Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing clubs

If we are interested in changing clubs, when is the best time to contact the new clubs we'd like to check out? Start of the spring season?

Get conversations going once the fall season ends. Winter slows down, and when we did we reached out just after the new year. We did a practice or two a week when they didn't conflict with the current club. So, when tryouts started for the new club, we weren't considered an unknown and it's easier to make the team then. Also, you can get a feel for the team before deciding.

Do not wait and just show up for tryouts in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Get conversations going once the fall season ends. Winter slows down, and when we did we reached out just after the new year. We did a practice or two a week when they didn't conflict with the current club. So, when tryouts started for the new club, we weren't considered an unknown and it's easier to make the team then. Also, you can get a feel for the team before deciding.

Do not wait and just show up for tryouts in June.
      Great, thanks. We are definitely trying to avoid just showing up at tryouts. Will start reaching out after the holidays.

Comment

If you are sure that you want to switch, then yeah after the Fall season is over is a good time to start checking out other clubs. At this point you can "shop" in a leisurely fashion because Tryouts aren't until June, although most clubs will look to solidify their teams a couple of weeks or so before that. . If you're not sure you want to switch then I would wait until Feb/March and see how things play out with your current club before spending a lot of time and energy on searching for something new. When my kid switched I talked to a couple of different clubs, researched what I could about the target teams and coaches, and had my kid train with their teams a couple of times. We even went to a couple of their games to see how the team and coach performed during the games, to make sure it was the right fit. In the end my kid had a spot on the new team several weeks before the tryouts even happened.

Comment

If you want to switch before the spring season starts then reach out near the end of the fall season. You will likely be invited to a late fall practice to determine skill level and fit or a winter training session. I think my sons club has already had or has schedule a "free skills clinic" open to everyone.

Comment

If you want to switch before the spring season starts then reach out near the end of the fall season. You will likely be invited to a late fall practice to determine skill level and fit or a winter training session. I think my sons club has already had or has schedule a "free skills clinic" open to everyone.
            Are players allowed to switch before spring?

Comment

Are players allowed to switch before spring?
              Yes and no. When you signed up for Club you should've signed a 1 year contract. If you did then you're probably on the hook for full year of tuition, but that doesn't prevent you from being able to leave and go join another club. And you may be able to get the new club to float you 1/2 tuition (depending on how bad they want your kid) OR get the old club to give you a break on 1/2 year tuition if you leave...but that could depend on why you're leaving early and not giving them a full year to develop your kid.

Comment

Yes and no. When you signed up for Club you should've signed a 1 year contract. If you did then you're probably on the hook for full year of tuition, but that doesn't prevent you from being able to leave and go join another club. And you may be able to get the new club to float you 1/2 tuition (depending on how bad they want your kid) OR get the old club to give you a break on 1/2 year tuition if you leave...but that could depend on why you're leaving early and not giving them a full year to develop your kid.
                Got it. I was just curious. We will give it the rest of the year.

Comment

Got it. I was just curious. We will give it the rest of the year.
                  If you're sure you're leaving, don't wait and try to make it work for the spring. There's no point in staying if the coaching is bad, it's a bad fit or your kid is miserable.

Comment

You can’t switch to a club in the same league (i.e. NEP has specific rules on that) and if you are paying in installments they’ll still take your money.

No if you are paid up and going to a different league then I don’t think they can stop you. They won’t care-they got your money.

I’m the advocate for honoring a contract and commitment to a team are important lessons.

Comment

You can’t switch to a club in the same league (i.e. NEP has specific rules on that) and if you are paying in installments they’ll still take your money.

No if you are paid up and going to a different league then I don’t think they can stop you. They won’t care-they got your money.

I’m the advocate for honoring a contract and commitment to a team are important lessons.
                      While I normally agree with your last statement, sometimes the situation can be so bad it isn't worth it (horrifically bad coaching or the kid is so miserable they want to quit altogether). Some clubs will let you out if you approach them politely and with valid reasons. You may still be on the hook for but they'll at least release you to play at another club in the same league (this assumes they're not diks and some clubs are run by diks). Obviously a different league doesn't matter for the release but your contract my obligate you to pay.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X