Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes, in the beginning there was an intention on having some kids rostered for both in both FC Fury and LISC. But as you pointed out, ECNL brought the hammer down and EM had to separate itself from LISC. And that is my point, their original plans had to be pushed aside.
    How could a player possibly do both even if the league did not care? Practices, games and travel would absolutely conflict and the travel costs would be even more astronomical then they already are. Not to mention there is conflict over playing time already. Having a part timer come in and get time over the full timers paying full freight is a recipe for an unhappy team.

Comment

How could a player possibly do both even if the league did not care? Practices, games and travel would absolutely conflict and the travel costs would be even more astronomical then they already are. Not to mention there is conflict over playing time already. Having a part timer come in and get time over the full timers paying full freight is a recipe for an unhappy team.
      I didn't say it was the best idea in the world, but there was certainly an intention on mixing players with the ECNL and GDA programs.

Comment

I didn't say it was the best idea in the world, but there was certainly an intention on mixing players with the ECNL and GDA programs.
        That...and I'm sure they expected a higher level of interest than what they actually got.

Comment

GDA has strict rules about rosters, registered players and discovery players. If clubs thought they were going to pull that off they probably then realized it wasn't so easy once they studied the rules. They probably also saw the player pools weren't deep enough. It's pretty much a one-or-the-other decision for all but the top mega clubs that have player depth. Even then my understanding you're on one team or the other. It won't be a typical A/B team mingling like with other leagues

Comment

GDA has strict rules about rosters, registered players and discovery players. If clubs thought they were going to pull that off they probably then realized it wasn't so easy once they studied the rules. They probably also saw the player pools weren't deep enough. It's pretty much a one-or-the-other decision for all but the top mega clubs that have player depth. Even then my understanding you're on one team or the other. It won't be a typical A/B team mingling like with other leagues
            Well duh us soccer. The player pool that can afford the high fees and heavy expensive travel is not that deep. You knew that and you knew that without holding down costs, you would not increase the size of the pool of players you wanted. The gda award was not given to any local clubs committed to reducing costs so there is not a big pool. Obviously the player pool was not the primary consideration in the gda roll out.

Comment

If I haven't made myself clear, they didn't intend on following the rules.

BTW, NPL has the same rule about if you play NPL you will only NPL, and everyone ignores it.

Comment

Well duh us soccer. The player pool that can afford the high fees and heavy expensive travel is not that deep. You knew that and you knew that without holding down costs, you would not increase the size of the pool of players you wanted. The gda award was not given to any local clubs committed to reducing costs so there is not a big pool. Obviously the player pool was not the primary consideration in the gda roll out.
                Of course not - USSF wants to get rid of ECNL. That's why many of their club-flag plants are more about grabbing territory rather than quality.

Comment

Has LISC started practicing? I ran into some folks and they confirmed that a bunch of players left LISC in the past few weeks.

Comment

Nobody should expect much from the GDA programs the first year.

Older girls didn't want to jump ship from their existing teams in the middle of college recruiting and many of the girls at all ages aren't sure they want to give up HS ball.
                    Not trying to be rude, but most older girls of real quality are committed

Comment

Of course not - USSF wants to get rid of ECNL. That's why many of their club-flag plants are more about grabbing territory rather than quality.
                      Really? So what quality clubs did they ignore? Would you prefer an ECNL monopoly that makes its own rules and charges whatever it wants?

Comment

Really? So what quality clubs did they ignore? Would you prefer an ECNL monopoly that makes its own rules and charges whatever it wants?
                        lol vs GDA which still is expensive, some clubs don't follow the guidelines and USSF looks the other way, same coaching, tons of travel, no pro path (not that any girls want it anyway)? GDA is just slapping a new badge on the same thing. It won't improve US soccer - it has barely moved the dial in ten years on the boys side and what little improvement has been driven almost exclusively by the MLS clubs who would split from DA in a heartbeat if they could manage the geography.

Comment

lol vs GDA which still is expensive, some clubs don't follow the guidelines and USSF looks the other way, same coaching, tons of travel, no pro path (not that any girls want it anyway)? GDA is just slapping a new badge on the same thing. It won't improve US soccer - it has barely moved the dial in ten years on the boys side and what little improvement has been driven almost exclusively by the MLS clubs who would split from DA in a heartbeat if they could manage the geography.
                          They didn't slap a new badge on the same thing, seeing as neither GDA or ECNL will ever be as strong as ECNL in its heyday.

Figure most ECNL teams splintered with supposed top players sliding over to GDA and GDA clubs supplementing rosters with ECNL bench warmers and other players from various NE NPL teams...basically kids who weren't strong enough to make ECNL in the first place.

Then you have the ECNL side, where most teams have lost top 2-3 players and also added players from various ne NPL teams (see description above).

Then of course there are the non ECNL clubs that are now fielding GDA teams, only thing is, none of these clubs were dominant in their previous leagues (I.E.-Massapequa, NYSC, Brentwood) . To be fair, Massapequa, NYSC probably have a few players here and there that may have made a GDA roster somewhere else, but those players are few and far between and certainly not enough to build a strong foundation. The only players Brentwood had were the KK Atletico players that would throw on a Brentwood jersey when they played NPL and most of those kids left for East Meadow.

And if you think this is all NYE specific, it's not. Take a gander at the Mass forum, same BS going on at BBA and Stars. Then take a look at the CT forum, same chat about OW, FSA and CFC...

Comment

They didn't slap a new badge on the same thing, seeing as neither GDA or ECNL will ever be as strong as ECNL in its heyday.

Figure most ECNL teams splintered with supposed top players sliding over to GDA and GDA clubs supplementing rosters with ECNL bench warmers and other players from various NE NPL teams...basically kids who weren't strong enough to make ECNL in the first place.

Then you have the ECNL side, where most teams have lost top 2-3 players and also added players from various ne NPL teams (see description above).

Then of course there are the non ECNL clubs that are now fielding GDA teams, only thing is, none of these clubs were dominant in their previous leagues (I.E.-Massapequa, NYSC, Brentwood) . To be fair, Massapequa, NYSC probably have a few players here and there that may have made a GDA roster somewhere else, but those players are few and far between and certainly not enough to build a strong foundation. The only players Brentwood had were the KK Atletico players that would throw on a Brentwood jersey when they played NPL and most of those kids left for East Meadow.

And if you think this is all NYE specific, it's not. Take a gander at the Mass forum, same BS going on at BBA and Stars. Then take a look at the CT forum, same chat about OW, FSA and CFC...
                            All you are saying is there are not enough quality players in spite of the $$ spent by parents. Yes - I agree

The central issue is do you want the USSF regulating the Clubs or not ? Do you like the founding members of the ECNL controlling girls Club soccer? You probably do if you are at one of those clubs because it tilts things your way in so many subtle and not so subtle ways.

It does surprise me that many people seem so happy with the ECNL running things.

Comment

All you are saying is there are not enough quality players in spite of the $$ spent by parents. Yes - I agree

The central issue is do you want the USSF regulating the Clubs or not ? Do you like the founding members of the ECNL controlling girls Club soccer? You probably do if you are at one of those clubs because it tilts things your way in so many subtle and not so subtle ways.

It does surprise me that many people seem so happy with the ECNL running things.
                              Don't get me wrong, I don't think ECNL was the end all or be all either, it's just that GDA has now forced 2 "top leagues" to be diluted to the nth degree.

Neither one of my girls play(ed) ECNL. My oldest (currently plays strong level D1 in college) did it the old fashioned way on a strong USYS team and ODP and my younger one is a lax head who plays NPL because the commitment and schedule is more forgiving and allows her to still play soccer while chasing her lax dreams.

Comment

Definitely a great deal of dilution, which, in the end, won't help women's soccer. We don't suddenly have another league's worth of "top" players that will pop out of the woodwork. The player pool is pretty finite; same with good coaching. It's just rearranging the deck chairs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X