Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s been very disappointing. No longer an interesting option.
    Is someone twisting your arm ? don't like it, don't do it !

Comment

There is big bucks in club soccer. Lots of jobs depend on parents paying for their kids to play. The DA/GDA takes money out of the pockets of local clubs. Some clubs embrace the develop of the player to a higher level, others want to hold your child back for their financial gain.

It is easy to see what clubs are in it for the kids and what clubs are in it for themselves.
      ECNL is on life support. Are parents willing to spend $10,000 per year to play second tier competition?

Comment

I am from a TA club, and will try to answer a few questions

Timbers/Thorns do not demand players. Players are free to tryout for the DA/GDA on their own accord. The clubs still operate separately from the Timbers but cooperate with the Timbers organization to the benefit of the players. I suppose the history is WST and EST have been where most of the players come from, but both boys progrmas still remain some of the top teams when state cup rolls around. It show the system works and both WST, EST, DA are sending players on to college and a home grown player or two. I think FC PDX sent a few players to the DA last year?

I feel fine about the GDA. The Portland Timbers/Thorns has made a national travel model very affordable and is more inclusive than the ECNL. The Boys program is basically free. While OYSA fees have not increased much, the Portland Timbers/Thonrs have implemented both a DA/GDA program. The most generous person in soccer is MP and I think it makes people uneasy that his organization has made these programs accessible to everyone in a largely pay to play model.

I like the TA and don't feel like I have to hold the Timbers/Thorns accountable for anything. The TA clubs run themselves.

Not sure why you would say the TA clubs are rolling over. The TA clubs are doing well. The WT have a very nice three field lighted complex, the EST are opening a 3 field lighted complex and WST are still a top club. Seems like the TA clubs are doing just fine.
        100% agree here. Our DD is on Thorns and did not come from an alliance club. Our experience has been positive so far.

Comment

ECNL is on life support. Are parents willing to spend $10,000 per year to play second tier competition?
          Looks like top tier competition in Texas this weekend. What top tier teams are in the Thornz league? Burlingame?

Comment

Looks like top tier competition in Texas this weekend. What top tier teams are in the Thornz league? Burlingame?
            Sadly, none of them (Top Tier Teams) are from Oregon.

Same ole, Same ole.

'Houston, we have a Problem!'

Comment

Same ole, Same ole.

The problem is Oregon, not this league vs that league.

Comment

Most are “B “ teams.

Comment

Same ole, Same ole.

Answering your own questions. Same ol', same ol'.

Comment

TA intern working overtime tonight

This thread is adorable. Whatever the Timbers intern is being paid, double it.

A few points:

In spite of what some of you believe, the TA is more than Westside, Eastside, and Vancouver. Ask Salem, Bend, Eugene, and Medford how they feel. Ask them how well supported they've been by the alliance. Ask them how they are handling the increased card and league fees. Ask them how they feel about ODP coaches telling players from these outlying areas they are getting substandard coaching and have no hope to make it to the next level unless they leave their hometown clubs and spend most of their high school years driving up and down I5.

Our club has had a few players go to Timbers academy, a few go to Thorns academy, and a few go to ECNL. Many of the boy and some of the girl academy players have returned to our club. Nobody feels "betrayed" by those players or their individual decisions. Go play wherever your kid wants and make the life choices you want. But it is painfully obvious that the academy system, especially on the girls side, is attempting to grow their program by badmouthing the very feeder clubs they expect to send them players. This is unethical at best, and shows the underlying fatal flaw of the Thorns GDA. The powers that be don't believe in their product. They know that if it wasn't practically free, they wouldn't be able to field a single team that was remotely close to competitive. More and more parents are figuring out that the old adage "free has no value" is true, and are also realizing that the sacrifices required to play GDA are pretty extreme, when there are other quality options available for girls in Oregon.

And honestly, all of that is fine. Businesses often use questionable practices to grow their business. Buyer beware. But what I object to, and literally every other soccer parent I know objects to, is our soccer fees being used to underwrite a program that is built on bashing our club, our coaches, and our players.

Comment

A few points:

In spite of what some of you believe, the TA is more than Westside, Eastside, and Vancouver. Ask Salem, Bend, Eugene, and Medford how they feel. Ask them how well supported they've been by the alliance. Ask them how they are handling the increased card and league fees. Ask them how they feel about ODP coaches telling players from these outlying areas they are getting substandard coaching and have no hope to make it to the next level unless they leave their hometown clubs and spend most of their high school years driving up and down I5.

Our club has had a few players go to Timbers academy, a few go to Thorns academy, and a few go to ECNL. Many of the boy and some of the girl academy players have returned to our club. Nobody feels "betrayed" by those players or their individual decisions. Go play wherever your kid wants and make the life choices you want. But it is painfully obvious that the academy system, especially on the girls side, is attempting to grow their program by badmouthing the very feeder clubs they expect to send them players. This is unethical at best, and shows the underlying fatal flaw of the Thorns GDA. The powers that be don't believe in their product. They know that if it wasn't practically free, they wouldn't be able to field a single team that was remotely close to competitive. More and more parents are figuring out that the old adage "free has no value" is true, and are also realizing that the sacrifices required to play GDA are pretty extreme, when there are other quality options available for girls in Oregon.

And honestly, all of that is fine. Businesses often use questionable practices to grow their business. Buyer beware. But what I object to, and literally every other soccer parent I know objects to, is our soccer fees being used to underwrite a program that is built on bashing our club, our coaches, and our players.
                      If I'm an intern, they don't pay me enough.

1) card and league fees paid to OYSA have nothing to do with the Alliance. Alliance clubs are free to leave at any time.

2) prospects from remote areas will have a harder time if they stay home. This is not due to coaching quality so much as quality of teammates and the surrounding soccer culture. You don't learn anything being the biggest fish in a small pond; at some point you need to find a bigger pond. (Or play a LOT with older kids).

This is the same reason that Seattle is better than Portland, and California is better than Seattle, and Germany or Spain better than anywhere in the US.

Clubs should be honored when they send players to the next level. (I will agree that more credit should be given to feeder clubs). That's how my Alliance club views this--if players move to Timbers Academy, it is celebrated, not treated as grand larceny.

Some people seem to resent any suggestion that their neighborhood club isn't at the top of the pyramid.

Comment

Nobody cares anymore. We had a couple players from our club experiment with the thorns and it wasn’t a good experience.

The thorns interns trying to recruit players is annoying but not a big deal. It’s like trying to sell someone a used car nobody wants.
                        It’s been very disappointing. No hard feelings but it is what it is.

Comment

A few points:

This poster speaks the truth. Top it off with the FACT that the Timbers have been shopping the GDA after only a year. Granted it has been a massive failure. They are having a tough time getting a sucker to pick it up because no club can afford subsidize it the way it was this year and the Timbers have no intention to continue subsidizing again next year. So in typical Timbers fashion, they stick to bashing alternatives.

Comment

This poster speaks the truth. Top it off with the FACT that the Timbers have been shopping the GDA after only a year. Granted it has been a massive failure. They are having a tough time getting a sucker to pick it up because no club can afford subsidize it the way it was this year and the Timbers have no intention to continue subsidizing again next year. So in typical Timbers fashion, they stick to bashing alternatives.
                            Truth?

Another fictional narrative to laugh at.

Boring and Tired, like always.

Come on, is that all your imagination can muster.

Comment

Truth?

Another fictional narrative to laugh at.

Boring and Tired, like always.

Come on, is that all your imagination can muster.
                              Just wait and see. You will find out with the rest of the schmucks soon enough.

Comment

Ecnl ?

"And honestly, all of that is fine. Businesses often use questionable practices to grow their business. Buyer beware. But what I object to, and literally every other soccer parent I know objects to, is our soccer fees being used to underwrite a program that is built on bashing our club, our coaches, and our players."

Was this post referring to the ECNL when it started ? Here is the fact. ECNL lines their pockets, GDA invest in our youth.

You make the choice

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X