Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well....if the 'angry guy' had something to say that was constructive then I don't think anyone would complain. However, 'anger' just for the sake of being angry has very little constructive or contributing value. It is just a waste of time, space, and energy.

As for soccer being a top ten sport, I doubt that more than 5% of the USA knew that the US beat Jamaica in the CONCACAF final......and with a goal in the 86th minute.
    Because it gets a bit old having people constantly saying how it's not a big deal. If "they" spent as much energy on doing something good in the world vs. fighting something "they" don't like, we'd all be in a better place.

I hate NASCAR. So, you know what I do? I don't watch it.

I hate basketball. So, you know what I do? I don't watch it.

I don't comment on it. I don't fight it. I don't go onto NASCAR and basketball boards to mock it.

As for anger, it's more amusement, with a touch of incredulity that these discussions are still going on when continually proven wrong. It strikes of the line: how can an ostrich tell the weather if his head is in the sand?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Because it gets a bit old having people constantly saying how it's not a big deal. If "they" spent as much energy on doing something good in the world vs. fighting something "they" don't like, we'd all be in a better place.

I don't comment on it. I don't fight it. I don't go onto NASCAR and basketball boards to mock it.

As for anger, it's more amusement, with a touch of incredulity that these discussions are still going on when continually proven wrong. It strikes of the line: how can an ostrich tell the weather if his head is in the sand?
      Did you see the number of fans at the WNT game against Australia? That was depressing and yet there are more girls playing soccer in the US than any other sport.

Comment

Did you see the number of fans at the WNT game against Australia? That was depressing and yet there are more girls playing soccer in the US than any other sport.
        A nothing tournament mid-cycle, mid-week?

I was at the WWC sem-final in Montreal. 60,000 sold out solid.

Comment

which discussions are 'still going on when continually proven wrong'?
          Do you doubt that < 5% of the US knows that the USA won the CONCACAF tournament?
          Fact is, although soccer is a very popular sport among the youth, it is lagging behind on the professional level in many different realms including what is advertised and shown on the media. The ratings for the CONCACAF viewing was miserable. Compared to the 'top four' sports, soccer is still treated like a cult event when it comes to the spotlight.

That might change, but, in this country, it doesn't seem like it is changing too quickly.

As a sport for the youth, I favor it, as well as lacrosse, over any of the others for its inclusiveness, speed, and fitness. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans still crave the 'top four' and constantly talk about their statistics. Haven't you heard the pathetic regurgitation of baseball stats of how a pitcher tends to throw a particular pitch to a particular batter more on a Tuesday than a Thursday??? Soccer has nothing like this and therefore, discussions about soccer games are quick and over while those of other sports linger on for years......

So....angry man....take your head out of the sand and try to understand what happens around you.....

Comment

A nothing tournament mid-cycle, mid-week?

I was at the WWC sem-final in Montreal. 60,000 sold out solid.
            And how many were Canadian? Probably 2/3s

Comment

which discussions are 'still going on when continually proven wrong'?
              Do you doubt that < 5% of the US knows that the USA won the CONCACAF tournament?
              Fact is, although soccer is a very popular sport among the youth, it is lagging behind on the professional level in many different realms including what is advertised and shown on the media. The ratings for the CONCACAF viewing was miserable. Compared to the 'top four' sports, soccer is still treated like a cult event when it comes to the spotlight.

That might change, but, in this country, it doesn't seem like it is changing too quickly.

As a sport for the youth, I favor it, as well as lacrosse, over any of the others for its inclusiveness, speed, and fitness. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans still crave the 'top four' and constantly talk about their statistics. Haven't you heard the pathetic regurgitation of baseball stats of how a pitcher tends to throw a particular pitch to a particular batter more on a Tuesday than a Thursday??? Soccer has nothing like this and therefore, discussions about soccer games are quick and over while those of other sports linger on for years......

So....angry man....take your head out of the sand and try to understand what happens around you.....

Compare it to a FIBA international tournament, with marginal pro players.

Compare it the Hockey internationl tournaments, that have players no longer playing for the Cup.

Compare it to the Cotton Socks Bowl held on December 12th in Fort Wayne, IN.

The reality is bit-part tournaments, no matter who is playing and in what sport, don't have great ratings. Nor should they.

Pull your head outta' your arse and think a bit.

chucklin' quite a bit now.

Comment

And how many were Canadian? Probably 2/3s
                Dunno...I didn't check IDs. I suppose they could've dressed up in American colors though they were Canadian.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Dunno...I didn't check IDs. I suppose they could've dressed up in American colors though they were Canadian.....
                  Because the blue in the American flag is such a tell. Sure hope no one was wearing a Canadian flag shirt with a pair of jeans. Sounds like it would have thrown you.

Comment

Compare it to a FIBA international tournament, with marginal pro players.

Compare it the Hockey internationl tournaments, that have players no longer playing for the Cup.

Compare it to the Cotton Socks Bowl held on December 12th in Fort Wayne, IN.

The reality is bit-part tournaments, no matter who is playing and in what sport, don't have great ratings. Nor should they.

Pull your head outta' your arse and think a bit.

chucklin' quite a bit now.

Wow...I guess you are the only one that I know that can imagine being flexible enough to stick your own head up your 'arse'. I am not so, until then I will continue to be aware of the world around me.

First, we are not discussing international audiences.

Second, as for other sports, there is more attention paid toward the college football bowls than soccer tournaments in the US....or even ones that US teams are involved in. As an aside, we can agree that the college football bowl scene has become ridiculous.

Third, now that you have brought up college stuff, the following of college soccer is abysmal and the audience that pays attention to it is small. In fact, although a boring sport, more follow college baseball then soccer. Certainly college lacrosse (D1) has taken off and more popular to follow than college soccer.

You are still yet to answer or respond to the fact that this country barely knows that the CONCACAF tournament was ever played!!!

After high school and pre college, soccer starts to be ignored throughout the US. Blame it on the media and industry if you want, but it is a reality.

If you were to stop smelling the 'roses' that you feel are falling from your 'arse' then you would see it too.

Comment

Wow...I guess you are the only one that I know that can imagine being flexible enough to stick your own head up your 'arse'. I am not so, until then I will continue to be aware of the world around me.

Second, as for other sports, there is more attention paid toward the college football bowls than soccer tournaments in the US....or even ones that US teams are involved in. As an aside, we can agree that the college football bowl scene has become ridiculous.

Third, now that you have brought up college stuff, the following of college soccer is abysmal and the audience that pays attention to it is small. In fact, although a boring sport, more follow college baseball then soccer. Certainly college lacrosse (D1) has taken off and more popular to follow than college soccer.

You are still yet to answer or respond to the fact that this country barely knows that the CONCACAF tournament was ever played!!!

After high school and pre college, soccer starts to be ignored throughout the US. Blame it on the media and industry if you want, but it is a reality.

If you were to stop smelling the 'roses' that you feel are falling from your 'arse' then you would see it too.
                      Yes, the many of the country didn't know it was played. Because, it's not a well-known tournament. Just like the others mentioned. So, they are in-line with visibility and audience as comparable tournaments in other sports. Which, proves my point.

Comment

Well, I guess most of what you say is true to a point. The big point is most of the stuff your talking about has to do with what's on tv. How often is college soccer on for people to follow it? I think people started
                        To follow college baseball because it was on ESPN non stop for about a month. College lax same thing once the tournament started it was on tv. The gold cup I watched but most of the games were on later at night due to being on the west coast. You can't compare college football to soccer just cause football is on just about every channel in the fall on Saturdays.
                        One point it's baseball season now who are the Red Sox playing and what's their record how many people are watching them play?
                        I think soccer just needs to be on more.

Comment

thanks for answering the question

Yes, the many of the country didn't know it was played. Because, it's not a well-known tournament. Just like the others mentioned. So, they are in-line with visibility and audience as comparable tournaments in other sports. Which, proves my point.

The only point you prove is that the CONCACAF, which for the US is a very important tournament for the highest level of soccer in this country,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/so...icle-1.3174300
                          http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016...cacaf-gold-cup

was barely recognized by the US. It was nothing to the larger general population when compared to almost all the college soccer bowls (again so ridiculous to have so many bowls). ......and even less to any of the professional tournaments that are held in other sports.

The media doesn't hype it up and Americans barely know what to talk about after a soccer game. For example....'wow...great game....0-0 tie' compared to discussions about goals, assists, saves, penalty minutes, fights, ejections of the average hockey game....and both of these sports have fewer discussion points than basketball, baseball, or football. I think folk can talk for longer periods of time about tennis matches and golf tournaments than they do about soccer.

Comment

With all of the foreign leagues you can watch on tv in the us right now, along with MLS and the US National Team, you are off your rocker if you think Soccer is ignored in this country. Over any given week, I can watch more soccer games than baseball games right now, and I do.

While college lacrosse has taken off a bit, it is still less popular than college soccer. However outside of March Madness, hardly anyone watches any college sports. Unless you go to that school, it really is a watch the pro's or nothing at all mentality in this country.

I agree that it is a shame more people don't know about the US MNT winning the gold cup, but it did make it to the front page of most sport sites, such as ESPN.
                            So it does have a following that is growing more than any other sport in the US right now!

Any given day I see people, kids and adults, wearing pro team soccer jersey's, usually Eurpoean team's. That did not happen 10 years ago!

Comment

No. Mid-level international tournaments without countries top players which mean nothing on a grand scale, doesn't get a lot of press.

That's fine. Some watched it, some didn't. I watched a little, and I pretty much don't go a day without watching soccer in some form.

Why it bothers you that some do enjoy it, and who see the successes in the last two decades, I find curious.

To spend so much time proving a wrong, sounds like you are threatened. Or, your just the class bully who aces math and shoves it down the other kids' throats who don't. Either way, time to move on. I'll let you reply and have the joy of the last word.

Comment

The only point you prove is that the CONCACAF, which for the US is a very important tournament for the highest level of soccer in this country,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/so...icle-1.3174300
                                http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016...cacaf-gold-cup

was barely recognized by the US. It was nothing to the larger general population when compared to almost all the college soccer bowls (again so ridiculous to have so many bowls). ......and even less to any of the professional tournaments that are held in other sports.

The media doesn't hype it up and Americans barely know what to talk about after a soccer game. For example....'wow...great game....0-0 tie' compared to discussions about goals, assists, saves, penalty minutes, fights, ejections of the average hockey game....and both of these sports have fewer discussion points than basketball, baseball, or football. I think folk can talk for longer periods of time about tennis matches and golf tournaments than they do about soccer.
                                Your an idiot if you think any of those sports has more to talk about than soccer. It only shows your ignorance of the game and your lack of ability to grasp the simplest of concepts.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X