Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The more important question is how many of those "top players" look back after 5-10 years and say missing those events like family holidays, proms, etc was beneficial to their soccer development or their personal development? How many of them would do it all again, knowing where they ended up and where friends who didn't miss out on those events ended up?

I don't have a dog in this fight. My kid is not a top player in Oregon. But I feel very strongly that the top players in Oregon will be "found" even if they choose to spend Thanksgiving with their families.
    There are a couple kids on the team that are doing this for their parents not for themselves.

Comment

There are a couple kids on the team that are doing this for their parents not for themselves.
      Makes sense as they are Kids not adults.

Comment

If you have to give us high school and family events to get good at soccer then the NSFW Thorns are the right avenue. You can always try to make friends with the girls on the team if you need that sort of thing.
        On the boys side there are some issues over the years with interpersonal stuff but even in the face of that there are some friendships that emerge.

Comment

On the boys side there are some issues over the years with interpersonal stuff but even in the face of that there are some friendships that emerge.
          Just keep an eye on the kids. I have heard some of the bad stories but they were on long bus rides where the kids were not being well supervised.

Comment

Just keep an eye on the kids. I have heard some of the bad stories but they were on long bus rides where the kids were not being well supervised.
            What were the issues?

Comment

What were the issues?
              Let's just say there was some plastic wrap and lots of butter involved

Comment

The more important question is how many of those "top players" look back after 5-10 years and say missing those events like family holidays, proms, etc was beneficial to their soccer development or their personal development? How many of them would do it all again, knowing where they ended up and where friends who didn't miss out on those events ended up?

I don't have a dog in this fight. My kid is not a top player in Oregon. But I feel very strongly that the top players in Oregon will be "found" even if they choose to spend Thanksgiving with their families.
                I'll tell you one perspective. we qualified for nationals one year, (ok, it was the equivalent of US Club Soccer Nationals,) but we were from a poor town and could not afford to go. it's literally 20 years later and that is one of my biggest disappointments. (yes, i've been very blessed.)

Comment

I'll tell you one perspective. we qualified for nationals one year, (ok, it was the equivalent of US Club Soccer Nationals,) but we were from a poor town and could not afford to go. it's literally 20 years later and that is one of my biggest disappointments. (yes, i've been very blessed.)
                  Your team from a "poor town" won Regionals I. '97 and didn't go to Nationals? What team was this?

Comment

Let's just say there was some plastic wrap and lots of butter involved
                    What happened?

Comment

Only their parents think they are the top players.

When was the last time someone from Oregon was on a national team? Not camp but on the national team.
                      They probably meant Interregional at Thanksgiving.
                      2016-Brian Carmona (2002)
                      2016-Stuart Heringer, Anthony Robertson (2003)
                      2015-Andres Labate(2002 All-Star, Westside)

ODP Thanksgiving Interregional All-Stars travel to compete in Argentina
                      2016- Andres Labate (2002,Westside)

Looking up things though for National Teams, the most recent I see are
                      2016-2014- Adrian Villegas (Westside/Timbers DA)-U17, U16 US Men's National Team
                      2014- 2012- Rubio Rubin (Westside/?) U20(2 games?), U17 US Men's National Team, signed with FC Utrecht on his 18th birthday.

Going further back:
                      Danny Mwanga (Westside)
                      Chad Barrett (Westside)
                      Ryan Cochran (club?)

I thought a female player (FC?) attend National Camp in 2016? Westside has a female player that has been playing for Portugal's Women's National team.

Any more players to add?

Comment

They probably meant Interregional at Thanksgiving.
                        2016-Brian Carmona (2002)
                        2016-Stuart Heringer, Anthony Robertson (2003)
                        2015-Andres Labate(2002 All-Star, Westside)

ODP Thanksgiving Interregional All-Stars travel to compete in Argentina
                        2016- Andres Labate (2002,Westside)

Looking up things though for National Teams, the most recent I see are
                        2016-2014- Adrian Villegas (Westside/Timbers DA)-U17, U16 US Men's National Team
                        2014- 2012- Rubio Rubin (Westside/?) U20(2 games?), U17 US Men's National Team, signed with FC Utrecht on his 18th birthday.

Going further back:
                        Danny Mwanga (Westside)
                        Chad Barrett (Westside)
                        Ryan Cochran (club?)

I thought a female player (FC?) attend National Camp in 2016? Westside has a female player that has been playing for Portugal's Women's National team.

Any more players to add?
                        2008 D. Corea, Eastside, U17NT
                        2008 E. Hurtado, Westside, U18NT

I think Cochran was westside.

Comment

2008 D. Corea, Eastside, U17NT
                          2008 E. Hurtado, Westside, U18NT

I think Cochran was westside.
                          2010 Mikhail Doholis, U17NT
                          2010 Steven Evans, U20NT
                          2008 Josh Miller, Grant HS, Westside, Princeton U14NT

2008-2012 Courtney Verloo U17, U20, U23

Comment

As someone who personally knows kids who gave up their Thanksgivings with families, I can tell you that every single one of them said that they did get homesick, but they were living their dreams and had no regrets. One of them is 32 now and he is still playing in the MLS. He is extremely happy with his decisions. They all missed school events soccer. These kids also had strong supportive families, friends, coaches, and teams. None of us can judge anyone or their families for how they choose to spend their holidays. It comes down to how well-grounded these players are and having positive support.

Any regrets for missing school events years later down the road, can also be expressed by any other child who chose not to participate in school social events. Plenty of kids chose not going to the dances-partly because of the rules placed on the the students. Adults not liking the music, students not liking the music, adults not liking the dances, students preferring to go to private parties, the list goes on...

Comment

"17 04's passed" seems ridiculously high. I can think of one washington kids and a few pcu kids. All westside invites and ADF invites were accepted i think. Maybe there were 13 invitees not on those teams that turned it down but that seems unlikely.

Comment

"17 04's passed" seems ridiculously high. I can think of one washington kids and a few pcu kids. All westside invites and ADF invites were accepted i think. Maybe there were 13 invitees not on those teams that turned it down but that seems unlikely.
                                5 out of 7 '04s invited from WashT declined the offer to join the Timbers Academy. All felt that there was better coaching at WashT.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X