Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Injury Stat Shocking

Thank God my son plays soccer not football.

Explains monsters like OJ...
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/latest...163489718.html

Why would anyone sacrifice their child's health with almost 100% certainty in exchange for a fleeting chance of stardom and dollars? Is this a new form of natural selection underway?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

http://www.idahostatesman.com/latest...163489718.html

Why would anyone sacrifice their child's health with almost 100% certainty in exchange for a fleeting chance of stardom and dollars? Is this a new form of natural selection underway?
    If tobacco can be put out of business why not the NFL?

If a US soldier created this kind of damage in the head of a Gitmo detainee it would be all over the NYT front page, result in criminal charges, international outcry. But it is happening in thousands of mostly minority US citizens and very little discussion aside from an occasional article/study. NFL = $$$..

Get rid of football, soccer is a more civilized and humane sport can replace it both college and professional. Can even use the same stadiums.

Comment

If a US soldier created this kind of damage in the head of a Gitmo detainee it would be all over the NYT front page, result in criminal charges, international outcry. But it is happening in thousands of mostly minority US citizens and very little discussion aside from an occasional article/study. NFL = $$$..

Get rid of football, soccer is a more civilized and humane sport can replace it both college and professional. Can even use the same stadiums.
      You mean keep girl's soccer. Nobody wants to see those pansy boys playing soccer.

Comment

You mean keep girl's soccer. Nobody wants to see those pansy boys playing soccer.
        Better to watch the masculine lesbos on the pitch?

Comment

Signed,
          Never played before, have no idea what I am talking about, and never taken an elbow in the teeth before.

Comment

First, tobacco is not out of business, doing pretty well now that the lawsuits are mostly over. Europe and Asia are huge markets. No comment in Gitmo. Second, everything has consequences and there will likely be those willing to take the risk. Important that we now appreciate the possible damage. However without college football, women's soccer and lacrosse would not supported at most schools so be greatful for that!

Comment

Signed,
              Never played before, have no idea what I am talking about, and never taken an elbow in the teeth before.
              And you sound like someone who has never headed a ball coming at serious velocity. If you did you would be nervous if they ever did a similar study for soccer. There is no way young brains are not being rattled in soccer also.

Comment

And you sound like someone who has never headed a ball coming at serious velocity. If you did you would be nervous if they ever did a similar study for soccer. There is no way young brains are not being rattled in soccer also.
                Big difference between a light as air ball on the head and a 200 pound fullback on the head dont you think? Force equals mass times acceleration - the forces dont compare. Plus headers happen - what - a couple times per game per player at most? In football, head to head happens every single play for most players. Anotehr huge difference. Maybe this why we dont see soccer players murdering people, committing suicide, long car chases from cops, battering wives and girlfriends, bar-fights every other weekend ... not sure how you could compare the two.

Comment

As more information has come out regarding the long term impact of football I'm grateful my wife put her foot down on my sons playing. At the time she was more concerned with just the concussion risk itself (after a family member suffered long term consequences from a bad one). I didn't fight it because I watch my neighbor who played professionally hobble down the driveway with mangled knees. But now it's shown to be far worse. All sports carry risk but clearly football is the worst ( except maybe rugby). Look to see numbers for youth football participation nosedive

Comment

First, tobacco is not out of business, doing pretty well now that the lawsuits are mostly over. Europe and Asia are huge markets. No comment in Gitmo. Second, everything has consequences and there will likely be those willing to take the risk. Important that we now appreciate the possible damage. However without college football, women's soccer and lacrosse would not supported at most schools so be greatful for that!
                    Actually, the lawsuits aren't over or even "mostly over". They are trying cases across the country.

Comment

The statistics are shocking for soccer head/concussion injuries. There are studies involving too much heading at one time. Do you know the coach who focused on heading the entire hour of practice? Wrong way to practice!

Comment

Big difference between a light as air ball on the head and a 200 pound fullback on the head dont you think? Force equals mass times acceleration - the forces dont compare. Plus headers happen - what - a couple times per game per player at most? In football, head to head happens every single play for most players. Anotehr huge difference. Maybe this why we dont see soccer players murdering people, committing suicide, long car chases from cops, battering wives and girlfriends, bar-fights every other weekend ... not sure how you could compare the two.
                        Your 'light as air ball' comment tells you absolutely have never headed a regulation soccer ball coming at speed as many soccer players do on a regular basis in games AS WELL AS IN PRACTICE. The ball is like a brick when hit hard.Go put your head in front of a decent high school players shot (though younger brains suffer even worse) and multiply that by even 10 x per week and get back to me with your opinion. There are many studies on the subject. this is just one:
                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.32588c82b9e9

Comment

Your 'light as air ball' comment tells you absolutely have never headed a regulation soccer ball coming at speed as many soccer players do on a regular basis in games AS WELL AS IN PRACTICE. The ball is like a brick when hit hard.Go put your head in front of a decent high school players shot (though younger brains suffer even worse) and multiply that by even 10 x per week and get back to me with your opinion. There are many studies on the subject. this is just one:
                          Thank you. I was going to say the same thing. Heck my foot hurts when I kick the ball. Correct technique and strengthening neck muscles are important but there are studies that even minor repetitive heading during practice drills is hurting the brain. I've watched the coach do a heading practice that lasted over an hour. Shocking!

Comment

Yes I agree and have had these bell ringers before - especially if you get hit on the side of the head it can produce a concussion, but these are the severe "headers". In football you have several dozens of these heavy bell ringers per game, and in youth soccer, maybe a real bell ringer once every couple/few months. My son can count the number on one hand, and I can remember only a couple in my playing past.

Separate from this is the much higher quantity of every-day headers and how that accumulates - which is not going to be insignificant - but nowhere near what happens in football (obviously). As I said before, there are no news stories of soccer players with mental deficits behaving strangely/violently, killing themselves, etc. as with football. There is also a reason all of the stories are about football head injuries and not soccer head injuries - justifiably there is far more concern about the former (though this doesnt mean the latter doesnt exist, just less acute of a concern).

Comment

OJ is not a monster....you just a mad bi**h because he is going to be a FREE man come October...hehehehehehe

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X