin’ way could I have predicted what would happen today at lunch. Will Roosevelt came by MY Locker today! Well what I thought was going to be MY locker and only mine. Our locker was open and I was getting my folder out for Block and there he was, “Mr. Perfecto”, Will Roosevelt. He looked straight through me and didn’t even acknowledge my existence! I finally moved my head back as they were talking and twitched both my eyebrows sharply upwards as if to say “HELLO” Dude?! He literally eked out a meek “Hi Hazel” and then HE started talking to Batzelford about their math class that apparently they have together. Laughing, snickering and commiserating about the teacher. I guess the teacher was talking about math in ‘nature’ and something about a SNAIL and a logarithmic spiral. I thought I was the only kid who knew about the logarithmic spiral cause my Dad is really a super nerd and spent an hour once at Cape Kiwanda talking to us about the logarithmic spiral in some prehistoric looking snail shell my brother found on the beach. There is some kind of cream beer that he likes near that beach and I think he might have been drinking that day. Hes not an alcoholic Ok! so I wont have that drama in my life thank God, but drinking a beer does open him up a little bit in some interesting ways sometimes.
                        Ok I digress. Anyway, so I am now for sure positive that Will has taken a liking to Batzelford which is like an ULTIMATE DISS to my self esteem. He looked straight through me and didn’t even acknowledge my existence (OK I know I said that already) and continued to talk with the BAT. Oooohh I do like that nickname! Especially with her batty little sharp teeth! OMG perfect. And Will is NOT ALL THAT anyway. His AXE shampoo is SO friggin' obvious! My brother uses that and it literally stinks up the whole HOUSE! So friggin’ odiferous if that is even a word. And the ‘GREEN NEWS’ magazine and a friggin’ WATERMELON JUUL is sitting in the locker its such a nightmare! Did you know the JUUL package says "WELLNESS POD"!!!!! – a friggin joke – they are LITERALLY killing KIDS, right!?
                        DA Boys is really going downhill. I heard they’re losing players to football now. Lanny and Winston Matthews both quit and are playing JV. And Will was wearing his EMIRATES jersey again AS IF- Literally Pathetic!
                        ===============================================
                        I had a free block and I saw Matty Suarez! Shes playing in ECNL and was on my team like 2 years ago before the stupid age split thing. We hugged and then talked in the quad and I found out she was thinking about DA for next year! It took a little to get that from her but me and her always got along. We both played mid field back then. I was defensive and she was up. She told me NOT to tell anyone about the DA possibility so I have to keep my lips SEALED. WHO knows still she might have been buttering me up to get something out of me but I really don’t think so. Matty said Her Dad HATES the DA because he wanted to let Matty play high school and get to have that experience. My Dad Herm is pretty cool about DA. He says parents who argue and cry about the DA and ECNL teams especially literally never played sports at a high level. Dad should know cause he played Varsity Baseball at Purdue for all 4 years and said the parents had nothing to do with any coach decisions and didn't put out any 'crapola' online for people to get upset about.
                        Anyway, Before Matty went off to History class she brought me to her locker and pulled out, guess what ? Nutella GO! And gave me one! I couldn’t believe it – maybe it’s a sign my luck is changing again! Matty was actually the one who got me into Nutella because of the Hazel – nut. That’s whats she called me sometimes but its not on Instagram or Snap - I don’t want that getting out HERE! Life is hard enough without a sucky nickname in high school.
                        Matty got hELLA tall – I haven’t seen her since she went to ECNL and I went to DA. We’re like in totally different galaxies. I’m into galaxies now because my Dad watched Neil Degrasse Tyson and hes really rad on astronomy. "Its so COSMIC" is what I have started to say but it hasn’t caught on yet with my friends. Of course Matty had the DUMB team shirt on today because they are playing tonight - there are cheesy POSTERs all over the hallways too. AGAIN! Twice a week during the week and they have their weekends FREE to hangout. I’ve stopped caring super super much because I actually like playing on Saturday a lot. Soccer and Saturday go together!
                        I’m literally NOT worrying about who starts on Saturday against the Miners :). My Dad was right and said whatever happens hes behind me 100% and if someone isn’t picked they have to work on their game is all.
                        I’m gonna try back heel today at practice! Coach is gonna hate it if I fail but so what! I do not care after today. I will pick the right moment. The future is mine.
                        "The saga of Hazel" my new guilty pleasure.

Comment

I knew her mom early in college. She was nice. Real nice to me. Lots of good times. She was still innocent when I first met her. She was weak for 101 turkey sours and they got her worked up real bad. She was beautiful but crazy.

Never a long term prospect but she was a real party back in those days.

This might be the dumbest thread in the history of Talking Soccer. That is saying something.

Comment

This might be the dumbest thread in the history of Talking Soccer. That is saying something.
                            Yeah sure its goofy but what about this snippet?

"My Dad Herm is pretty cool about DA. He says parents who argue and cry about the DA and ECNL teams especially literally never played sports at a high level. Dad should know cause he played Varsity Baseball at Purdue for all 4 years and said the parents had nothing to do with any coach decisions and didn't put out any 'crapola' online for people to get upset about."

There's some serious truth here. Hazel has got that down cold. Pretty clear that our kids just want to play the game. Keep bringing it Hazel, kinda like your style. Good luck against the miners!

Comment

Thanks Captain Obvious!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X