Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to New Hampshire

Our family is moving to New Hampshire from Texas this summer. We are looking at houses in a few areas - SAU 16, Oyster River, Bedford, and Hollis-Brookline are our current school districts/areas of focus. We have a 2008 daughter (she will be entering 5th grade when we move) who loves soccer and has been playing club soccer for the last couple of years. We are trying to research some different clubs/programs in New Hampshire and would appreciate any insight/advice (would love to get your school district/town opinions as well if you don't mind). Our daughter is a good player by Texas standards, but I really have no idea how she will compare to girls her age in the Northeast. Soccer in Texas is either rec or club and the season is long and things are taken pretty seriously, even at the younger ages. I noticed some programs in New Hampshire have a rec program but also a travel team program; I assume the travel team is more competitive than rec but not as competitive as club? For clubs, I have been on the Seacoast United and GPS websites. We aren't moving until after the school year ends in early June. Can anyone give me an idea of when tryouts typically occur? We are hoping to have her participate in some summer camps and of course will have to just visit with some programs to see which might be a good fit. But, would definitely appreciate any advice that may help us narrow things down a bit.
    Thank you!!

Originally posted by TXSoccerTransplant View Post
    Our family is moving to New Hampshire from Texas this summer. We are looking at houses in a few areas - SAU 16, Oyster River, Bedford, and Hollis-Brookline are our current school districts/areas of focus. We have a 2008 daughter (she will be entering 5th grade when we move) who loves soccer and has been playing club soccer for the last couple of years. We are trying to research some different clubs/programs in New Hampshire and would appreciate any insight/advice (would love to get your school district/town opinions as well if you don't mind). Our daughter is a good player by Texas standards, but I really have no idea how she will compare to girls her age in the Northeast. Soccer in Texas is either rec or club and the season is long and things are taken pretty seriously, even at the younger ages. I noticed some programs in New Hampshire have a rec program but also a travel team program; I assume the travel team is more competitive than rec but not as competitive as club? For clubs, I have been on the Seacoast United and GPS websites. We aren't moving until after the school year ends in early June. Can anyone give me an idea of when tryouts typically occur? We are hoping to have her participate in some summer camps and of course will have to just visit with some programs to see which might be a good fit. But, would definitely appreciate any advice that may help us narrow things down a bit.
    Thank you!!
    Look at Amherst. Beautiful town. Great schools.

Tryouts are usually in June.

Comment

Bedford, Amherst, and Hollis are all beautiful towns with excellent school systems. The closest competitive club soccer would be GPS NH in Bedford which plays in the NEP and NPL leagues and the next step up from that would be FC Stars in Lancaster, MA which also has ECNL and GDA teams.

Comment

I would reach out to each club ahead of time (like now) as pseudo-tryouts are already underway. Not officially, as those are in June, but I know players who get in touch ahead of time and will even take in trainings during the spring. While teams aren't set before tryouts, they do usually have a pretty good idea. 2nd-3rd week of June is when they take place.

While you can get to either club's main locations within a reasonable amount of time (i.e. an hour), where you end up may help to drive your decision. Seacoast will better serve you looking at Oyster River area; Bedford, Amherst would be more likely for GPS. NEFC/WC is based out of Northern Ma, just outside Nashua. FC Stars are building their NH program, but if there is talent going to their main club in Lancaster, MA is where you will end up. From the Amherst area, it's not bad to get to.

Smaller clubs have travel and rec. The travel play in lower leagues than the clubs, in some cases 5 levels below. You will find from my experiences that while it's just as crazy, it's probably a little step down from what you see in TX. I base that on the few people I know who have lived there, after moving here they are typically stronger players. That's a broad stroke and not scientific, so lots of areas to be wrong I know....

Comment

Thank you!!
          I moved here from NC about 9 years ago - you will find the club structure here different. GPS is by far the top club program in NH. This is located out of Bedford area. As far as Seacoast United, they are good IF you join the right branch of the club. The club out of Epping / Lee area is their best group. The Concord area group is ok, but coaching turnover in that branch is constant. My daughter plays with GPS in their upper group and competes in the Futsal New Hampshire Program for winter. I would suggest GPS 1st, Seacoast (Epping group) 2nd. ODP in New Hampshire is NOT what you might have seen in Texas, stick with the two clubs mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I moved here from NC about 9 years ago - you will find the club structure here different. GPS is by far the top club program in NH. This is located out of Bedford area. As far as Seacoast United, they are good IF you join the right branch of the club. The club out of Epping / Lee area is their best group. The Concord area group is ok, but coaching turnover in that branch is constant. My daughter plays with GPS in their upper group and competes in the Futsal New Hampshire Program for winter. I would suggest GPS 1st, Seacoast (Epping group) 2nd. ODP in New Hampshire is NOT what you might have seen in Texas, stick with the two clubs mentioned.
            OP has a 2008 girl.

If you are talking about Boys, one could argue GPS is better. They don't have DA, but across the board it's obvious they put their resources into the Boys program. The Girls program has gone downhill and fast. Massive talent drain in the last year. I was actually told by a different club that GPS only has a girls program to help finance the Boys. It came from a club not mentioned here, but I know it was someone in the know.

Years ago they were the best, but over the last couple of years there's been a serious talent drain. There isn't a GPS team that can compete with Seacoast teams right now. A look at the standings and divisions they play in (and head-to-head on the off-chance they are actually in the same division) will tell you that.

And, yes, referring to Epping for Seacoast and Bedford for GPS. Both have other locations, but their "top" teams are centered in each of those locations.

As their daughter gets older, and if the level supports it, getting into Stars out of Lancaster Mass is a consideration. Drives up the travel and costs, but they offer the most opportunities in the most higher-level leagues than anyone really in New England.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you so much for all the feedback. We really appreciate it. Moving cross country is a huge undertaking but finding a place where our daughter can play the sport she loves and make some new friends will hopefully make the transition a little easier.

Comment

Thank you so much for all the feedback. We really appreciate it. Moving cross country is a huge undertaking but finding a place where our daughter can play the sport she loves and make some new friends will hopefully make the transition a little easier.
                Good luck with everything. I'm sure there's some angst but getting into what's familiar (i.e. the pitch) will help her out. I will mention again to get in touch sooner than later and take in practices from a few different clubs to see. While travel won't be the only factor, it's always a consideration (i.e. I know some people living close to GPS who travel an hour to other clubs; and I know people who live near the seacoast who travel to GPS and others as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  We have had experiences with both clubs and our experience with Seacoast has been far superior to GPS. It looks Seacoast girls are the top team across all the age groups for the most part according to gotsoccer state and national rankings. If you are looking at Bedford, Hollis-GPS is definitely closer and more convenient. The main Seacoast branch trains out of Epping during fall and spring and Hampton during the winter.

Comment

Thank you!!
                    FC Stars out of Lancaster, MA. That might work as well if you end up in Hollis as it is on the Massachusetts border.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X