Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have worked with Cony since he can to Oregon.

Sure, he is strong willed and colorful language. They are other coaches out there with the same faults/strengths.

One thing that drive a lot of people nuts, he tells you want he sees without any sugar to make it go down easy. Life sucks.

Competitive Soccer is a hard business. Some Parents are crazy (maybe more than some) and Kids thinks this is still Rec Soccer.

My kids have worked with him and they know where they stand at all times. No lies or fairy tales. My daughter has not issues working with him.

So. Live sucks. I know that Cony will laugh that this Crap being said about him. What does not kill you will make you stronger.
    I really don't know this coach in particular other than what I've heard/read, so this is not directed at him (although the shoe may fit?), but I love you parents who defend the coaches who use "colorful language". Do you really NOT believe there are coaches out there who can teach kids great soccer by instructing them, giving them constructive criticism, being real with them, all while the kids still ENJOY the game? Seriously? You think coaches have to curse at kids and belittle them in order to teach them about the "hard business" of competitive soccer? I hate to tell you this but my kid has a coach that can tell her she's made a mistake (without belittling her), teach her how to correct that mistake, all while she learns the game and still loves the game. A great coach doesn't have to scream, berate and curse to get his point across, much less make a 12/13yr old girl feel like garbage. My older daughter is well above this age group and has played on a state championship team as well as a very competitive ODP team so she knows what competitive soccer is and it didn't take a ridiculous coach who curses and belittles to get her where she is. A tough coach with high expectations of his players is one thing, but you parents that think your kids need to be screamed at and cursed at to learn good soccer....wow...there is a better way.

Comment

What???

Atencio has done very impressive work with the club in fairly short order. You may not like his style, but how can you argue with his results? The guy has a vision too.

Bain is fine, too. But don't take what THUSC has accomplished for granted.
      Tom impressive at stealing kids chunks of players from teams in salem, vancouver, mcminville, etc.. For this reason he is not respected by his peers. Give me a break he nothing better than a used car salesman.

Comment

Tom has a reputation of recruiting but I can tell you we approached him and I know several others that have approached him but he got blamed for the almight recruiting which they all do.. get over it

Comment

Tom impressive at stealing kids chunks of players from teams in salem, vancouver, mcminville, etc.. For this reason he is not respected by his peers. Give me a break he nothing better than a used car salesman.
          Don't know Tom but this sounds a lot like cony. Calling players DURING league from all over the area. Putting calls in to parents who did NOT approach him. Going to them unsolicited trying to recruit. Wonder how his current players/parents felt about that if they knew. Classy.

Comment

Don't know Tom but this sounds a lot like cony. Calling players DURING league from all over the area. Putting calls in to parents who did NOT approach him. Going to them unsolicited trying to recruit. Wonder how his current players/parents felt about that if they knew. Classy.
            My child is a current player for Tom and we are highly impressed with him. His coaching style is tremendous and he is really good with the kids. If he is recruiting talented players then I say more power to him. The more talent on the team the harder they all have to work. If players are coming over then they obviously weren't happy with their current situation.

Comment

I don't think it's stealing if the parents and players want to come play for THUSC. If the past club made them happy they wouldn't of left. Simple as that.

Comment

What age group does Tom coach?

Comment

What age group does Tom coach?
                  Whichever one is winning at the time. Funny, but if you are in the club you know the statement is true.

Comment

What Salem tean lost players to TOM?

Comment

Cony will not be coaching the WSM U-14 Boys next year, word is that job is going to the current ODP Boys' 97's. "Rumor" has it that he's colorful with his language, but he gets results, look at his record for wins. Competitive soccer is tough. The kids can usually handle the truth - it's the parents that can't. He definitely favors hispanic players and promotes and recruits them to whatever club he's coaching at the time. He's also a huge proponent of scholarships, so don't look for him to recruit and bring $ into the club. His reputation speaks for itself. He's been around a long time, same as Rilatt who by the way didn't last long at WUSC either, due to too many big egos at that club. He's doing great at Eastside by the way and he's colorful too, but one heck of a coach! PS - stay in Rec if you "parents" can't handle the truth......

Comment

[....... but he gets results, look at his record for wins.

Majority of DOC's get results, because they choose the top teams at their clubs. There's not many DOC's that "get it". In fact, I've never met one yet.

Comment

[....... but he gets results, look at his record for wins.

Majority of DOC's get results, because they choose the top teams at their clubs. There's not many DOC's that "get it". In fact, I've never met one yet.
                          You've more chance of seeing Elvis!!!!!!

Comment

Cony is not even with the team in question anymore. Yes Cony did get kicked out of a NWCL game but not for language but for telling the guy to do his job. I love how people get on here with half truths about coaches and players.
                            This is true. My daughter plays for the Rage and we were at this game. Cony was protecting his players from getting injured.

Comment

This is true. My daughter plays for the Rage and we were at this game. Cony was protecting his players from getting injured.
                              I can appreciate a coach wanting to have his/her word with a ref about the safety of their team, but what ever he said was not well received and landed him on the bus headed home early that weekend. There is a way to both. Stand your ground, make your point, let the ref know that things have gone too far....then SHUT UP. Class and tactfulness will out weigh being belligerent every time. It sends the wrong message to your players, parents and opposing team about your team/club.

There is no excuse for a coach to be Red carded this way in youth soccer PERIOD !!!

Comment

There is no excuse for a coach to be Red carded this way in youth soccer PERIOD !!!
                                Know the facts first. For all you know the ref had the ego.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X